ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying Scooby 5K

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 06:52 PM
hhh1234
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Scooby 5K

Hey guys im currently selling my mitsubishi fto and looking to buy a scooby. i got 5 k and i am just looking some advice on what model to buy. i would like to prob get a 1995-1997. any models stick out.
Old 08 January 2008, 07:09 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Any of the sti`s are good to be fair, sti ver6 being generally the strongest package the RA`s`s are pretty mad aswell as sti type r`s-UK turbo if insurance is gonna be an issue, but the funs to be had and to start with alot stronger platform with the others-i only bought a uk turbo as at the time the insurance were an issue.(uk turbo gearboxes are weak though beware)Had syncro trouble with mine at 33,000mile on 5th gear
Old 08 January 2008, 07:16 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

have a look at Graham Walker Ltd its in chester,depends where you are, has some nice ones in.
Old 08 January 2008, 07:22 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

P.S. if you do go for an import keep well clear of keighley trade centre,they`ve got a terrible reputation of importing accident damaged cars and bodging them together-lots of ppl on here have travelled a long way to see whats basically rubbish.(though they must sell the odd decent motor)

As a rule theres usually someone on heres who can offer advice if you have doubts about any import dealer/car.

Hope that helps.
Old 08 January 2008, 09:07 PM
hhh1234
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help guys i found a 1994 wrx what sort of bhp does the wrx put out
Old 08 January 2008, 09:26 PM
scoobyhep
Scooby Regular

Around 240bhp standard for a WRX.

UK versions 215bhp but are easier to insure Grp17 I think

I will be selling my type RA 1994 shortly if your interested (300bhp).

Ian

Last edited by scoobyhep; 08 January 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08 January 2008, 09:57 PM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

YEH IV GOT A UK TURBO FOR THE TIME BEING BECAUSE OF INSURANCE, AND IV JUST BOUGHT A NEW GEARBOX THIS WEEKEND, AS THE OTHER WORN FAST
Old 08 January 2008, 11:26 PM
hhh1234
Scooby Regular

cheers again guys im gathering the uk turbo are not the ones to get with the weak gear boxes. scoobyhep how much would u be looking.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:22 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hhh1234
cheers again guys im gathering the uk turbo are not the ones to get with the weak gear boxes. scoobyhep how much would u be looking.
not necessarily weak gearboxes, just the fact the uk cars (classics) only ever pushed out 208 and 215bhp, whereas the jap calssics ranged from 240 (early wrx) too 300 (facelift sti).

to be honest its a awd car, so the gearbox/clucth are gonna take the brunt of any hard accelerating, hhence the term of them being made from chocolate. uprate the clutch and a uk gearbox (from what ive been told from reputable sources on here), will hold 300-320 bhp/similar torque all day long.

with the imports being higher power standard, with stronger internals (so im led to believe), its easier to tune them. but many imports come with little, or no history, so its sometimes a grey area.

uk classics are group 17, and the imports were all group 20.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:30 AM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

nothing worng with my uk gearbox another scoobynet myth no wonder the second hand market is crap with rubbish like this going around
Old 09 January 2008, 08:39 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scobymad
nothing worng with my uk gearbox another scoobynet myth no wonder the second hand market is crap with rubbish like this going around
exactly, david @ api was the guy who told me around 300bhp 300ft lb is ok on a uk 'box.

obviously any higher and you will lose reliability, but thats the same with anything.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:46 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scobymad
It does get a bit annoying doesnt it?

Im off to sulk in the UK Turbo corner.......
Old 09 January 2008, 08:49 AM
hhh1234
Scooby Regular

sorry for the upset guys. it just shows my lack of knowledge on scooby's. im of to look at a 1995 wrx on sat the guy also has a 2001 wrx so il try and test drive both of them.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:57 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

ok this is all my opinion

if i were you i would go for a uk turbo, a good handful of these cars have had uprated brakes, clutch, and a few mods ie full decat etc etc, and have been mapped. so push out a decent bhp and torque figure similar to an imported sti or wrx so there wont be much in performance. they are chearer to insure too which is always a bouns.

dont be put off be high millage as in my experiance this is not really an issue if the car had been looked after with a good to full history.

for your 5k you would get a nice 99-00 uk turbo, in my opinion th elater car looks better with crystal lights, updated front bumper and an updated dashboard. rather than an earlier wrx import which you may or may not know the history of the car for me it is a bit of a no brainer but some people will view it different so it really comes down to personal opinion

steve
Old 09 January 2008, 09:00 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother with an import unless you were buying an STI or some version you couldn't get here. You get nothing worth mentioning buying a WRX over a UK turbo - nothing worth paying the extra in insurance anyway.

