Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
View Poll Results: Do you leave your car in gear when parked?
Never, thats what the handbrake's for!
9.73%
Always, Always, Always!
47.79%
Only on a hill/slope, it wont run away on the flat.
42.48%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Handbrake poll Re Wachdog tonight

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2008 | 08:27 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Default Handbrake poll Re Wachdog tonight

Watching watchdog tonight.

They were taking Vauxhall to task over handbrake failure. They did the same to Renault last year too.

Both manufacturers stated (I believe) that you should always leave the car in gear when parked as per the highway code, thus preventing the car rolling away if the handbrake fails.

So (he says, finally getting to the point) I had it hammered in to me by my father, mother and driving instructor to ALWAYS, ALWAYS leave the car, tractor, lorry, whatever in gear 'just in case'.

Do you?????????????????????????????????????

p.s. If this has been done to death before tell me and I'll kill it, probably.

Last edited by Gilesdwrc; 16 January 2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelin'
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I do, much to the surprise of whoever gets in the vehicle next! Of course: I always depress the clutch before operating the starter too.....
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:32 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

all the time
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:35 PM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

Always in gear i also dip the clutch to start lol.
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:38 PM
sportwagonred
Scooby Regular

Normally as I've seen what happens when the handbrake fails. No matter who'se car I get into I always check the gearlever is in neutral before turning the key.
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:44 PM
krisclarkuk
Scooby Regular

never do... even though i always dip the clutch when starting a car i would just forget and hit a lamppost or something

my memory is bad enough without having to remember something else like that... i'll end up forgetting where i live if i have to remember to take my car out of gear!
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:48 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dean_gti
Always in gear i also dip the clutch to start lol.
'Dip The clutch' I learnt the basics of driving on a tractor. You have to stand on the clutch to start them (Starter won't turn otherwise). Don't think I've ever turned the key since without my foot on the clutch.
Old 16 January 2008 | 08:56 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

From: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

I always park in gear, and always dip the clutch when starting, i do it sub- consciously. The missus doesn't though, the times in the past when after i've driven her car she's lurched forward as she's turned the key, when still in gear.
She's learnt now to check, before turning the key.
Old 16 January 2008 | 10:30 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Never leave it in gear( on a slope I wedge a tyre into the kerb).
My dad always told me it'll f*ck your gearbox if someone rear ends it.
What is the good of a gearbox in a writeoff, he never did tell me.
Old 16 January 2008 | 10:33 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I always leave mine in gear as i HAVE to press the clutch all the way home to start the car
Old 16 January 2008 | 10:53 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

In Spain you will fail your driving test if you fail to turn the front wheels into the curb and leave the gearbox in gear (or park if its an auto) after parking up.

Common sense really.

It's not like Vauxhall are the only cars that do this.

Old Land Rovers do it quite often after off-roading: the transmission brake gets filled with crud and stops working.

Citreon Xantias have a handbrake that works on the front disks. Use the brakes hard, the disks expand, then park on a hill: brakes cool, disks contract - car rolls down hill.

And the car doesn't have to have a fault or design flaw either: In snow or ice, I've parked cars that then slide down hills as there is not enough weight on the rear wheels to dig through the snow into the ground (my Impreza did that few times when I left it running in neutral on my drive as I went to open the garage). Lucky non were RWD cars (except for turning into the curb your kind of screwed if that happens with a RWD )

Last edited by Shark Man; 16 January 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 16 January 2008 | 11:45 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Its funny this post is on here, my mum told me this afternoon that she found my dads car in a hedge yesterday after she parked it on a hill not in gear, its a brand new volvo v50! Oops I said she should have left it in gear, it narrowly missed two parked cars too! Then again I've heard that any shunt even small will wreck the gearbox so I normally only leave the scoob in gear on a very steep hill otherwise just make sure the hand brake is tight.
Old 17 January 2008 | 12:08 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

i leave it in neutral so that it can Remote Start with my Clifford
Old 17 January 2008 | 08:24 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick_wrx
Its funny this post is on here, my mum told me this afternoon that she found my dads car in a hedge yesterday after she parked it on a hill not in gear, its a brand new volvo v50! Oops I said she should have left it in gear, it narrowly missed two parked cars too! Then again I've heard that any shunt even small will wreck the gearbox so I normally only leave the scoob in gear on a very steep hill otherwise just make sure the hand brake is tight.
lol ...it must be something about volvo's, I had to inform my neighbour when i found his blocking the road (cul-de-sac) as it had rolled off his drive!

