ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Spec D or Spec UK

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2008, 08:18 PM
MrMajic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D or Spec UK

Hi all, looking for some opinions here, I'm thinking about one of the two above, am I right in thinking that (standard) thery're pretty much the same? What are the significant differences please, and does one hold values better than the other.

I can't have a car that's too 'in your face' but both (in greay) look reasonably discrete (compared to the blue ones).

I'd appreciate any comments, thanks.

Mark
Old 25 January 2008, 09:56 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

The Spec D was a limited edition version of the UK STi, so mechanically they are the same.

The Spec D was supplied with a low level WRX spoiler (instead of the high STi version), silver alloys, dark grey full leather interior, upgraded Pioneer headunit with bluetooth phone facility and also SmartNav, and supposedly extra soundproofing. The Spec D also had fog lights which the standard car doesn't. From the outside its only the Brembo calipers, slightly larger bonnet scoop and rear under diffuser that show any real difference to a WRX.

The crystal grey versions both look more discreet than WR Blue, whether in Spec D guise or standard STi, its the silver alloys and low spoiler that are the big difference.

The Spec D is likely to hold its value better than the standard car due to the extras and limited edition status, but consequently are likely to cost more to buy - I believe all 300 Spec Ds are sold.

A standard STi in crystal grey could be made to look more discreet just by doing a deal and changing the spoiler and alloys if you weren't bothered about the head unit, leather and SmartNav.

Good luck...

Gareth.

PS - Welcome to Scoobynet
Old 25 January 2008, 10:01 PM
MrMajic
Scooby Regular

Hi Gareth

Thanks, that's really helpful. I just can't decide what to do! I've got a golf V5 at the moment, which is nice, but would like some more performance. I did drive a Mazda 6 mps the other day, but it didn't 'do' it for me. My golf averages around 30mpg driven carefully, any idea what I could inspect from the spec D.

Thanks

Mark
Old 25 January 2008, 10:15 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get about 20 mpg
Old 25 January 2008, 10:18 PM
MrMajic
Scooby Regular

Jeez! Is that average, driving carefully? I get 20 or so in town (golf is 2.3l) but on a decent run around 30-34mpg?
Old 25 January 2008, 10:45 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note on the values ..... until I bought this week I was looking at uk sti / spec ds almost every day. There are alot of the Ds around (I think motorpoint have bought a load) more so than STIs for similar money.... I don't understand why but check out auto trader and you'll see.

If you want one with the PPP look even harder

I'm getting 24mpg currently by the way but sure I can improve that ... but then whats the point
Old 25 January 2008, 11:23 PM
MrMajic
Scooby Regular

Thanks, not sure what you mean about values. I'm lookin at a 56 plate Type D with 14k miles at £16,250, which seems ok. What do you think?
Old 25 January 2008, 11:29 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrMajic
Thanks, not sure what you mean about values. I'm lookin at a 56 plate Type D with 14k miles at £16,250, which seems ok. What do you think?
Good I'd say ... you'll stuggle to get an STI in good nick for that money 1!!
Old 25 January 2008, 11:30 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Gareth

Thanks, that's really helpful. I just can't decide what to do! I've got a golf V5 at the moment, which is nice, but would like some more performance. I did drive a Mazda 6 mps the other day, but it didn't 'do' it for me. My golf averages around 30mpg driven carefully, any idea what I could inspect from the spec D.

Thanks

Mark
28mpg -ish is my usual, and I like to drive

VMS

Spec-D's are a complete no brainer over the STi. You get lots of extra goodies, if you like the STI wing just put one on, costs less than optional leather, HU upgrades etc etc.

Frank Göpfert - Die Geschichte des Impreza GT - www.goep.de.vu -

www.Subaru-Impreza.de - Special Editions of the Impreza Turbo worldwide - P1 - 22B - WR1 - Prodrive Style - Electra One - S201 - S202 - S203 - S204 - S205
Old 26 January 2008, 02:46 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez! Is that average, driving carefully? I get 20 or so in town (golf is 2.3l) but on a decent run around 30-34mpg?
It's got PPP and i like to use the engine. I generally get about 200 - 220 miles to the tank and then put in about 50 litres
When I was running it in below 4000rpm I might have got over high 20's, but that was 35000 miles ago.
Probably best to go on the official figures supplied - whatever they are.
Other significant costs will be Insurance, tax, tyres and brake pads.
I don't use a Subaru dealer for my servicing though.
10 and 20k services are generally oil and other basic sundries.
I think every 50 k or so is cambelt which costs a bit.
Don't be put off by the cost - but don't walk in with your eyes shut either.
I've heard of people getting very good deals on Spec Ds, so that may well be your best bet at a degree of frugality!
Old 26 January 2008, 05:27 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

The larger rear spoiler, the rear window spoiler and foglight covers would cost about £750 to buy... so I'd also say that a Spec.D is a better buy as you're getting about £2,000 of extras for similar money. Plus, in the trade guide, IIRC the Spec.D is about 500-600 extra value-wise which reflects its original list price of circa £29000.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 26 January 2008, 05:58 PM
MrMajic
Scooby Regular

Cool, thanks for the advice everyone, really helpful.