Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

gearbox/clutch problem.....again!! WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2008, 06:22 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox/clutch problem.....again!! WTF!!

right then, about 3 months ago I had a excedy clutch fitted. Last month I went back to the place because I felt that the clutch just didn't feel right (catching when changing gear). The guy took it out for a test drive and said it was my gearbox on it's way out - fair do's! anyway, I finish work tonight and get in to my car, start her up and engage the clutch but it wouldn't go in to gear! Tried all the gears, but nothing! so, turns the engine off and tried to put it in gear, no problem - straight in, so I start the car with it still in gear and it just jerks forward! took it out of gear, started her up again (after about 10 minutes of turning over!?!?!?) engaged the clutch and it went in to gear with no problems. Drove home from work, about 1/2 hours work of s**t traffic with no problems at all, like nothing had happened!! Now, can anyone on here help me to suss out WTF is going on?? Is it my gearbox or is this clutch not doing it's job? I'm so pissed off with it at the minute, and I aint got an endless pit of money - I love the car to bits, but I just can't afford to throw good money after bad at it
any help would be really appriciated, and before anyone ask's I'm not naming the company, for all I know the gearbox is goosed, but I've just got a feeling that the clutch is at blame??
Old 16 January 2008, 06:55 PM
marks1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
right then, about 3 months ago I had a excedy clutch fitted. Last month I went back to the place because I felt that the clutch just didn't feel right (catching when changing gear). The guy took it out for a test drive and said it was my gearbox on it's way out - fair do's! anyway, I finish work tonight and get in to my car, start her up and engage the clutch but it wouldn't go in to gear! Tried all the gears, but nothing! so, turns the engine off and tried to put it in gear, no problem - straight in, so I start the car with it still in gear and it just jerks forward! took it out of gear, started her up again (after about 10 minutes of turning over!?!?!?) engaged the clutch and it went in to gear with no problems. Drove home from work, about 1/2 hours work of s**t traffic with no problems at all, like nothing had happened!! Now, can anyone on here help me to suss out WTF is going on?? Is it my gearbox or is this clutch not doing it's job? I'm so pissed off with it at the minute, and I aint got an endless pit of money - I love the car to bits, but I just can't afford to throw good money after bad at it
any help would be really appriciated, and before anyone ask's I'm not naming the company, for all I know the gearbox is goosed, but I've just got a feeling that the clutch is at blame??
sounds like the clutch too me how does the peddle feel? could it be loosing pressure? maybe leaking fluid good luck
Old 16 January 2008, 07:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Silly comment but has the fluid ever been changed ? Sorry if it's a cable clutch mechanism....

DunxC
Old 16 January 2008, 07:55 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Silly comment but has the fluid ever been changed ? Sorry if it's a cable clutch mechanism....

DunxC
God know's mate, what I know about this sort of thing, really isn't worth knowing!
Old 17 January 2008, 09:00 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

just to add, it had major clutch juddeer yesterday morning, but today it was fine!?!?!? Could it be some sort of air lock Baring in mind this is a faily new clutch!
Old 17 January 2008, 09:15 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

2nd opinion from someone that knows Subarus would be my first port of call.

Plus check for leaks.
Old 17 January 2008, 10:56 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

All you can do is keep an eye on it. Check the clutch fluid level every day, then every week if it's not obviously moving. (Mark the level with a fibre tip marker). If the level is dropping markedly, you've got a leak somewhere.

Other option is that with our marvellous weather at the moment, the mechanism is sticking or the clutch plates stuck together. Though I can't imagine the pedal feeling the same as normal if that happened, or indeed, if it's possible.

I'm afraid that one thing that will allow you to spend money wisely is developing a knowledge of the car. NOTE: This can be a slippery slope and lead to much expenditure if you're not disciplined in your approach.

J.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:06 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
All you can do is keep an eye on it. Check the clutch fluid level every day, then every week if it's not obviously moving. (Mark the level with a fibre tip marker). If the level is dropping markedly, you've got a leak somewhere.

Other option is that with our marvellous weather at the moment, the mechanism is sticking or the clutch plates stuck together. Though I can't imagine the pedal feeling the same as normal if that happened, or indeed, if it's possible.

I'm afraid that one thing that will allow you to spend money wisely is developing a knowledge of the car. NOTE: This can be a slippery slope and lead to much expenditure if you're not disciplined in your approach.

J.
Many thanks Vinderloo, I'll check the levels and keep an eye on it! Hopefully it's nothing major. The car never goes without, it's just at the minute I'm proper skint and could do without major expense!! Thanks again for everyones comments!!