& yes, a parked car left in gear can easily end up with a knacked gearbox if it get's 'bumped' ...been there, bought the t-shirt
Old 17 January 2008 | 08:37 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I come from Norfolk.... no hills to worry about so no problem

Generally though; no, I don't leave it in gear. On the extremely rare occasion I park on a hill, I do.
Old 17 January 2008 | 08:49 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
I always leave mine in gear as i HAVE to press the clutch all the way home to start the car
Mine too - must be a JDM thing. But I depress clutch in any car to start it, and leave in gear when when parked. It's so simple to do, doesn't do any harm and might just save the day.
Old 17 January 2008 | 08:51 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Always have, My parents taught me that
Old 17 January 2008 | 09:16 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Ive driven round a corner and found a car parked across the road where the brake failed.

But have any you tried to change a rear wheel in rwd car like a bmw or mercedes? Cant leave them in gear! Im pretty sure some of them have buttons to apply the front brakes, but not all.

And i allways leave the car in gear and most automatics wont let you take the key out if the car isnt in park. If someones hits it and damages the gearbox im not worried as the cars insured.
Old 17 January 2008 | 09:23 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Que the influx of insurance claims because people start leaving their cars in 1st when parked on flat carparks and promptly smash into the car in front.. lol

I always put my car in gear if im on a slope.. Even easier in an auto

And if someone crashes into your car hard enough to 'damage the gearbox' then I think a damanged gearbox would be the least of your worries :P
Old 17 January 2008 | 09:37 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
And if someone crashes into your car hard enough to 'damage the gearbox' then I think a damanged gearbox would be the least of your worries :P
I had no idea, until i got in & couldn't get it out of first ...it was after a fair bit of time & head scratching that i noticed the bumper 'scuff' & even that polished out!!
Old 17 January 2008 | 09:54 AM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

From: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP

Always leave in gear when parked on a slope and depress clutch when starting. Habit now. Took a test drive with the GF of a ITR-DC05, they wont start unless the clutch is fully depressed.

Had a customer at the unit who started her car (new Clio 172 sport) whilst standing with drivers door open!! shame mechanic had left it in gear as he always does. car shot back and folded drivers door the wrong way aginst the car it was parked next too. Think she tried to blame us for damage due to leaving car in gear.
Old 17 January 2008 | 10:05 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
Mine too - must be a JDM thing. But I depress clutch in any car to start it, and leave in gear when when parked. It's so simple to do, doesn't do any harm and might just save the day.
I was wondering that too? I also have to press the clutch all the way in. I wasn't sure whether it was a JDM thing or the aftermarket security fitted?
Old 17 January 2008 | 10:34 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
I had no idea, until i got in & couldn't get it out of first ...it was after a fair bit of time & head scratching that i noticed the bumper 'scuff' & even that polished out!!
To be fair there was probalby something wrong with your gearbox in the first place.. Just think if you ever had to bump start the car you would have probably killed your gear box then
Old 17 January 2008 | 10:35 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by psigeek
I was wondering that too? I also have to press the clutch all the way in. I wasn't sure whether it was a JDM thing or the aftermarket security fitted?
I think he ment thats what he normally does, to be safe..

Not sure why your car would REQUIRE you to push the clutch?
Old 17 January 2008 | 10:43 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

I think he ment thats what he normally does, to be safe..

Not sure why your car would REQUIRE you to push the clutch?
Require it does. I think it's supposed to be some sort of anti-hijack device.
Old 17 January 2008 | 11:51 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Leaving you car in gear also makes it harder to steal. Getting under a car and cutting the handbrake cable then hauling it onto the back of a low loader is quite easy. Doesn't normally trigger the alarm either!

Can't get it out of gear easily though without getting into the car, which will usually involve breaking a window, setting off the alarm etc.

Me, always left in gear, in neutral and foot on the clutch to start. Puts less load on the starter motor, battery etc. so means it doesn't wear out so quick.
Old 17 January 2008 | 12:08 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Always in gear, car won't start without depressing clutch anyhow.
Old 17 January 2008 | 12:17 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Well, i always leave it in neutral. Handbrake on.

I have this discussion with the wifey all the time, because being a scandy they are taught to leave it in gear and leave the handbrake off! In case it freezes.
Old 22 January 2008 | 04:45 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

To be fair there was probalby something wrong with your gearbox in the first place.. Just think if you ever had to bump start the car you would have probably killed your gear box then

Aye, the only way a bump can damage a gearbox is if its a VERY heavy bump (i.e the car is hit so hard its a write off).

Or if its an automatic - although the damage to them is just limited to the parking pawl that locks the gearbox, no biggy - It;ll still drive, just Park doesn't work that well afterwards (so its more likely to roll down a hill ).
Old 22 January 2008 | 04:58 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Always in gear car wont start unless dip clutch - it even tells you on the display !
but rarely remember to use the handbrake !
Richard

Quick Reply: Handbrake poll Re Wachdog tonight