Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Evo magazines rating for new STi

Subaru Impreza | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

Not the best write up a new cars ever received
Old 03 January 2008, 07:38 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not the best review but its not the best scoob by a long shot..
i think prices on old scoobs will stay good as people will just not want the new one.... imo
Old 03 January 2008, 07:47 PM
Steve169
Scooby Regular

Thats the STi ? it still look ****ing horrible
Old 03 January 2008, 07:49 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The main problem I have with that review is that the main complaint (other than the interior plastics... I didn't realise Evo had gone so What Car?) is that you can't get the **** out without turning off all the driver aids.

Yes, because I provoke that "tail end flourish" in my STI every single time I drive it! I can't wait to terrify other drivers on roundabouts by exiting them sideways, just to show what my car can do!

So driver aids on - its safe, predictable, even dull perhaps? Driver aids on the middle position, and its a bit more lively, but still not twitchy enough to catch you out and throw you into a inconveniently placed house near a junction. Driver aids off.. and whooooooooo tail out all the way.

Now. I'm not being funny when I say this - nor am I being a Subaru fan boy. But.. isn't that the whole POINT of driver aids?

So the criticism laid at the door of the new STI in the Evo review is a) interior plastics are a bit naff (I haven't bought any of my cars on the basis of their dashboard plastic - and I'd hate to meet any utter dullard who would), b) it looks a bit naff (all Imprezas have looked a bit silly... so - big deal), c) the driver aids do exactly what they're meant to (hmmmm... now.. I'm not sure where to start ridiculing that for being a stupid thing to complain about).
Old 03 January 2008, 08:12 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Driver aids also tend to detract from the enjoyment of the car which is what EVO-ness is all about. Probably why they rated it poorly and most likely why they'd tell you a Lotus Cortina is a 1000 times more entertaining.
Also the reason why the older Subaru cars are better...........
Old 03 January 2008, 08:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I can safely say I'll never be buying one
Old 03 January 2008, 08:26 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It looks no better than a £15K Leon... in fact it probably looks worse and cheaper hence to part with that cash for one you'd be stupid as they will drop a shed load of cash v v quickly! Throw in the running costs for such a car and...

RIP Impreza.

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2008, 08:26 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might well be worth the wait for the new Focus RS
Old 03 January 2008, 08:32 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Driver aids also tend to detract from the enjoyment of the car which is what EVO-ness is all about. Probably why they rated it poorly and most likely why they'd tell you a Lotus Cortina is a 1000 times more entertaining.
Also the reason why the older Subaru cars are better...........
With that logic the new M3, and Evo X are utter pants as well then?

I understand what your saying - and if the driving aids weren't able to be turned off I'd accept your point; but they CAN be turned off, and by the way the review reads, gives a very good track performance when you do turn them off. When they're turned on, its a very 'safe' and predictable drive - not very "Evo" admittedly - but if we didn't want a safe and predictable drive 95% of the time we'd all be tearing around in pinto powered Caterhams.

We all know that Subaru have softened the Impreza futher, just like Honda did with the Civic, I'm not denying that - but I'm pretty sure we could go back 6 years and find almost identical posts about my beloved newage when it came out.

Last edited by Prasius; 03 January 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03 January 2008, 08:44 PM
Dirty Bus
Scooby Regular

I'M gonna buy one. I think it will look okay in the flesh and will be a hoot to drive, Old shape subarus are starting to look crap anyway
Old 03 January 2008, 08:45 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I think what they are saying is that the Subaru doesn't compete with the likes of the EVO or M3 in terms of driving enjoyment with or without driving aids.

They criticise it for

a>looking crap

b>feeling crap

c>driving crap without switching off all aids

I think the point is you can leave the aids on with the m3,evo,etc and still have some fun.

Sadly it seems you can't with the Impreza and it doesn't have anything else to offer.

