ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Concrete block vs alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2008, 10:29 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concrete block vs alloy wheels

Last night driving home, pitch black road to Newton Longville, up a hill, down the hill, round a corner and BANG!! Struggled to keep the car in a straight line with grinding from the front N/S wheel and the familiar flat tyre feel from the rear, came to a stop and stepped outside the car to find my alloy wheel split clean in half and only the tyre holding it all together!

Walked back about 100 yards to find a whopping great big concrete block (now split in two because of the impact) positioned nicely in the road. What is most annoying is that it was all grass verges down that road so no curbs or anything. My suspision is that it was placed there on purpose as there are often kids in Newton Longville loitering about up to no good, and given that it was only about 100 ish meters from Newton Longville it made the most sense!!

Now I have a car off the road again, one alloy in two pieces, possible suspension damage on that side (wont know until the wheel is taken off) and a flat on the rear!

I am so gutted I could

I guess I should thank myself lucky I walked away from it as I could have wound up in a very deep ditch. Typical though, as I only just bought those alloys and some cretin has ruined it for me.

Anyone got one newage (bugeye) anthracite alloy they would sell to me?? I am desperate now!!
Old 11 January 2008, 10:53 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Proberly fell off the back of a builder wagon or skip lorry, I've followed a builders wagon before and he must of lost over a 100 bricks of his wagon over a couple of miles before anyone managed to get him to stop.
Old 11 January 2008, 11:04 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeez, sorry to hear about this mate. Hope you get it back in shape for minimum fuss. Wouldn't if it was little scallies putting things on the road, little fools don't seem to have any concept of respect for peoples property. Then again as said it could just be a block that's fallen off a lorry. Dunno how insurance or anything works on this one or if there's some kind of slush fund that would cover you in this instance as there could have been malicious intent in placing the block etc. Anyway, as said, hope it's not too damaged!

Cheers,

Tom
Old 11 January 2008, 12:18 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

I think if I can help it I am not going to go the insurance route. Hopefully there is nothing more than a replacement alloy required but I guess I will find out later on!

Thanks for the kind words
Old 11 January 2008, 12:43 PM
krisclarkuk
Scooby Regular

*shakes fist at whoever put it there*

If you find out mate, give me a phone and i'll write my car off into their face for you

Hopefully you can get it sorted asap but if you need any bits collecting from places etc while yours is off the road let me know.
Old 11 January 2008, 01:31 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kris, i'll bare that in mind, although I hope to get everything I need this weekend and fit it! God knows how I am going to do that but unfortunately I can't use the wifes car next week!! Nightmare!

If I happen upon them, i'll let you know mate, although I think you ought to keep your car in good order...perhaps use the other halfs?!!!
Old 11 January 2008, 01:34 PM
krisclarkuk
Scooby Regular

yeah she would love if i wrecked her car!

I'm off to scoobyparts tomorrow morning so if you need anything from there, let me know.
Old 11 January 2008, 01:54 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

sounds nasty . i hit a pothole once and a similar thing happened . bloody annoying
Old 11 January 2008, 02:35 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

lucky its just the alloy. Its probably gonna need new suspension armrs and a shocker.
Old 11 January 2008, 02:35 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, report it to the police and claim from the council. thats why we pay council tax
Old 11 January 2008, 02:37 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

I hope no extras are needed but given how damaged the alloy is, I wouldn't be suprised if I need suspension parts too!

Going to Grade A tomorrow to see what I can find!!
Old 12 January 2008, 10:59 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simog
Last night driving home, pitch black road to Newton Longville, up a hill, down the hill, round a corner and BANG!! Struggled to keep the car in a straight line with grinding from the front N/S wheel and the familiar flat tyre feel from the rear, came to a stop and stepped outside the car to find my alloy wheel split clean in half and only the tyre holding it all together!

Walked back about 100 yards to find a whopping great big concrete block (now split in two because of the impact) positioned nicely in the road. What is most annoying is that it was all grass verges down that road so no curbs or anything. My suspision is that it was placed there on purpose as there are often kids in Newton Longville loitering about up to no good, and given that it was only about 100 ish meters from Newton Longville it made the most sense!!

Now I have a car off the road again, one alloy in two pieces, possible suspension damage on that side (wont know until the wheel is taken off) and a flat on the rear!

I am so gutted I could

I guess I should thank myself lucky I walked away from it as I could have wound up in a very deep ditch. Typical though, as I only just bought those alloys and some cretin has ruined it for me.

Anyone got one newage (bugeye) anthracite alloy they would sell to me?? I am desperate now!!
Report it to thep olice just in case they have a history of these things. If it fell off a lorry, that's one thing, if it kids they need disenbowelling in front of the parents very slowly.
Old 12 January 2008, 11:07 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just think yourself lucky you werent on a motorbike :|

One of my worst fears is to be riding along behind a car only to see it gracefully un-cover a huge brick in my path.