Warranty issues ... now car is out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2008, 01:21 PM
The Godfather
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty issues ... now car is out of warranty

Advice please ...

If a Subaru approved garage fails to fix properly a problem that was flagged up while the car was under warranty, is Subaru responsible for paying something towards repairs to fix that problem if the car is now out of warranty?
Old 07 January 2008, 01:36 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

As the issue was raised within the warranty period then it should be treated as a warranty repair until resolved.

I would think the actual payment rests between dealer / Subaru / IM.

The only difference might be some reduction for wear and tear. How long out of warranty, and how long since originally notified?
Old 07 January 2008, 10:00 PM
The Godfather
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by speedking
As the issue was raised within the warranty period then it should be treated as a warranty repair until resolved.

I would think the actual payment rests between dealer / Subaru / IM.

The only difference might be some reduction for wear and tear. How long out of warranty, and how long since originally notified?
The car went out of warranty May 2006. I initially flagged up the problem 2 years before that. I use a different garage now. Subaru says because it's out of warranty they won't contribute anything (even allowing for wear and tear) and I think that's wrong.
Old 13 January 2008, 12:59 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Tough - it was up to you to insist on getting it fixed within the warranty period by the supplying dealer or, if you didn't trust them, another dealer.

You can't exoect IH to cough up now.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:04 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
Tough - it was up to you to insist on getting it fixed within the warranty period ...

You can't expect IH to cough up now.
Simply not true. If your engine went pop a week before the warranty expired and it was going to take longer to rebuild, you would still expect it to be done.

I had a paint issue that the dealer wanted to wait and see if it developed on more than one panel. Eventually got a respray outside the warranty period.

So long as the fault is notified within the warranty period then it should be fixed as a warranty repair.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:41 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any proof from 2 years ago with IM or the dealer that you reported a fault? if no then there's no chance.
What sort of warranty fault is it that can wait for 2 years before you decide to resolve it - it can't be very major, in which case why bring it up again?

nick
Old 14 January 2008, 12:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speedking
Simply not true. If your engine went pop a week before the warranty expired and it was going to take longer to rebuild, you would still expect it to be done.

I had a paint issue that the dealer wanted to wait and see if it developed on more than one panel. Eventually got a respray outside the warranty period.

So long as the fault is notified within the warranty period then it should be fixed as a warranty repair.
Ditto, with a gearbox. I PX'd a WRX Saloon back to my local dealer. The lad who bought it got a new "Proven" Warranty. 364 days later the g/box goes bang, they fixed it a few weeks after the expirity date.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:08 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

If there's no written proof of identifying the fault whilst in warranty, i don't see how you can change things.