Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The car market and Subaru's in general...

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2008, 05:11 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The car market and Subaru's in general...

So what's going on with the Impreza market at the moment... I'm selling my car and I've had not a lot of interest at all, I think it's reasonably priced for what it is, and I simply think with the price of fuel going up and car tax, I'm really going to struggle to get anything for the car at all!!

Should I just keep my baby and wait for later in the year?

Subaru : 340BHP WRX with STI Upgrades (UK Model)

Last edited by [MikeyB]; 03 January 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03 January 2008, 05:29 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Fedora pads

TBH its only an upgraded WRX. Assuming that the upgrades are worth nothing, the book price would be nearer £8k. You are selling to a limited market with those type of mods. IMO most people wanting a car like that would do the work themselves. Therefore it is overpriced for a quick sale. But you might be lucky if the right person comes along.
Old 03 January 2008, 05:31 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Not a good time of year to sell

p.s. Change "only runs on v-power" to "only ever run on v-power" ?
Old 03 January 2008, 05:47 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

It's a nice car but you are looking at about a 9k book price for a WRX of that age and mileage.

I'm in a similar boat to yourself, not many punters consider mods as adding value.
Old 03 January 2008, 05:51 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

mods rarely add value, unfotunate but true

plus it seems that imprezas are so cheap and readily available everywhere that the market is a bit flooded

couple that to the cost of fuel and then the changes in the road tax brackets........

not too many people are jumping at the chance to own 1
Old 03 January 2008, 06:37 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

not a good time of year. Most people have no money or are in debt !
id keep and sell in spring/summer.

The price is tooo much as well!!

I know you have spent loads on it but you could get a much lower milage one for cheaper.
Old 03 January 2008, 08:53 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Know what you all mean, but to be fair, it is a modded WRX with a book price of around 8K, but then again it's got a brand spanking new STI engine!

Shame really, no chance I'll sell her for less than 10K....
Old 03 January 2008, 09:15 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

I think the market is fairly flooded with relatively high milage multi owner cars which makes them hard to sell.I would think low milage 1 owner cars with sensible mods if any are always going to be quite easy to sell for sensible money
Old 03 January 2008, 09:30 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

Im having trouble selling mine too. Not had much interest at all. Its a pain, as Ive really got to sell it from a financial point of view.
Old 03 January 2008, 09:37 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Panthro
Im having trouble selling mine too. Not had much interest at all. Its a pain, as Ive really got to sell it from a financial point of view.
out of interest whats the milage and the amount of owners on your car,and how much are you asking.JAY
Old 03 January 2008, 09:53 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jay knowles
out of interest whats the milage and the amount of owners on your car,and how much are you asking.JAY
see here - 2 previous owners before me.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...pe-uk-ppp.html
Old 03 January 2008, 10:28 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the sale.Jay
Old 03 January 2008, 10:34 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rec ently traded my 53 plate wrx in with 35k and only manage £8200 - sti8 spoiler, sti fogcovers, colour coded skirts

i removed what i could Blitz exhaust, filter, etc and sold them seperate as they didn't add to the p/x price

Maybe you could put most of the standard parts back on and sell them seperate and lower the car price?
Old 04 January 2008, 10:35 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, was that against a brand new car, a Subaru, or another brand?
Old 04 January 2008, 11:00 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
I rec ently traded my 53 plate wrx in with 35k and only manage £8200 - sti8 spoiler, sti fogcovers, colour coded skirts

i removed what i could Blitz exhaust, filter, etc and sold them seperate as they didn't add to the p/x price

Maybe you could put most of the standard parts back on and sell them seperate and lower the car price?
I was offered 9k yesterday on PX for my 53WRX with 40k. Mods were taken into consideration as the dealer sells cars with modifications as well as stockers.

If you can find a mod sympathetic dealer then that is your best bet.
Old 04 January 2008, 11:22 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the time of year.. I've had a few offers for my classic but not what I want, but hey im not desperate to sell
Old 04 January 2008, 12:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
So what's going on with the Impreza market at the moment... I'm selling my car and I've had not a lot of interest at all, I think it's reasonably priced for what it is, and I simply think with the price of fuel going up and car tax, I'm really going to struggle to get anything for the car at all!!

Should I just keep my baby and wait for later in the year?

Subaru : 340BHP WRX with STI Upgrades (UK Model)
For me the first thing that would warn me off is the fact it's had a new engine. All thiose mods screem to me (and others) that it's been tuned for a reason. To be thrashed.

If I was looking for my first or new Impreza, I'd always go standard. Any upgrades I'd want doing by me.

This is my personal opinion of course, but that my well be why it ain't selling.

Plus, have you seen how many Impreza's are up for sale on Pistonheads? Over 900. That is a lot of cars to chose from. Low MPG and high running costs are putting more and more people off buying them.

If Ford announce the new RS is AWD, I'll be looking to sell mine (MY 05 STI PPP with spring kit and PFF7 Alloys) and I'm dredding it. I know it could take months to sell privately or not at all. I may have to take what ever a Subaru dealer would give me for it, or risk the Ford dealer giving me even less come trade-in.

My only hope is that with the new Impreza being soo damn ugly, interest in 3 year old STI's may start to improve.
Old 04 January 2008, 02:04 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

So long as you're in no hurry to sell (state of the market dictates this - so many cars & so few buyers) then a good car at the right price will eventually be bought. Just sold a W reg Audi TT 225 after waiting 3 months for anyone to look at it; sold to that person.

TX.

Edit - looking at your add & IMHO you should alter the wording. Spent £30k in 2yrs may be putting people off as could the new engine bit (wouldn't put me off mind or indeed should it put off anybody "in the know"). I'd also note that as you have spent £30k then a £10k purchase price seems reasonable Worst case is to remove mods, sell on their own & sell your WRX at WRX money

Last edited by Terminator X; 04 January 2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04 January 2008, 03:23 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice mate, I totally understand your point you're reading it from.

I was meaning it was a good thing, "Buy a car for 10K which has had 30K spent on it in 2 years" point of view... meaning everything is now new and should last another 100,000 miles or so!

I might totally reword the article and see what happens.

On another point, I think a new engine is a good thing, or at least I would of thought so, and the engine hasn't been put in there to be thrashed, I'm 100% confident people who knew the car and me would agree the car gets more love and attention that anything else in my life! Sad but true!

The car only runs on the best oils, petrols, gets warmed up, and down, never gets thrashed etc...

But again, point taken as no body will know this unless they know me and my passion for cars.