ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Decision effecting saleabilty of my car

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2008, 05:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision effecting saleabilty of my car

From the above picture you'll see my Mica Black STI has anthracite alloys that I personally love. However, the car is up for sale and following damage to the alloys I'm getting all 4 refurbish prior to it going on the market.

I want to maximize my target market (god I sound like sarah beenie!) so should I have them reverted to a standard silver finish or would just as many people be interested in the current finish. Opinion welcome

Last edited by LG John; 10 January 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10 January 2008, 06:25 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

I prefer them as they currently are, although I am partially biased as currently own a Mica Black STi and am purchasing a set of anthracite alloys
Old 10 January 2008, 06:53 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i don't think you'll affect the sale at all keeping them the colour they are. i think a potential buyer is more likely to not like a design of the wheel on a car for sale rather than a pretty conservative colour (if they were bright pink i think you might struggle)

i think the colour suits the car very well and i think i'd be in the majority saying that
Old 10 January 2008, 06:57 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

i don't think that someone would decide against the car just because of the wheels???
i would've thought that easily changed!!!
i didn't like the wheels mine came on, so swapped 'em!!
however you get them done will help the value, shows you care aboutyour car
Old 10 January 2008, 07:18 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

i'd personally spend the money on getting the rust sorted on that rear wheel arch unless its mud of course!!
Old 10 January 2008, 08:04 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geoteds2002
i'd personally spend the money on getting the rust sorted on that rear wheel arch unless its mud of course!!
People usually accept a little curbing.. but as Geo says, get the body work spot on
Old 10 January 2008, 08:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'll be dealing with both the rust and alloys.. Two of the alloys are very badly scuffed after a guy clipped me and forced me into a kerb at 15mph. The insurance company fixed the car, checked the geometry and made a payment for the alloys as they can't be bought new anymore. The car would never sell with the alloys in the state they are in

Btw the full story goes like this:

Mid-sep 2007: I spend two days machine polishing the car - the bodywork is stunning and alloys unmarked. I get new pads and disks up front, run it through it's MOT, finally sort a nippy knocking noise (intercooler (STI8) hitting bulkhead), 6 months tax, 4 good tyres and ready for sale. I kid you not it was immaculate with nothing wrong with it (save for the rust which wasn't as bad then). It's on pistonheads for a few days when...

late-sep 2007: Uninsured polish idiot comes into my lane when I'm alongside him and wrecks the front wing, damages the door and mangles two alloys. He flees the scene on foot.

Oct-dec 2007: Wrangling with insurance company over what to do with alloys; car goes in to get work done. In the workshop one of the monkeys drops the headlight and smashes it. I now have to wait two weeks for new headlight!

late-dec 2007: Get car back, passenger side door won't open from the inside and battery has been ran completely flat - won't hold a charge if left for more than 2 days.

Jan 2008: Rectify door handle, buy and fit a new battery and preparing to get her booked in for the alloys. I was out in it yesterday and discover that someone has dragged a key down the entire passenger side of the car.

.....just call me lucky
Old 11 January 2008, 08:50 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy

From the above picture you'll see my Mica Black STI has anthracite alloys that I personally love. However, the car is up for sale and following damage to the alloys I'm getting all 4 refurbish prior to it going on the market.

I want to maximize my target market (god I sound like sarah beenie!) so should I have them reverted to a standard silver finish or would just as many people be interested in the current finish. Opinion welcome
What about fitting a set of decent s/h standard alloys back on? ...probably cost you about £100 on Fleabay & then just pay to get the two knackered alloys refurbed anthracite & sell them on? (a mint set of ST2's should get you £300)
Old 11 January 2008, 11:05 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Poker not going that well you've gotta sell the car?

....or going that well you're getting something better.
Old 11 January 2008, 11:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Gaz the decision to sell the car was made before I even started with poker. It was ready to go in september but as you'll see from above there has been delays! The car will part-fund our wedding in August this year so I'll be buying a comedy beater for a while. I'm thinking something silly like v12 jag, sierra or a big old merc.
Old 11 January 2008, 11:32 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Gaz the decision to sell the car was made before I even started with poker. It was ready to go in september but as you'll see from above there has been delays! The car will part-fund our wedding in August this year so I'll be buying a comedy beater for a while. I'm thinking something silly like v12 jag, sierra or a big old merc.
Theres a siera 4x4 xr4 for sale on my way home. I drive past it every wday, im going to look at the price soon i think
Old 11 January 2008, 11:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Refurbish in white.

I love white on black cars. How much are you asking BTW
Old 11 January 2008, 12:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Not sure Ed, not checked the prices recently. I'm guessing it's probably worth something in the £6500-£7500 range. I'd like over £7k for it as I paid over £8k this time last year, have spent money getting it in even better nick and it's only done a few thousand miles since then!

I agree white on black does look good but I think it's even more taste orientated than anthracite and may put buyers off who are looking for a sorted STI that needs nothing.
Old 11 January 2008, 04:16 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

The colour of the wheels wouldn't put me off buying a car but the style certainly would.

Personnaly I prefer Silver on a black car. Grey/anthricite looks better on a green or white car.
Old 11 January 2008, 04:43 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Just leave them. Let the buyer decide
Old 11 January 2008, 04:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

They can't be left STI. One of them is kerbed the whole way round and it's a deep graze as well. Even if I offered a cash back deal to pay for the repairs most buyers would walk away as they don't want the hassle.
Old 12 January 2008, 10:57 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
The colour of the wheels wouldn't put me off buying a car but the style certainly would.

Personnaly I prefer Silver on a black car. Grey/anthricite looks better on a green or white car.
Black on black motor - mean.