ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Am I mad?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 09:08 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Am I mad?

I recently bought a UKDM DC2 with only 28k on the clock for my wife as she has always loved them. Anyway since getting the car just before xmas I can't stop driving it; its an awesome piece of kit. Yes I know it’s slower the than my MY05 STI PPP but the things just makes you feel part of the car. The problem I now have is that I have fallen out of love with the STI. Last weekend I drove them back to back and the ITR just puts the biggest smile on my face than the scoob. I just feel that the Teg handles better than the STI and I can get more out of it. I've had the geometry etc checked by the local dealer and they assure me that everything is tickity boo. So the choices I have are getting rid of the scoob and buying a JDM FD2 CTR which is supposed to be an awesome piece of kit or spend a couple of grand and get the suspension sorted. What a dilemma!

What would you do?
Old 17 January 2008, 09:32 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

first, as you dont say how long you've owned the teg so i would wait for the honeymoon period to finish before making any rash or expensive decisions.

Its true that the Newage cars are far too heavy and compromised to be as exciting as the RA's and R's of the classics. Theyre a bit more grown up and yes im in the same boat as you, haave an 04 sti ppp and find it a great big lumbering pig and have been researching noble's, exige s's, STi RA's and s2000's for a replacement or compliment to it. I also find that you dont have to have have a ballistic fast car to have fun in. On a dry day i would much prefer to take my little 2.0 BMW Z4 out as, like you say with your Teg, it's just more fun altough the speeds it reaches arent quite the same.

If you havent had the basic suspension mods done like Anti lift kit, springs and antiroll bars done, get it done, the car becomes much better. But it doesnt change it into an animal, just makes it tighter.

And im sorry but have no idea what a jdm fd2 civic is, but if your going to go for a car thats fast and more importnantly fun to drive at ALL speeds, go rwd, whether it be a ****ty old sierra or something modern.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:04 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

The FD2 CTR is an amazing motor, looks the part too. However, although a good laugh at the end of the day it is still lacking in power and you have to spend an arm and a leg for any power upgrades that aren't that siginificant, although last £4K at an FD2 for a JRSC and some form of a big brake upgrade and you are laughing, 300bhp and a hoot to drive.

I had a CTR (EP3) before I bought MY07 STi, amazing cars to drive, nippy but not mentally fast, superb fun though.

G
Old 17 January 2008, 11:07 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Whats a UKDM DC2?
Old 17 January 2008, 11:17 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda integra type r.

Ive always loves the import tegs especially in white, very pleasing to look at, they're what 220hp 2.2 vtec?
Old 17 January 2008, 12:16 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

DC2 great bit of kit especially for the money and little depreciation. I've had previously a DC2 ITR, ATR and 2 CTR's. Although the ITR wasnt the most practicle it was by far the most fun to drive.

The ITR uk version only had a 1.8 vtec lump but pushed out about 187bhp if I recall.. I sold mine as it wasnt a practicle family car. As a day to day car your sti will be far more user friendly ie 4doors, big boot etc. Depending on your circumstances that is! I would stick with the scoob and use the teg at weekends
Old 17 January 2008, 12:18 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

im currently selling up my scoob and replacing it with a dc5 (new shape teg) great cars cant wait
Old 17 January 2008, 12:20 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your mind is already made up.

Get one, then if it doesn't live up just get another STi.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes i will take my vRS over the STi. It's just easier to drive, easier to get a shift on and you get out relaxed after 1.5hrs, rather feeling like you've just completed the RAC rally.
Old 17 January 2008, 02:07 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serpico
DC2 great bit of kit especially for the money and little depreciation. I've had previously a DC2 ITR, ATR and 2 CTR's. Although the ITR wasnt the most practicle it was by far the most fun to drive.

The ITR uk version only had a 1.8 vtec lump but pushed out about 187bhp if I recall.. I sold mine as it wasnt a practicle family car. As a day to day car your sti will be far more user friendly ie 4doors, big boot etc. Depending on your circumstances that is! I would stick with the scoob and use the teg at weekends

Both are weekend cars and we don't have any kids so practicalities don't really come in to it. I've had Type R's before but never a Teg. Type R's get under your skin and the Teg is far better than any of the civics I've had. I think the problem with the STI is its too heavy and feels rolly polly in comparison. I test drove a P1 a few years ago and was blown away by how chuckable it was and how easy it was to power slide and it seemed so focused.

I’m happy with the power as I live in rural France so I’m by far the fastest car on the roads around here so I’m not chasing big power figures. 302bhp is enough for me. Maybe the Type 25 setup from Power stataion would be worth pursuing, certainly cheaper than chopping it in and paying around 6K more for the JDM Civic.
Old 17 January 2008, 02:25 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Import DC2 tegs are 198bhp 1.8l odhc vtec engine. The import is far and beyondthat of the UKDM. The JDM one has better lsd, stiffer suspension, more aggressive cams. Just sheer brilliance.