Certainly you'd have to be a die hard without regard for wallet or driving pleasure to buy one. Or like dirty bus above and not believing what everyone else in the world is saying.
Old 03 January 2008, 09:37 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The whole point is that no Subaru should have any driver aids other than a form of DCCD !
Old 03 January 2008, 09:40 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Max Power fan boys/girls will love this car... god help us
Old 03 January 2008, 09:42 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

This sums it up nicely:

First, though, there’s the matter of how the STI looks. Let’s just say to the bug-eyed, pre-final-facelift, second-generation Impreza, all is forgiven.
Old 03 January 2008, 09:53 PM
greylag
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down too little too late

I wouldn't waste my time even considering the latest dreadful incarnation of the wrx and sti.If sales crash,as i suspect they will, subaru will do yet another emergency redesign and we may get the car we deserve,just maybe.
Old 03 January 2008, 09:56 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think Subaru miss the point that people who want this car, want it to be super fast, relatively cheap to buy, and not be slower than the original that came out 14years ago ! No one will buy an Impreza depending on the level of comfort or sound proofing, or cruising ability, and if they do, they buy it for that over a certain Evo lol.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:06 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Max Power fan boys/girls will love this car... god help us
Like they don't love our cars?
Old 03 January 2008, 10:07 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigyp
i think prices on old scoobs will stay good as people will just not want the new one.... imo
Say it enough times and you'll even start to believe it!
Old 04 January 2008, 12:41 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Top Gear like it

Top Gear | Subaru Impreza WRX STi Car Review | December 21, 2007

TX.
Old 04 January 2008, 01:03 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

TBH.

WTF is new Most of the "Posters" that flame the 08 sTi on this and other WEB sites, have never seen, have never sat in a STi and never even driven in one they have only seen "Internet pictures" sorry but are "tossers" IMHO just like the "standard internet sheep" that follows the crowd

and none wouldn't buy it because
1) It even if they had the money they would never buy a new car anyway
2) have never brought a new car in the last 5 years
3) believe a "Classic" is a decendant of god and would be the only new car the would ever own

OK look at it, sit it and then drive it, if you then hate it , then great post it up and I can then appriecate your post

Tony
Old 04 January 2008, 01:18 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
3) believe a "Classic" is a decendant of god and would be the only new car the would ever own

Tony
LOL...

Tony.
Old 04 January 2008, 03:30 AM
Mike Nippon
Scooby Newbie

TBH.

WTF is new Most of the "Posters" that flame the 08 sTi on this and other WEB sites, have never seen, have never sat in a STi and never even driven in one they have only seen "Internet pictures" sorry but are "tossers" IMHO just like the "standard internet sheep" that follows the crowd

OK look at it, sit it and then drive it, if you then hate it , then great post it up and I can then appriecate your post

Tony
That is a very valid point. When I first saw pics of the 08, I didn't like it. So when I saw the car in my local shop I had to go to see it. Anyway, was offered a test drive as soon as I got there
The new car is much more refined than previous, quieter, comfortable and a much smoother drive. My wife even remarked from the passenger seat that it wasn't the same as my 04, meaning it didn't take off quite the same.
Don't forget that some of the points made by current Subaru owners condemning this car are exactly what will make other non Subaru owners buy one. I actually liked the new comfort levels.
My only disappointment was that Subaru are a bit in the game with dual clutch paddle shift box. Like it or loath it thats the way things are going and will be interesting to see how the Evo with the system sells.
I for one would buy the new STI if I was in the market for a new car.

I tried this one

Old 04 January 2008, 07:44 AM
NACRO
BANNED

TBH.

Tony
It isn't possible to 'flame' a car, it's an object not a person, you're guilty of automobile anthropomorphism.

Furthermore it's quite possible to give an opinion on what the thing looks like without driving it and frankly it's an abomination but I guess we all know that.

It's also quite valid to listen to the opinion of the motoring press, if only for the reason that the drubbing they've given the car mean you will experience eye watering depreciation if you are foolish enough to purchase a new Subaru Impreza- wrx or sti.

Lastly when they get some over here I'll be interested to see if it's as poor as everyone is saying for myself.
Old 04 January 2008, 09:18 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Well tbh what did everyone expect as soon as Toyota got involved ...looks like the <cough> 'designer' <cough> of this beauty might have had a hand in the new Impreza too

http://imgmoto.trojmiasto.pl/moto/ta...toyota_002.jpg
Old 04 January 2008, 09:32 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Never had a classic all mine were new age or middle aged now

I actually don't mind the look, the classic is now woefully outdated. I remember when the bugeye came out, all the comparisons with the ugly toyota corolla at the time, so nowt new there. The reason I won't entertain it, is that one of the criteria I have for a car is decent residuals, and I'm afraid that is where the Impreza has now let itself down. Additionally, there are more alternatives that do 95% plus of the performance with better residuals, build quality, exclusivity etc etc

Audi S3, BMW 135 Coupe are two in a similar price bracket, then think of the Golf Gti 30, Leon FR, Focus ST at 7-8 grand cheaper.

