Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 04:49 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Smash?

I went out to de-tango my blobeye STI headlights following this guide

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...eadlights.html

However much to my amusement I could not find the fiddly 2 x phillips screws mentioned.

I then removed the fog cover and saw that clip, the one on the wing doesn't appear to be there? possibly broken.

Where the phillips should be as per description is 2 x 10mm nuts with the bolts being front side (if that makes sense?)

My bonnet has never closed properly needs a push down to catch but it's never bothered me to much, I did HPI the car and it's clear of any Cat C or D issues etc.

The previous own signed that he had no knowledge of it ever being in any accident and the car is from 1 previous owner.

Is it possible someone can take a picture to show these phillips screws and clip into the wing please!

Because if so i'll dig deeper into the cars history as the only previous owner signed to state no knowledge of any accident but i'm now fearing that it's had front end smash thus different fixings and missing clip.

I'll be most grateful and paypal whoever the £2.70 to cover the cost of a beer - paypals 4% charge

I'm hoping i'm a complete fool and just missed spotting the phillips screw and clips but after spending 30 mins of looking with the aid of a torch I don't think even i'm that stupid.
Old 17 January 2008, 05:22 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the white bracket held on with two screws on the left hand side?

This is secured with two philips headed screws and are in a pig of a place to get at.
If one is missing then the headlight has been out. It might not have anything to do with a smash - just the headlight was broken by a stone.
However, the white brackets can get easily brokenwhen the headlight gets takne off and the replaced.
Nick
Old 17 January 2008, 05:43 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Possibly had after mrket lights fitted and PO swapped them for originals to sell it?
Old 17 January 2008, 06:12 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

Aye white bracket is missing both sides :S and it's not phillips screw, headlights infront of fire at moment to de-tango.

Whats your paypal anyway man of my word I owe you a beer
Old 18 January 2008, 12:41 AM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

The two philips screws you are referring to are the ones holding the white bracket to the headlamp unit.
Also the white "wing clips" are made from a fairly brittle plastic which snaps if the locating pin snags and pulls the clip out.
The bonnet is lightweight and will need a downward shove to close it unlike a steel one which will close under it's own weight.

It's likely that the headlamps have been out simply to replace the sidelight bulbs - read the owners manual and laugh at the three pages of instructions to replace them!!

HTH to put your mind at rest
Old 18 January 2008, 12:49 AM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for words of wisdom! I've de-tango'd the passenger headlamp, no condensation in this cold weather after refitted around 8pm, clips and bracket were missing hence slight headlamp movement, will try get myself one of these white brackets.

Going to de-tango the drivers side tomorrow hopefully will be easier now I know what to do, heater didn't loosen mastic.

4 mins at 70 degree seem to do trick in the oven.

As for manual made my blood boil, undo 3 clips and simply pull light towards you! yeh it was that easy!!!!
Old 18 January 2008, 01:36 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK02AFK
Whats your paypal anyway man of my word I owe you a beer
Forget it - SN is (should be) for enthusiasts to give help each other without cost.

Peace & love

nick
Old 18 January 2008, 05:21 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

Did drivers side today and it was really really easy, I simply pulled light and clip out it came, passenger side yesterday felt like it was welded to the car and wouldn't budge.

Whack a few pics in members lounge.

Very grateful for the responses in here!

THANKS!