ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Have to part company with GB270 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2008 | 09:11 AM
rentaghost
Scooby Newbie

Default Have to part company with GB270 wagon

Bit of advice needed

Unfortunately we have decided after only a short time that our GB270 wagon has to be sold. Without going into too much detail we have a baby and the car just isn't suitable. I don't totally regret buying it as I had to get owning a Scooby out of my system.

Anyway - what is the best way to sell a nearly new Scooby ?

My wife is going to ring the local subaru dealers today to see if they want to buy it back, or we may trade it in, or sell privately.

Any thoughts

Thanks
Old 03 January 2008 | 09:21 AM
beal
Scooby Regular

Sell it private mate,dealers will not offer you much
Old 03 January 2008 | 09:40 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

baby should fit in fine due to isofix anchors-very safe for baby
martin
Old 03 January 2008 | 10:43 AM
rentaghost
Scooby Newbie

baby fits in fine but doesn't sleep due to road noise,

basically we need a more comfy, refined, economical estate car.

Yeah I know I must have known this when I bought it but I needed to buy a scooby.
Old 03 January 2008 | 10:47 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Noisekiller sorted by bugeye out and the wife and kids were happy

Can't help with the fuel though
Old 03 January 2008 | 10:55 AM
Hanky
Scooby Newbie

My nine-month old daughter sleeps really well in the Spec.D with PPP, although I also managed to get her to sleep in the Exige, so I must just be lucky!

But she quite often doesn't sleep at night in the comfort and peace of her own cot?

Dealers will take the michael!
Old 03 January 2008 | 12:30 PM
Xia
Scooby Regular

Dont give up that quickly,
I also have a WRX PPP Wagon, a wife and a 13 month baby.
Bought the car as our familly car a year ago. Works a treat. My daughter doesn't sleep in the car, but thats nothing to do with the noise, she just love watching around.
When younger (3-4 month), she would cry every time the car stopped and start chuckling when I was booting it.

Fully loaded with roof box, my wife went to France with it and back for Christmas.
Old 03 January 2008 | 12:32 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

There was one recently on Ebay 2007 SUBARU IMPREZA GB270 GREY on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 19-Dec-07 18:30:58 GMT) - bid to £13600 but didn't meet reserve.
Old 03 January 2008 | 01:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by rentaghost

basically we need a more comfy, refined, economical estate car.

Yeah I know I must have known this when I bought it but I needed to buy a scooby.
"View My Scoob" for the more refined but just as much fun version. Cheaper than a GB edition too!

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 03 January 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03 January 2008 | 01:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

A scoob make a very good family car IMHO..

Admitted with a 4yr old and a 10mth old it's a bit of a squeeze at times, but they both sleep very well and are safe with ISOFIX seats fitted.

In fact, the exhaust note helps my two sleep better..!

This is in a far from standard wrx btw.. Standard should be very comfy..

Try and give it a go, you might be surprised and you'll be better off selling a 12mth old car than one so young as yours..!
Old 03 January 2008 | 03:15 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
A scoob make a very good family car IMHO..

Admitted with a 4yr old and a 10mth old it's a bit of a squeeze at times, but they both sleep very well and are safe with ISOFIX seats fitted.

In fact, the exhaust note helps my two sleep better..!

This is in a far from standard wrx btw.. Standard should be very comfy..

Try and give it a go, you might be surprised and you'll be better off selling a 12mth old car than one so young as yours..!
I agree,i had a 3 door car when we had our son so needed a bigger 4 door car,not regreted the wagon for one second since,practicle,safe,fun to drive and even with the admitidly louder exhaust i have the nipper can still sleep ok in it when needed..... deff agree on the financial side of things,dealers will give you bottom book for it and thats a no no,if you do have to sell it then the hassle of a private sale is the only way to go,bright side is the GB270 wagon is by a lot of peoples view a far better looking car than the saloon version,i think it will be a bit of a valued car in the future being the last of the line and with all the extras it came with,id stick it out for a while and see how it goes,sell it now and you might very well regret it soon.
Old 03 January 2008 | 03:32 PM
Scooby Senior

Why not just change to an STi BBox or the MY05 WRX pea shooter and put the normal WRX springs back on ? These parts will be almost free if you put a note in the wanted section. You could change the arb back very easily too, to the 18mm wrx one. Do this and it will be much more bearable I promise you. This wouldn't cost very much at all and would be be a damn sight cheaper than what you are going to lose 'big time' on depreciation. You can then put it back the way it was when the kid is a bit older.

Me thinks the wife regrets you buying it !

FWIW I have had a PPP scoob with PD springs through two babies with no space or noise issues.

The other thing to do is to sell the tyres and get some Mich PS2's which are very comfortable and will more than compensate for the 18's.

There is a much better way to solve your problem than getting rid.
Old 03 January 2008 | 04:04 PM
Xia
Scooby Regular

didn't realised that the GB270 had 18 and prodrive spring....
Exchange your 18 against some standard 17 + money and the comfort will be back.
Old 03 January 2008 | 04:15 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You will lose a fortune if you sell now, how do you know its road noise keeping your child awake and not the childseat?

