Help the Newbie!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 02:57 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help the Newbie!!!

Hi all, hows it goin?

I'm new here and could do with some info and advice.

I passed my car test last year and bought a 2000 2.0 GL AWD. Now i want to upgrade to an 2003 STi T_UK. apart from the obvious insurance issues which i seem to have covered, are there any pitfalls, things to watch out for or things to think about before buying one???

Thanks in advance

Scotty
Old 09 January 2008, 03:20 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

The usual service history etc and listen for any knocking/clonking on the struts.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:20 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Sounds obvious but test drive it first. The car is renowned (?) for strangled performance below 4-5 k rpm. This can be sorted by re-mapping or buying a ppp version. As Gaz says the shocks can go (some design fault apparently), though fairly cheap to get fixed through scoobyclinic - did a good job on mine!

What insurance you looking at with only passing test a year ago? The car demands respect, can be snappy handling when you hit peak torque, especially in wet - might be worth some lessons with an experienced instructor if you have not driven a car of similar power before?

HTH
DNC
Old 10 January 2008, 08:12 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys,

I have lots of experience with fast bikes my last bike was putting out bout 170 at the rear wheel. I love the idea of an STi, my 2.0 GL seems quickish to me but I want more... My insurance (i have 7 Yrs no claims which i can use) is 1050 FC with PNC. Am i biting off more than i can chew?

Also some ideas of running costs and obvious pitfalls would be good.

Cheers

Scotty
Old 10 January 2008, 08:16 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna test drive a Type UK this weekend... I'll post on the results.

Old 10 January 2008, 08:32 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Go for it mate..........when you said you'd only just passed test I assumed that you were a very young whippersnapper. Hope you enjoy but def see if you can test a PPP STi also.
dnc
Old 11 January 2008, 01:37 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shot8un
Thanks for the replys,

I have lots of experience with fast bikes my last bike was putting out bout 170 at the rear wheel. I love the idea of an STi, my 2.0 GL seems quickish to me but I want more... My insurance (i have 7 Yrs no claims which i can use) is 1050 FC with PNC. Am i biting off more than i can chew?

Also some ideas of running costs and obvious pitfalls would be good.

Cheers

Scotty
Hello mate. Good luck with the STi. Just a quick one, when you say you have 7 yrs no claims 'that you can use' what do you mean? Im assuming as youve only just passed its either someone elses no claims or that youve some how managed to transfer your bike NCB to your car insurance?

I only ask as I have fock all no claims on my car but some NCB on my bike and didnt know if you found an insurance company that takes it into consideration (i think they should for what its worth! Bloody harder to ride a bike for two years and not crash than it is a car )

All the best!
Old 11 January 2008, 01:56 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

Yeah, MCE let me transfer my claims over from my bike and i have one year from my current Subaru. Keith Michaels said it wouldn't be a problem to use them but i know some company are funny about it!

Any advice on running and STi? and running costs?

Scotty
Old 12 January 2008, 10:55 AM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Thats a touch! I will give them a bell. Thanks for that.

The search is a bit rubbish now but try it and see how you get on mate. There are shed loads of similar posts so you should be able to find all the info you need.

Although it wasnt an STi I had a standard WRX import classic (approx 260bhp) for 2 years and loved it. Not sure what the performance differance is between that and a 2003 STi. Either way the performance will blow you away.

I always read on here about the standard WRX PPP being almost as good and cheaper than the Sti so, as the chap said above, I would defo get a test drive on that before commiting to anything.

I can only comment on mine re running costs and what your after is a differant affair but for what its worth..... My car was faultless for 2 years so all I had to spend money on was tyres\oil etc. The biggest cost for me was fuel. I drove it hard and always used Optimax with millers octane booster and by christ could that car drink. I took it to the ring with a 330CI and his fuel consumption on the drive over there was miles better and he was ragging it.

Im guessing by going for the STi everythings going to be pricier.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by W R X; 12 January 2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 12 January 2008, 01:59 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

Yeah, MCE let me transfer my claims over from my bike and i have one year from my current Subaru. Keith Michaels said it wouldn't be a problem to use them but i know some company are funny about it!

Any advice on running and STi? and running costs?

Scotty
Not finding sti ppp running costs much more than turbo 2000 tbh. Insurance is about 50% more (but I am with DL at mo and will look at KM etc next time). Does maybe 18-22 mpg as opposed to 20-25 mpg. Tyres are not much difference. Brakes I think will be a bit more expensive but wtf? Servicing is prob at least as cheap since it is 12 (rather than 6) monthly though I am, as most others do getting interim oil changes as a minimum.

STi vs WRX is tricky - wrx ppp is great all rounder whereas sti is more focused - far better brakes, better suspension, lsds and sharper steering. Also engine and gearbox can take much higher outputs if you are into tuning. People can get wrxs up to similar spec but costs lots more to do so. You hear many stories of 'wish I'd got an sti intead'.......................not sure I've seen any sti owners saying 'should've got a wrx'. At end of day try both see which you can prefer or best matches your budget. Let us know how you get on.

HTH, dnc
Old 12 January 2008, 02:37 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Hi Fellas

Thanks for the answers and stuff... I went to see the Sti, drove it... fell in love and I'm having one... just gotta find the right one now.

F**k it was quick
Old 12 January 2008, 05:04 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Hi Fellas

Thanks for the answers and stuff... I went to see the Sti, drove it... fell in love and I'm having one... just gotta find the right one now.

F**k it was quick
Nice one
There are plenty out there, a buyer's market
dnc