Simple economics for me. Won't stop me being interested in it though, and I'd still love to have one.
Old 04 January 2008, 10:08 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

TBH.

Tony
Good points well made

It still looks rubbish though and I'll never buy one
Old 04 January 2008, 10:28 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Wink

So the criticism laid at the door of the new STI in the Evo review is a) interior plastics are a bit naff (I haven't bought any of my cars on the basis of their dashboard plastic - and I'd hate to meet any utter dullard who would), b) it looks a bit naff (all Imprezas have looked a bit silly... so - big deal), c) the driver aids do exactly what they're meant to (hmmmm... now.. I'm not sure where to start ridiculing that for being a stupid thing to complain about).[/QUOTE]

Well said! There are far too many 'pro German' UK car mags that bang on in great depth about cabin plastics. I too have never bought a car dependent on the type of cabin plastics used. I have, however, bought cars in the past with very high quality cabin plastics, yet the way the drove was nowhere near how any of my Scooby's did! (Which for me is the most important thing, how the car actually drives in all weather conditions).
Old 04 January 2008, 10:33 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Tony,

I understand the sentiment behind your post, so take what I'm about to say with the good nature that it is meant (ie, as a mate! ) but with all due respect, many posters will base their opinion on just exactly what you're saying they shouldn't - looks alone. Bear in mind that many posters will have other deciding factors (such as "other halfs"!) who see the car and just say "no"! May I also refer you back to a certain other half who said that the Type R had to go because of the uncomfortable seats......

However, whilst you accuse and label many posters as "tossers" for their negative feedback based on preliminary views and internet gossip. On the flip side of the coin, it could be argued that your post is the "subaru fan-boy" approach...... and regardless of the smilies, could be classed as trolling, despite the frustration and annoyance that it hides

At the end of the day, at circa £28K, there's a lot of good cars, and styling will come in to play. It may be THE next rally monster and win Subaru every WRC championship for the next 10 years, but it is no longer a cheap and cheerful rice rocket. Subaru have attempted to up the anti, and move into a different class of car market that is currently dominated by cars that have better build quality and stronger residuals (let's face it, a NEW Subaru has been a very expensive loss for the last few years when p-ex'ing or selling).

I'm certainly no fan of the new car, but I do understand that technically it could be a very good car. But I've had my fun with Subarus, and have moved on. Others who have been negative may be thinking that this is the natural time to move on too.

With reference to the waiting to hear peoples' comments after they test driven it, hey. OK. But let's refer back to the famous post by Diablo - "Opinions are like ar$eholes - everybody's got one"...

Nobody's opinion on here or other BBSs actually counts at all. Not even mine

DAn

TBH.

OK look at it, sit it and then drive it, if you then hate it , then great post it up and I can then appreciate your post

Tony

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 04 January 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: saves repeating myself!!
Old 04 January 2008, 11:13 AM
NACRO
BANNED

A great post Dan and I agree with most of it save one comment:-

"Nobody's opinion actually counts at all"

Actually the buying publics opinion counts and they are going to kick Subaru right where it hurts sales wise over their failure to deliver.

Regarding styling and quality issues, what would you rather have

a> a car that looks good, has a decent interior and drives well (EVO)

or

b>a car that looks awful, has a crap interior and is supposed to be not very special to drive (new Sti)

It's a 'no brainer', subaru has lost it's advantages over the EVO, servicing is now the same, there is no flat four burble and the EVO is actually better to live with (particularly the fancy dsg style box). Game set and match to Mitsubishi.
Old 04 January 2008, 11:21 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Might well be worth the wait for the new Focus RS
Nope, it's going to be FWD mate. No thanks! I want a car where all the performance is available to me in all the gears, not restricted in the very gears where it can be fun to put your foot down legally and where the traffic light grand prix (if that's your thing) are decided.

Oh, I'm sure it'll have a clever diff to help cornering etc.. but that's a solution that wouldn't be required if they sent the drive where it should be i.e. the back or all four wheels!

I think we should wait till some of us having driven the new Sti before all the doom and gloom. So, it's a bit fugly, and the interior isn't quite Audi standards....who cares

I'll be keeping my classic though!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 January 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo magazines rating for new STi