ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

dump valve

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2008, 03:55 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve

sorry people i know you probably get sick of this question.but whats the best dv for my 03 wrx sti?is recirc advisable
cheers matteus
Old 04 January 2008, 04:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

you have a recirculating as standard
Old 04 January 2008, 04:13 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

yeah but to quiet for me hehe
Old 04 January 2008, 04:22 PM
Godden87
Scooby Regular

I've got a Blitz Supersonic dump valve if your interested, 50 plus p+p
Old 04 January 2008, 04:34 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

thanks for the offer mate dont realy know to much about the blitz tho.was thinking maybe hks or forge.
Old 04 January 2008, 07:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ever wondered why EVERY post asking about dump valves is FULL of offers from folk to sell you theirs?

Alcazar
Old 05 January 2008, 01:25 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

most expensive and probably the best are hks blitz and turbosmart , baileys and forge both cheaper at about £80 iirc so would guess not as good quality ,but there has been hundred posts about dump valves and they all say the standard recirc one is fine/best

also you will only get a noise from a vent to air dv

and the top three mentioned above will cost over £200 the turbosmart was £260 for my classic ,

if i was doing it again i would save some money for another mod and get the cheaper forge dv

the turbosmart does have the advantage that it is adjustable so will never need springs replaced and should last forever .
Old 05 January 2008, 01:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matteus
yeah but to quiet for me hehe
But you asked which is best? - STANDARD!
Add a decent panel filter if you want to hear some of the 'whoosh'!
Old 05 January 2008, 01:42 PM
matteus
Scooby Regular

thanks for the tip chris was looking at a panel filter next
Old 05 January 2008, 04:39 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I have tried various dump valves on various scoobies and they 'all' effected the drive. Yes, they gave some nice pops and bangs but they all made the car very 'jerky' when applying/releasing the throttle. Very annoying when you just want a nice cruise. And yes, the noise will get on your t&ts after a week or so.
Old 05 January 2008, 06:24 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

forge stuff is brilliant quailty, better than blitz imo. And you get nothing but great service when you phone forge directly in the uk. VW/Skoda/Audi/Seat people rave about them.
Old 05 January 2008, 06:30 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Best sounding is the HKS SSQV from what I have read on here the Forge are the ones to go for, best value for money.

Another thing people don't mention is that your car will not run right with the dump-valve, especially if it's one that dumps straight to atmosphere and doesn't recirculate the air back (kills your MAF I think).

And finally if you do get a VTA dump-valve then get your car mapped/remapped to compensate for the dump-valve. I have got an HKS SSQV on mine, I was lucky to get the extra caps for the SSQV which alter noise and I have gone for the quiet rally chirp style. As for running issues I have had none and thats probably due to the car being mapped for this setup.

I was going to get rid of mine but I think you need one for FMIC setup (going for big power end of the year).. is this right?
Old 05 January 2008, 06:35 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by fraser87uk
forge stuff is brilliant quailty, better than blitz imo. And you get nothing but great service when you phone forge directly in the uk. VW/Skoda/Audi/Seat people rave about them.
The day a respected Performance and Tuning shop comes on here and promotes the use of a VTA dumb valve on any car equipped with a Mass Airflow Sensor is the day i will eat my hat.

When will it get thro the thick skulls of you fcuktards that insist upon fitting them just for the silly noise,that it will be detrimenatal to your cars overall performance
Old 05 January 2008, 06:50 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
The day a respected Performance and Tuning shop comes on here and promotes the use of a VTA dumb valve on any car equipped with a Mass Airflow Sensor is the day i will eat my hat.

When will it get thro the thick skulls of you fcuktards that insist upon fitting them just for the silly noise,that it will be detrimenatal to your cars overall performance
forge actually make a replacement recirc one as well for the scoobs. thats the one i have bought.

There are a lot of tuning companies that run VTA on scoobs without bother. Scoobyclinic etc use, sell and will recommend VTA dump valves. These companies are not stupid and are very succesful for a reason, they know what they are talking about. They dont need to come onto forums and explain themselves. Big tuning companies like HKS, Blitz, Greddy etc also cant be wrong considering them being world reknown and very very reputable.
Old 05 January 2008, 06:55 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

forge actually make a replacement recirc one as well for the scoobs. thats the one i have bought.

There are a lot of tuning companies that run VTA on scoobs without bother. Scoobyclinic etc use, sell and will recommend VTA dump valves. These companies are not stupid and are very succesful for a reason, they know what they are talking about. They dont need to come onto forums and explain themselves. Big tuning companies like HKS, Blitz, Greddy etc also cant be wrong considering them being world reknown and very very reputable.
Then let them come on here and let them extoll their virtues....but I bet you somehow they won't

In fact I think it's Forge that reccommend that you DON'T fit a VTA dumb valve to a Subaru with an MAF still equipped and not re-mapped to the contrary.
Old 05 January 2008, 06:57 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

What I was asking about as from what I have seen of the engine tunes that have FMIC's and other toys for big bhp use VTA's. I have got the original STi v6 one sitting on my desk so this will go on when the car goes to Zen.
Old 05 January 2008, 10:39 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

hi people im new to all this as ive just bought my first turbo car its a w,reg iprezza estate and im wanting a loud dump valve as its just got the sdanderd 1 and very qiet.havnt got a clue wot u are all goin on about recirculatin and all that !!help me!! cheers.
Old 05 January 2008, 11:17 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

The standard one recirculates the charged air back into the intake system, keeping the car running better, increasing clamping loads and keeps the turbo spinning, reducing lag, ad giving you better fuel economy.

A "loud" dump valve, better known as a vent to atmosphere (VTA), releases the charged air to atmosphere, giving that "whoosh" noise. This can give some running problems, valve and car dependent. It also gives worse fuel economy, and means that you have to wait for the turbo to spool up again.

If you want it to become louder the best option is to fit a good induction kit (one that doesn't give MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) problems) and get a Forge Motorsport replacement recirculating valve. This will give you a better noise and give you better driving conditions
Old 05 January 2008, 11:21 PM
bazo440bhp
Scooby Newbie

Default dump valve

Originally Posted by lalemmakate
hi people im new to all this as ive just bought my first turbo car its a w,reg iprezza estate and im wanting a loud dump valve as its just got the sdanderd 1 and very qiet.havnt got a clue wot u are all goin on about recirculatin and all that !!help me!! cheers.
get a baileys fitted mate they work well just the 80 quid job does it well ebay
Old 05 January 2008, 11:24 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

cheers mate ill look into it im new to all this but the forge valves seem to be getting good feedback.what about induction kits any recomodations.thankx