Advice Needed - knob related

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2008, 10:08 AM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed - **** related

Just a bit of advice regarding my gearknob situation please,

I have an 02 Sti Type UK. It had a prodrive gearknob (6MT) on it but I wanted a standard one back on as the prodrive one was a bit tatty.

I bought a new one direct from Subaru and arranged it to be fitted by a local franchise that was close to work. Subaru told me the centre console had to come out so I thought it was best not to attempt it myself.

I took it in on Wednesday. They got the other off but tore chunks off it. I drove away and it was ok but then it stuck in the lift position.

I took it back the next day, they spent about an hour looking at it and then said it was fine - just needed some lubrication. When I got back in the car after work it was exactly the same - stuck in the lift position.

I phoned them and they said I would need a new cable. They feel it's just a co-incidence that it's happened when I got the gearknob changed and it would be chargeable.

When I checked they didn't take the centre console out when fitting as Subaru recommended.

What do people think? Should I take this further or should I pay for the repair and risk them knackering my car even more?
Old 04 January 2008, 04:46 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

Anyone?

Just some advice on if it's possible to cause the gearstick to stick in the lift position when changing the gearknob would be appreciated?
Old 04 January 2008, 04:51 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Doesn't the gearknob just screw on. No need to touch the reverse lift ring let alone the centre console?
I'm prepared to be corrected on this as I can't be bothered to walk outside and check mine
Old 04 January 2008, 06:43 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

mine is a 5 speed and the **** screws on,can't see the 6 speed being any different.
also i find it hard to believe that the cable has suddenly fooked up,more like the muppets have done something wrong,damaged inside of **** maybe?
there is no way i would take it back to the same place pop in to a subaru place and ask if they can get a technician to have a quick look.
Old 04 January 2008, 06:51 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine (04wrx 5 speed) and it was a 2 min job to unscrew old 1 and screw new 1 on
Is the STi different (you mention lift up)?
Old 04 January 2008, 09:07 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

I had a prodrive gearknob on my 03 sti. I had it replaced under warranty when the "p" fell off the top and all they had to do was unscrew it and replace with the new one. Took five minutes and no dismantling needed
Old 04 January 2008, 09:20 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Its just a screw on job. No need to touch the reverse lifter
Old 04 January 2008, 09:28 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should just unscrew. You can try it yourself. If you take if off you can find out if your gear selection is okay without it then...............
Old 04 January 2008, 10:21 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Confirmed:- for the Impreza STI (mine is a 05)6 speed the gear **** simply unscrews, done mine about 3 weeks ago now, had the standard black leather one, but replaced it with a Prodrive alloy one, took me 2 mins. No way did i think the centre console had to come out.

TimeWRX01:-Did you take it to the delaers for another problem regarding the lift reverse collar?, or just to have the gear **** changed?
Old 05 January 2008, 01:47 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Who said taking your car to Subaru for a service was a better option! LOL. 100% screw off, screw on job, they are clowns/cowboys, delete as required!!
Old 05 January 2008, 10:06 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

As above - changed mine while waiting for the bloke in front to fill his car with petrol.
Old 05 January 2008, 10:45 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

There,s a pin that goes horizontally through the lift collar that picks up the end of the lift cable. If this has been interfered with and one end left sticking out a bit this may cause the jamming you're suffering.

As said above there was no need for the garage to touch this. Another thought is the new **** may have something stuck inside it so the collar jams when pushed into the space. Just unscrew the **** and have a look.
Old 05 January 2008, 07:58 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
Confirmed:- for the Impreza STI (mine is a 05)6 speed the gear **** simply unscrews, done mine about 3 weeks ago now, had the standard black leather one, but replaced it with a Prodrive alloy one, took me 2 mins. No way did i think the centre console had to come out.

TimeWRX01:-Did you take it to the delaers for another problem regarding the lift reverse collar?, or just to have the gear **** changed?
Just to have the gearknob changed as Subaru told me that the centre console needed to come out to change it.

There were no problems with it until I'd taken it in.
Old 05 January 2008, 08:00 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
mine is a 5 speed and the **** screws on,can't see the 6 speed being any different.
also i find it hard to believe that the cable has suddenly fooked up,more like the muppets have done something wrong,damaged inside of **** maybe?
there is no way i would take it back to the same place pop in to a subaru place and ask if they can get a technician to have a quick look.
It was a Subaru franchise that I took it to.