Your little un maybe a one off, but I find it hard to believe that road noise would keep him/her awake, my lad is out in a flash when he travels in my throttle bodied 205 and that is LOUD!!!

Or just buy your kid some earmuffs.
Old 03 January 2008 | 04:23 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

look at my scooby i had wife 5 yr old and 1/12 old across europe to phantasialand/nurburgring so there is hope
martin
Old 03 January 2008 | 04:45 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Surprised nobody has mentioned a road trip to Portugal yet
Old 03 January 2008 | 04:59 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Are you insane, just get the littleun' a set of earmuffs or plugs and bobs your uncle!!

G
Old 03 January 2008 | 05:06 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

nice one magic greg
martin
Old 03 January 2008 | 07:06 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

guys if the car was right for him, I'm sure he would keep it (but it isnt), lovely car bt the way ,

your best bet is private all the way, sell it privately and buy privately, find out what subaru would give you cash, and depending on how quickly you want to sell depends on how much you ask for it, be prepared to be shafted though
Old 03 January 2008 | 07:35 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Sacrifices have to be made.

Sell the kid.

Problem solved AND you make a tidy little sum into the bargain!
Old 03 January 2008 | 07:47 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

LOL... my hawkeye with PPP, 18s and prodrive springs is like a limo compared to my old classic (full decat, coilovers, 18s etc). I picked our little girl up from the hospital at 2 days old in the classic and she didn't wake up, trips to wales etc when she was a few months old and again no probs sleeping. As others have said, its when the car stopped she woke up and complained.

Are you sure its the unsuitability for a child that makes you want to sell the car, sounds like an excuse to me. Be prepared to get shafted selling by any method on a car that young.... £1000s down the drain!

Tony.
Old 03 January 2008 | 09:33 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

Bit of advice needed

Unfortunately we have decided after only a short time that our GB270 wagon has to be sold. Without going into too much detail we have a baby and the car just isn't suitable. I don't totally regret buying it as I had to get owning a Scooby out of my system.

Anyway - what is the best way to sell a nearly new Scooby ?

My wife is going to ring the local subaru dealers today to see if they want to buy it back, or we may trade it in, or sell privately.

Any thoughts

Thanks
how much do you want for it mate??
Old 05 January 2008 | 01:44 PM
rentaghost
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the responses, and for everyone's enthusiasm re keeping the scooby. I take all the points made.

However the question remains how best to sell not whether to sell.
There may be a stay of execution for the 270 if figures look dreadful, and certainly they do at the moment with the dealers offering 18k on a car which cost 24500 3 months ago.

We will try advertising privately in the next week

Whilst it's a bit of a disaster for us re depreciation - someone's going to get an as new GB270 Wagon at an excellent price - so there will be a new happy scooby owner out there soon hopefully.
Old 05 January 2008 | 02:14 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Some dealers have been doing pre-reg saloons for near 20k i'm afraid so that'll be about the best to hope for. Shame you've got to lose it though, we bought our waon because it would be safe and practical. The AWD in poor weather is worth the effort alone not to mention the huge load space.

Can recommend the mondeo ghia X TDCi estate. Parents have one, no where near as quick as a scooby of course but massive inside, fully loaded and silent as you like.

5t.
Old 05 January 2008 | 02:57 PM
rentaghost
Scooby Newbie

Yep saloons on for near 20 but last time I checked there were 2 wagons on the dealer network for £21,500ish. Delivery miles. Cloth interior whereas mine has full leather.
Old 05 January 2008 | 03:33 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Plus, nobody wants the GB270 saloons (hence the discount)... and the GB270 wagons are waaaay more desireable.

If you want mate, PM me the details of your car and I can see if I can get a bid on the car for you?? Also, where are you based??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 January 2008 | 03:39 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

my 10 months old girl sleeps in my classic with a full blitz nur spec r system, but know what you are saying about the noils, i have got to sell my blitz to get a quiter exhaust :-(
Old 05 January 2008 | 04:46 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the responses, and for everyone's enthusiasm re keeping the scooby. I take all the points made.

However the question remains how best to sell not whether to sell.
There may be a stay of execution for the 270 if figures look dreadful, and certainly they do at the moment with the dealers offering 18k on a car which cost 24500 3 months ago.

We will try advertising privately in the next week

Whilst it's a bit of a disaster for us re depreciation - someone's going to get an as new GB270 Wagon at an excellent price - so there will be a new happy scooby owner out there soon hopefully.

£18k is not a bad offer from a dealer - doubt you would get any more private sale. New (pre-registered) saloons are available from dealers at £19k and there is a wagon at £21k.
Old 05 January 2008 | 08:09 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Strange, as the only guaranteed method of getting our two to sleep is to take them out in my car!

Maybe it would better/cheaper reducing the noise coming from your missus?
Old 06 January 2008 | 05:48 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Plus, nobody wants the GB270 saloons (hence the discount)... and the GB270 wagons are waaaay more desireable.
Wagons more desirable than the saloons........ now theres a turn up

Quick Reply: Have to part company with GB270 wagon