Gearboxes being weak on UK boxes is rubbish. You get peace of mind buying UK because most will have excellent service history.

For 5K you can get a reasonable MY99/00 UK turbo. If you hunt around you can get 98/99 STI RA (what I want ) or a ropey Type R which would be a good project car. PCM has a Type R near your budget and to be fair it doesn't look too bad.
Old 09 January 2008, 09:21 AM
scoobyhep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hhh1234
Hi there, I'm looking in the region of 5k tbh. I've just had a forged engine rebuild around 2k miles ago. (£3k)
New Exedy clutch and a brand new Type RA gearbox. (£600+)
All receipts are kept (Zen Performance parts) and its in the garage at the moment getting fresh oil.
So all important parts have been replaced.

Its best to come and view her if you are interested, you can also speak to the garage that done the rebuild work who are very helpfull.

It will have 6 months TAX and 12 month MOT, new tyres all round and brakes.

Its the typeRA which stands for race altered. It has the short gearing and is the lightweight version out of the factory.

If you would like any more info just ask.

Let me know
Ian

Last edited by scoobyhep; 09 January 2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09 January 2008, 11:14 AM
New_scooby_04

Guys, guys guys,

Surely the more salient factor here is that the poster is considering getting a 14yr old performance car. Frankly if the gearbox gives out at std power after 14 years (assuming average milage for age) one could hardly complain!

All the talk about chocolate gearboxes, pistons etc is nonsense: these are performance cars, developing high outputs that often have a testing life, sometimes they are mistreated or not maintained properly, there are bound to be a few that let go.

My opinion is that if you buy a 14 year old car and start putting more power through already worn components, expect bills! That simple.

So, if you have 5k (and that's it) get the cleanest, lowest milage, FSH std example you can find, leave it alone and you shouldn't have any problems. If you have money to mod and replace consumables, then go for it!
Old 09 January 2008, 01:08 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As always Ns04 is giving good advice

I bought my MY00 UK Turbo for £5k nearly 2 years ago, with 95k - standard apart from centre/backbox exhaust swap.

I spent £1600 on it at the time - Service, MAF, clutch (slightly uprated), Ninja Sports Cat d/pipe, remap & Sony HU.

It has been faultless since then, but I do very low mileage - think its currently on 103k. Its mechanically perfect but cosmetically a few dinks & scrapes etc.

Its worth £4k I suppose now.

I previously had a 95 WRX, and theres a big difference in looks, I think the facelifts look a lot better outside and especially inside.

But as NS says, get the newest you can with reasonable mileage and no silly mods.
Old 09 January 2008, 06:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The state of the gearbox will only reflect the quality of the owner.
A rubbished box will suggest abuse and/or high mileage, goes with the territory.
I advise you buy from PSLewis as his cars perfect, and standard too ! (JOKE!)

Dunxc

P.S. Loads on here, and most people are genuine !
Old 09 January 2008, 06:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude buy scoobyheps! car if its just been rebuilt and had a bag of money spent on it your gettin a deal its all well and good tryin to find an un molested car if such a thing exsists cos a lot of supposedly standard cars are returned to standard before being sold on! ur buying a super car chaser and there is not one out there that has not been spanked!! its to be expected its what we all buy them for at least with the ra for sale somone else has spent the money which means you should get reasonable service from it for a while and your not gona have to find another 3/5 grand like i had to 3 weeks after buying it!! P.S i dont know the guy whos selling it just giving you good advice!! ya pays ya money and takes ya choice..
Old 09 January 2008, 09:53 PM
scoobyhep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
dude buy scoobyheps! car if its just been rebuilt and had a bag of money spent on it your gettin a deal its all well and good tryin to find an un molested car if such a thing exsists cos a lot of supposedly standard cars are returned to standard before being sold on! ur buying a super car chaser and there is not one out there that has not been spanked!! its to be expected its what we all buy them for at least with the ra for sale somone else has spent the money which means you should get reasonable service from it for a while and your not gona have to find another 3/5 grand like i had to 3 weeks after buying it!! P.S i dont know the guy whos selling it just giving you good advice!! ya pays ya money and takes ya choice..
Thanks

All the usual suspect have been replaced due to age and nature of the car.

In need of something more economical i.e 1.9TDi A3

Any inspection welcome and would of course stay in contact with buyer in the unlikley case of any problems.

Sad to see it go but either house or scoob eventualy needs to go