Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default green panel filter

just a quick question is the green panel filter worth the purchase
thanx matteus
Old 04 January 2008, 04:21 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Apaprently not. Prodrive and many tuners say the standard one is good for 350bhp and provides good filteration. A filter will make more noise but otherwise add nothing to your car.

5t.
Old 04 January 2008, 04:36 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

thanks for that mate dont want to spend money on pointless mods
Old 04 January 2008, 04:37 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Good Cotton Panel Filter K&N, J&R Green etc.

Are good for your car.

Will last virtually for ever, when you clean them & look sfter them. The Cardboard ones wil want replacing every other service or so.

If you use the search function, you'll find that there was a fairly scientific test on here.

And it proved more bhp as well.

Good luck.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 04 January 2008, 04:44 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

thanks for that alan i was looking at the ones on scoobyworld
Old 04 January 2008, 04:51 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Trust me, you will feel a difference with a good Cotton Panel Filter.

Good luck whatever you go for.

Every moth, I take mine off & gently brush both sides with a soft pait brush.

Works for me.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 04 January 2008, 04:54 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I have one still in the box if anyone would like to make me an offer, i was going to put it on Ebay soon. I bought it for my MY03 STI but then sold the car.
Nik.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2008, 04:55 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

cool thats me decided then thanks alan.just got to decide on a back box and dv now hehe
Old 04 January 2008, 04:58 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

what make is it nik maybe interested any idea how much you want?
Old 04 January 2008, 05:03 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Its a green cotton, not sure how much yet i haven't had chance to look on ebay to see what they are going for.
I'm off out now so will look later.

Originally Posted by matteus
what make is it nik maybe interested any idea how much you want?
Old 04 January 2008, 06:08 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matteus
cool thats me decided then thanks alan.just got to decide on a back box and dv now hehe
you said you dont want pointless mods then why fit a DV
Old 04 January 2008, 06:40 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC

Will last virtually for ever, when you clean them & look sfter them. The Cardboard ones wil want replacing every other service or so.

That is the only proven benefit. Sorry but i'm not going to argue with the technical know how of Prodrive (who don't change the filter for the PPP because there is nothing wrong with it) and top tuners like Andy F who say a panel filter will make next to no difference even when mapping the car.

If you feel any benefit it will be because you have convinced yourself so. Its why they always give out placebos in drugs trials because people will do that.

5t

Last edited by fivetide; 04 January 2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04 January 2008, 07:05 PM
postie90
Scooby Regular

i agree dv is a pointless mod, ive read that you can lose power with one.... another post i read was they change the dv for a stock one when on a rolling road to prove you lose power.....
Old 04 January 2008, 09:01 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Trust me, you will feel a difference with a good Cotton Panel Filter.
LOL... only in your pocket! As said above, if prodrive have measured the pressure drop across standard and 'good cotton panel filters' and found the OEM one has no additional pressure drop then where does the extra performance come from? What's that you say..... all in the mind to convince yourself it was £40 well spent

Tony.
Old 05 January 2008, 11:13 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Nicer induction sound is worth the £30 anyway IMO.. end of the day, its only £30, which is very cheap considering the price of other mods. Plus, with the increase in induction noise, you wont need a dump valve as you'll get a nice whoosh/flutter when you lift off.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 January 2008, 01:46 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

A good enough reason to fit one by itself I think.
Old 05 January 2008, 01:54 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

thanks for a sensible answer grant.while maybe not of benefit to the car a dump valve has sound benefit so not POINTLESS
Old 05 January 2008, 02:00 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

but you was talking about worth while mods eg: somthing that has benifits to the engine is it not cheaper to press the horn every time you change gear
Old 05 January 2008, 02:08 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

SMALL things amuse SMALL minds i guess
Old 05 January 2008, 02:13 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

try taking the std 1 of much better noise with the turbo chatter
Old 05 January 2008, 05:10 PM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Apaprently not. Prodrive and many tuners say the standard one is good for 350bhp and provides good filteration. A filter will make more noise but otherwise add nothing to your car.

