ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which camera detector?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 01:12 AM
mark.t
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which camera detector?

I am in the market for a speed camera detector once my car is mapped by Andy F . Very confusing as to the best one to buy.

Dont really need sat nav as I do not travel too far and can read a road map!

I want to make sure I cover all bases so I am looking at a GPS unit with data bae and radar/laser detection units.

So far the valentine 1 is coming out top for laser and radar but does not cover fixed cameras.

The Snooper s6-r Neo does both and is what I am leaning to at the moment.

Looking for some advice and peoples experiences.

Thanks

Mark T
Old 09 January 2008, 07:32 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Snooper NEO S6R.

It's 2 systems, 1 for Gatso's/Lasers.

The other for Specs Vans etc.

Good Luck.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 09 January 2008, 07:46 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Got

The S6R an its saved mer from talivans on a couple of occasions scared the bejesus outta me when it went off though
Wanted to fit the sensor for talivans behind my front grill but the metal in it can cause interference so just set it up inside the car window.
Old 09 January 2008, 09:24 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I used to have a Bel 550 for about 5 years which was great. After that broke, I bought an Origin B2. Great piece of kit.

Origin now make the 'Pogo' which looks even better than the B2.
Old 09 January 2008, 10:44 AM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

I bought a Valentine 1 from the US from a vendor on ebay about 4 months ago.Paid £280 which is less than half what they charge over here and had it home in a week duty free.
I had to reset it for Euro spec but that was really easy only takes a few minutes and it does beep a bit in built up areas.Im sure it picks up fixed cameras as well.
Old 09 January 2008, 12:28 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an origin B2, great little unit. Helped me out no end on unfamiliar roads with cameras.

As standard it comes with a laser detector (which can be connected to an illegal jammer ) and a radar detector unit that plugs in to the wiring harness can be bought seperately I believe.

Something to think about if the rumours come true about laser and radar detectors being made illegal. At least they can be disconnected from the origin B2 and then just use the GPS data. That's all I use now as I didn't have a jammer and once the laser detector goes off they have already got your speed so I didn't really see the point to be honest.

I don't leave home without it!
Old 09 January 2008, 12:38 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Had a snooper S6-r, now have a B2, too many false alerts with the snooper.

Allan
Old 09 January 2008, 02:41 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't bother with laser detector versions as they would only go off once they have caught you anyway (so I gather). Radar detection was different as a radar field was much wider and so you had a chance of catching it early. I think Police ditched this for laser so no point.

Just get a good database product. I use a Snooper Indago - small, discreet and runs for 3hrs on battery so no wires. The Inigma database has both fixed and mobile (not all) sites so is pretty good. You will think you have false readings when it says High Risk Zone but they will have been added cos someone has seen a Talivan at that spot at some point and asked Snooper to add it (I did and one got added). Better to be warned and no one be there than not being warned and getting scammed!

PS. All Snooper products use the same database so will have mobile sites too.

I like the idea of the Road Angel 9000 which has a SIM card in it. It updates every 2mins with latest sites that are active but relies on users pressing a button to inform the server, which then downloads to everyone else. If only this was cheaper and had a mass userbase, then Talivans may lose the war
Old 09 January 2008, 02:57 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drift_King
Wouldn't bother with laser detector versions as they would only go off once they have caught you anyway (so I gather).
According to whether they are following ACPO guidelines, they tend to take 3 successive readings.

I've been outside a speed limit and been lasered directly numerous times, each time I slowed down hastily and am glad to say that I have not received a ticket yet.

Also, you will obtain some scatter and reflection from a vehicle in front of you that has been targeted. Contraversial that one but again, I believe that I have experienced scatter in practice.
Old 09 January 2008, 05:02 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
According to whether they are following ACPO guidelines, they tend to take 3 successive readings.

I've been outside a speed limit and been lasered directly numerous times, each time I slowed down hastily and am glad to say that I have not received a ticket yet.

Also, you will obtain some scatter and reflection from a vehicle in front of you that has been targeted. Contraversial that one but again, I believe that I have experienced scatter in practice.
Are you saying you were over the limit and slowed when the detector went off? If so, sounds promising. But they may be illegal soon so you'll have to gamble on that front if you want to continue with it.
Old 09 January 2008, 05:34 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drift_King
Are you saying you were over the limit and slowed when the detector went off?
correct.....
Old 11 January 2008, 05:26 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Road angel 2, i always have mine in the car,