ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can I do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2008, 09:55 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I do anything?

I just bought a modified WRX (headers, exhaust, de-cat, Panel Filter, Andy F Re-map (Ecutek) etc) and was wondering if there is anything I can do (in the future) that does not require an expensive re-map.

With that stuff done - what is the next stage? Am I right in saying that currently I have a Stage 2 upgrade?

Would an FMIC make a big difference and would it also require a new mapping session - or is anything I now do to it gonna require mapping?

TBH I am very happy with it as it is - I came from a 200bhp FTO with a fair few mods but the 4WD and Turbo experience is enough of a change that I will be happy for a while
Old 11 January 2008, 10:52 AM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Next up I'd imagine would be STi TMIC, bigger turbo & injectors, after which you would need a remap but since your car has already been mapped by Andy F any subsequent maps done by him are only about the £200 mark - the reason for the high initial cost is the liscence for the software which is a one off cost (although he does charge more if the initial map was by someone else).
Check his website for details but I'm 99% positive that I'm right.
No need for a FMIC, the STi TMIC is good for lots of power!

Last edited by Speech; 11 January 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11 January 2008, 10:56 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

To get the most out of a FMIC, a remap is advisable.

Why not lOOk at changing suspension & brake components? No remap there and your car will be faster without the BHP increase.

ARB
ALK
DL
Coilovers
Pads/Discs/x Pots

Old 11 January 2008, 11:09 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, I know I already have Tein suspension (not coilovers tho) and brakes are def on my list as they are poor!
Would changing to the STi TMIC make a difference on it's own? I assume this affects turbo spool if it is to do with cooling?

Sorry - turbos are new to me lol - 5 yrs of living/owning/driving FTOs saw to that

Originally Posted by Speech
since your car has already been mapped by Andy F any subsequent maps done by him are only about the £200 mark - the reason for the high initial cost is the liscence for the software which is a one off cost
No need for a FMIC, the STi TMIC is good for lots of power!
Cheers for that - pleased that a re-map should not be so expensive! I will check with Andy tho. I assume the license goes with the car? Should I have documentation for that? Irish Al (previous owner) gave me a folder full of receipts so I'll have a look thru them

Last edited by pmacFTO; 11 January 2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11 January 2008, 11:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest just enjoying what sounds like an amazing car !!
Old 11 January 2008, 11:14 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I would suggest just enjoying what sounds like an amazing car !!
Oh I am I always wanted to work up gradually to bigger power cars and this is a big step so I will be happy with it as it is for a good while It was more a thirst for knowledge about options for the future

EDIT: ironic? "pimmo2000 thinks his Scooby feels Slower ??"

heh - that's the day I am anticipating - altho I launched from a roundabout yesterday and scared myself ****less when the turbo kicked in in 1st lol - first time I had really pulled away quick. I am not a particularly hard driver but I missed low down power in the FTO as it, like a CTR, needs high revs to make it really go and I don't drive like that!
So this new found torque is a wonderful experience heh

Last edited by pmacFTO; 11 January 2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11 January 2008, 12:13 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmacFTO
I just bought a modified WRX (headers, exhaust, de-cat, Panel Filter, Andy F Re-map (Ecutek) etc) and was wondering if there is anything I can do (in the future) that does not require an expensive re-map.

With that stuff done - what is the next stage? Am I right in saying that currently I have a Stage 2 upgrade?

Would an FMIC make a big difference and would it also require a new mapping session - or is anything I now do to it gonna require mapping?

TBH I am very happy with it as it is - I came from a 200bhp FTO with a fair few mods but the 4WD and Turbo experience is enough of a change that I will be happy for a while

Go check Andy F new web site, will let you know what you have and where to go from there. Very good it is.
AndyForrestPerformance
Old 11 January 2008, 12:17 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on your budget
Old 11 January 2008, 01:43 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmacFTO
Oh I am I always wanted to work up gradually to bigger power cars and this is a big step so I will be happy with it as it is for a good while It was more a thirst for knowledge about options for the future
Oooh, it's a slippery slope. That's how i started. Never heard of AntiLift Kits* before, then all of a sudden i needed one. * Replace with most of my mods.

Now i've got a brain full of useless facts about subarus a mountain of debt and an addiction to reading posts on here.