subaru wagon/estate advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 12:16 PM
sti degsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subaru wagon/estate advice needed

hi
im looking to expand our family next year already got a little boy and thinking about getting a classic wagon or maybe a legacy estate for some extra room anyone recomend any of these for me the missus and two little ones?
doing some early research ive currentley got a 99 classic saloon would it be worth going after any of these or stick with mine any opinions?
thanks in advance
ian
Old 17 January 2008, 12:54 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sti degsy
hi
im looking to expand our family next year already got a little boy and thinking about getting a classic wagon or maybe a legacy estate for some extra room anyone recomend any of these for me the missus and two little ones?
doing some early research ive currentley got a 99 classic saloon would it be worth going after any of these or stick with mine any opinions?
thanks in advance
ian

wagon\estate whatever you want to call them; identical to salons with the exception of having lots more load space, weighs 35kgs more and looks waaayyyy better.

hth
Old 17 January 2008, 01:01 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

Wagons are great - just an Impreza with moe boot space and no silly spoiler.

Legacys are a bit bigger and some have more kit than the impreza.

Legacy GTB is the best if you need more space than the Impreza wagon
Old 17 January 2008, 01:17 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aquanaut
Legacy GTB is the best if you need more space than the Impreza wagon
Forester all the way, same footprint as an Impreza, weighs less than a Regacy and all the normal Impreza bits fit.....

Simon
Old 17 January 2008, 01:28 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Now (sadly due to wagon now being off road) had opportunity to be in both as I have a saloon as well as the wagon.

Lots more space in the cabin (wagon) for the kiddies (I have 2!) as there is more clearance between the back and front seats just ripe for little legs and feet to kick around in and doesn't leave you feeling cramped in the front.

Boot space is similar length and width wise but the saloon cant compare when considering height and seems great for lumping in the pushchair and the monthly shop.

I had room enough for the child seat, booster seat and an entire weeks worth of clothing (2 large suitcases) and a pushchair when we went on holiday....something the saloon will never compete with!

Very practical scooby (if there is such a thing!) and I would definatly recommend.

One thing that I did like was being able to custom make a mdf parcel shelf for it to house my 6x9's as the roller blind cover was a little naff!

Model wise I was more tempted by the WRX import as it has more power to lug around that extra weight, and it is very torquey low down with the TD04 cutting in at about 2500K revs. I think the UK spec is heavier due to steel bonnet as the one I have is alloy.

Don't expect huge amounts of blistering performance from the std wrx wagon (and even less from the UK spec), but they are plenty tunable and if you go for the sti variant, even better!!

just my two pence worth.
Old 17 January 2008, 01:41 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simog

One thing that I did like was being able to custom make a mdf parcel shelf for it to house my 6x9's as the roller blind cover was a little naff!
Must do that myself...

Have a wagon as I do a lot of load lugging.. Its a great car and I couldn't ask for more.. When I change it I will either be going for a new age wagon, a leagacy, or maybe a mitsu legnum? estate!
Old 17 January 2008, 01:43 PM
sti degsy
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice just seen a legacy gtb in the local paper so might have a nip down and have a look at that.
think im swayed more to the impreza wagon at the moment!
Old 17 January 2008, 01:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

The legacy GTB's are really quick compared to similar spec Impreza - haven't worked out why but probably 'cos the ickle turbo spins up instantly giving power from low revs. When the big turbo comes in it is way faster than my old Type-R that had 300BHP (ish)

p.s. 175 MPH top speed apparently and the load bay is way much bigger that the impreza wagon.

Legacy is cheaper to buy, but you are limited what you can do if you want to tune it further (remaps not available on early ones)
Old 17 January 2008, 01:53 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

The impreza wagon was originally designed as a more laid back cruiser compared to the saloon! But they can still shift
Old 17 January 2008, 01:54 PM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

I went from a saloon to a wagon. I have 2 kids and take them camping, loads more space in the back as has been previuosly said
Old 17 January 2008, 01:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been planning to get a type R and something with more space (Jeep or similar) for day to day and I need something to lug around my daughter and all my RC racing gear (can fill a saloon boot easy).

Having a look at a wagon this afternoon. Not a type R I know but has potential to do both jobs (fun and practical)
Old 17 January 2008, 02:02 PM
shrewiside
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys

the td04 turbo used in the wagons spins up really nice and early, and actually feels better to about 4500 than the td05 in the saloons.

but ive done many wagons now, and continue to do so at present, as i find that value for money you just can't wrong, and the real niche that you will find is that they are very much more practical, so a lot of guys have found that these are the best way into the world of scooby without upsetting the trouble and strife!

if you do crave a bit more top end, which you might, ive had good results with simply slapping a tdo5 in there, a Z4 ecu, good pipe and filter,, intercooler improvement and a remap is always good but not entirely neccessary, and say Bye Bye STi!!!

i did all the above with a £1500 budget, and got some change and very good results.

one last thing though, be sure to check the vin / engine codes before buying.

wagons as i recall, come in various outputs depending on GF8 B, C, or D origin, and that can mean as little as 220 or as good as 240/250 bhp design.

there are some threads or clever bods here that will confirm this for you, so start with the right one and your mostly there...

Good luck, happy hunting, give me a holla if you want to buy mine!!!

Cheers

Shrew
Old 17 January 2008, 02:22 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Got an 02 bugeye Wagon, 2 young boys (3 and 6) and it's great - fun when you want it to be but good for long journeys. Planning to drive from London to NE Scotland soon, been to Bristol and back and think it's a great family car.

I haven't driven a classic so can't comment on those. I would love to get a GB270 in a few years time, maybe even an import Forester STi.

Go for it!
Old 17 January 2008, 02:48 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Started off with a MY99 Classic Wagon. Nippy, roomy and starting to rattle.
Standard engine, exhaust and filter. ISOFIX for the grandson! God I love the little tyke.

Then a MY01 WRX Bugeye modded but really fitted the bill. Better build quality,leather, felt slower, better built but was getting to feel it's age. Exhaust, map, filter, fuel pump, strut braces, 264bhp 332 Nms etc

Leggy is better built, bigger, better spec (JDM), twinscroll and so stealthy. It can and does embarrass some serious metal when it needs to.

View my Scoob

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 18 January 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 17 January 2008, 09:55 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Wagons are the biz,looks so much better than the saloons with the comedy rear spoilers,less attention from plod and the low life that exists in and around our streets these days,and they can be made quite rapid for a little outlay....... loads of room for the sprogs and put a smile on your face every day it gets used,no complaints from me.