ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Warrenty woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2008, 11:35 AM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrenty woes...

Ok guys, just after a little advice on where i stand, bought a MY03 JDM STi of a Trader just before Christmas, bought with a 1 month warrenty, now i started hearing a knocking noise from the rear suspension, and after further investigation it appears to be the common knackered rear shocker issues, one is really bad and has around 30mm play in it. The car also came with 12 month MOT, should it really have passed with shockers like this? Anyway thats not my main issue, i contacted the trader expecting it to be no problem, but he has turned around to me and said the warrenty is engine and gearbox only, and anyway i got £500 off the asking price so should not be ringing him with faults!

Now i don`t want to name the trader at this point, but this the section from the car add about the warrnety:

Warranty
Many traders who sell cars on eBay do not offer any type of warranty however we offer a fully comprehensive one month warranty on parts and labour for piece of mind. This way you can be sure that you won't be lumbered with any pre-existing faults and the potenially expensive price tag attached. As we aim to keep our prices amongst the most competitive on eBay or anywhere in the UK we offer extended warranties from as little as £295. Please ask us about this offer

So where do i stand now, argue some more with the trader or am i stuffed and going to have to pay myself?
Old 07 January 2008, 11:47 AM
AngloSaxon
Scooby Regular

Well I would certainly argue some more and if you appear to be getting nowhere then threaten the trader with trading standards (not fit for purpose, incorrect warranty wording etc.). I would also be tempted to contact the garage that issued the MOT (if it wasnt the dealer) and question them about passing a car with such an obvious fault. They can of course turn round and claim someone may have changed the shocker since the MOT .

Not a nice position to be in but I woukld definitely not give up without a fight

Just my two pennies worth , good luck!
Old 07 January 2008, 11:49 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't suppose that written warranty terms came with the car?
How did you pay for the car?
Put your complaint in writing to him and copy it to trading standards.
Give him neg feedback if you still can.

See what he comes back with then.

Nick
Old 07 January 2008, 12:12 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

have a read up on the sale of goods act, an this thread

Sale Of Goods Act (buying A Vehicle) - Your Rights - The Consumer Forums

all 2nd hand cars have to come with a reasonable amount of warranty which on cheap stuff is around 3 months. with what you've bought maybe around 6 months or longer (it is what is deemed fair by the judge if it goes that far)

a dealer can't sell a car sold as seen any more.

if he's not playing ball before going down the legal route threaten to report the mot station to VOSA if its not him chances are it'll be someone he works with alot and wont want to jeopardise that relationship

stevie

Last edited by stevie boy; 07 January 2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07 January 2008, 12:20 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Don't let them fob you off, if you have a written warranty it should state what it covers, if it was just verbal then you may be stuffed, however if you can print a copy of the add where they state a comprehensive parts and labour warranty will be given, you may still have a case. seek advice from trading standards or get a solicitor to write to them on your behalf, sounds like they are trying it on, good luck with it and i hope you get it sorted.
regards
Dan.
Old 07 January 2008, 02:12 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bicco
Ok guys, just after a little advice on where i stand, bought a MY03 JDM STi of a Trader just before Christmas, bought with a 1 month warrenty, now i started hearing a knocking noise from the rear suspension, and after further investigation it appears to be the common knackered rear shocker issues, one is really bad and has around 30mm play in it. The car also came with 12 month MOT, should it really have passed with shockers like this? Anyway thats not my main issue, i contacted the trader expecting it to be no problem, but he has turned around to me and said the warrenty is engine and gearbox only, and anyway i got £500 off the asking price so should not be ringing him with faults!

Now i don`t want to name the trader at this point, but this the section from the car add about the warrnety:

Warranty
Many traders who sell cars on eBay do not offer any type of warranty however we offer a fully comprehensive one month warranty on parts and labour for piece of mind. This way you can be sure that you won't be lumbered with any pre-existing faults and the potenially expensive price tag attached. As we aim to keep our prices amongst the most competitive on eBay or anywhere in the UK we offer extended warranties from as little as £295. Please ask us about this offer

So where do i stand now, argue some more with the trader or am i stuffed and going to have to pay myself?
By law the trader should give 3 months warranty also the mot on the shocks if u picked up the fault before 28 days the mot shop is liable info is on the back of the mot cert also warranty try your city advice centre.
Old 07 January 2008, 04:07 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

but he has turned around to me and said the warrenty is engine and gearbox only, and anyway i got £500 off the asking price so should not be ringing him with faults!
Just because you got it cheaper doesn't mean you lose your rights as his statement below

Warranty
Many traders who sell cars on eBay do not offer any type of warranty however we offer a fully comprehensive one month warranty on parts and labour for piece of mind. This way you can be sure that you won't be lumbered with any pre-existing faults and the potenially expensive price tag attached.
As said by other posters above CAB don't think he has a leg to stand on even if he has used a contract with "hidden" smallprint"

BUT GET INDPENDANT ADVICE ASAP

Tony
Old 07 January 2008, 04:32 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advise here guys, much appreciated, I have spoken to trading standards and as someone mentioned above, regardless of the warrenty, the sale of goods act menas i should be able to get something from him!
Old 07 January 2008, 04:47 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep us posted
Old 09 January 2008, 12:57 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

ALL TRADERS have to give 6 month warranty BY LAW. No ifs, no buts.

However, you'll get nowt out of him so fix the car and make sure you tell his local trading standards officer. If they get more complaints they'll have a go at him.
Old 24 January 2008, 06:27 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Just an update on this for anyone who is interested:-

After much messing and me deciding that i can`t be bothered to fight anymore, the best i could get from him was a cheque for £100 unless the car went back (long way). I decided this was better than nothing, as i was gonna be upgrading various suspension parts anyways.

That was 2 weeks ago, still no cheque, no response to E-mail, or TXT message, no answer of his phone numbers. So I give up, i`ve been done, not the end of the world. the link to the e-bay add is here:

2003 JDM SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI VERSION 8 ONLY 38K on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 23-Dec-07 13:24:53 GMT)

The car was booked in to have the work done, but unfortunatly I got a call and the job was cancelled, but I have been talking toa most helpfull chap at TSL and fingers crossed the car will be in with them in the near future!
Old 24 January 2008, 06:46 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't let it go so easy, in that advert alone he says its in perfect working order with no noises anywhere, and who mot'd it because(and i'm no expert) surely it shouldn't have passed. it could be he has a friendly working relationship with said mot station and might not want any hassle for them
Old 25 January 2008, 05:01 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If you want to stiff him back, contact all his future bidders/buyers and tell them (totally truthfully) what happened, how he promised compensation and hasn't delivered - he may find his trade drops off by more than £100 very quickly!

Simon
Old 25 January 2008, 09:37 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Ok, i`ve been convinved at one last go at it, sent a letter using the Consumer direct template, see what happens now...