5t.
I was under the impression that there is an improvement by replacing the standard panel filter with an aftermarket one. I think the filters Prodrive are talking about are the ones supplied in the PPP and possibly also standard on Jap imports, I don't think these are the same as the filters supplied on standard UK Sti's or WRX's. The ones tested by Prodrive have Sti printed on them and grey in colour, I've owned my 03 Sti Type UK from new and that had a completely different filter in it from new, a hulking red thing that look very restrictive!
Old 05 January 2008, 06:06 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Well prodrive are the experts and all the big HP cars are all prodrive tuned…… o no sorry I take that back the ppp is a very basic map, and people that want real power gain get it custom mapped by people like zen. If you have a standard car then prodrive may have a small point and the gain will not be big but any of the tuners I have talked to have all added a new filter.

Some of you guys seem so penny pinching and to think you drive a performance car I just don’t get it ???? £30 ??
Old 05 January 2008, 06:17 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
Well prodrive are the experts and all the big HP cars are all prodrive tuned…… o no sorry I take that back the ppp is a very basic map, and people that want real power gain get it custom mapped by people like zen. If you have a standard car then prodrive may have a small point and the gain will not be big but any of the tuners I have talked to have all added a new filter.
I have a K+N filter

..haven't noticed a h'appence of difference
Old 05 January 2008, 07:59 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

AGAIN, if you use the SEARCH FACILITY on here, you will find that there was a fairly scientific assessment of panel filters that PROVED a BHP gain etc etc.

Take a look it is intersting reading.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 05 January 2008, 08:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I get you but in a battle of "fairly scientific" versus "development budget of millions and the top people in the business" my vote goes to the Prodrive guys sorry.

The tests were very specific and involved one day and set parts. There is also no mention of filtration in there and bigger air spaces generally means poorer filtration.

Agree on better sounds and not having to change the filter so much but even then you need to do 40,000 miles to get a saving. It isn't something i'd rule out but i'm still sticking with the advice of the experts. I spoke a few times to Andy F before getting the car mapped and was told that a filter would make little to no difference and i'd be better off spending the money on intercooler hoses which is what i did.

I now have a road legal, MOT passing 03 WRX running 1.4bar boost and 273bhp with a standard paper filter so can't complain. Also the big change from the map and where i think the difference has come from was the torque level. The test on panel filters showed no torque improvement.

won't rule it out of course, the noise might be good, it is just the guy originally asked about parts that have a benefit which i (and several others) took to mean performance benefits althoug since then that plan seems to have changed!

5t.

Last edited by fivetide; 05 January 2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:42 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

AGAIN, if you use the SEARCH FACILITY on here, you will find that there was a fairly scientific assessment of panel filters that PROVED a BHP gain etc etc.

Take a look it is intersting reading.

Regards

Alan MaC
LOL... this scientific test was conducted on a rolling road to show BHP differences was it not. So its very accurate then . A panel filter normally claims say 5bhp increase from the manufacturers, you can get this sort of difference easily between runs on the same car with no mods just due to gearbox oil temp, exhaust temp, tyre pressure, intake temp, ambient temp. Its PROVES NOTHING but rolling roads can not be used to measure differences of 10bhp.... the best way to test a panels flow is via the pressure drop across it.... hey just as the experienced engineers at Prodrive did.

£30 will get slightly more induction noise, that is it. It that floats your boat then go for it.... may do the same on my PPP to go with the GP moto elebow which has already added a nice bit of noise (removes the OEM resonator). But i expect zero performance from it.

Tony.

PS the PPP comes with the same filter as any other UK STi/WRX, not the uprated STi filter.
Old 06 January 2008, 05:27 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

do they not use these uprated filter in group N cars ????

Most other parts on a Subaru are made on a budget and most tuners end up replacing them over time I just don’t see Subaru fitting the best filter to there car more like the most cost affective one and prodrive are paid by Subaru ….
Old 06 January 2008, 05:43 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

It depends what tune you are after.... of course subaru won't fit items that are way over spec for the standard cars, they are in business to make money! Once it gets to the point that you need a FMIC then you can't use the standard airbox anyway so makes no odds. For up to 350bhp the standard OEM panel filter and air box are fine. If you are looking at 400bhp then you're into big money anyway and most probably looking at CAI etc etc.

Tony.