ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The performance experiance?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 04:55 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The performance experiance?

I been thinking alot about the inevitable differences in driving between my ctr and the scooby i may purchase. As far as the difference in the power delivery goes.
I love the combination of the vtec and gearbox performance although i can appreciate the issue of torque. Stay with me on this one
When people talk about the lack of torque in the ctr they are completely off the mark. When you are enjoying the ctr properly the car never drops below 6000rpm so torque is a no issue due to the excellant gearbox and low(ish) weight. I.e when going through 6000rpm especially in 3/4/5 gears there is a feeling of good torque as momentum changes due to cam change. (those that have owned a ctr will know what iam talking about).
So can you guys give me a better understanding of how the scoob (wrx ppp/sti) engine/gearbox combo feels?
I feel to rev a car is almost as important to the scenses as good handling when it comes to exhileration. I have driven deisels the latest a new civic 2.2 turbo deisel which felt obviously very torquey and on boost almost as quick is my ctr. BUT after a couple of hours enthusiastic driving got out with no sweaty palms no exhileration at all. Felt like i could have drove it fast with my eyes closed. NOT GOOD for me. CTR= sweaty palms trembling edrenalin pump, as it should be getting out of any good performance car after a proper blast.
So is the scooby wrx ppp/sti still happy reving and more importantly pulling at high rev,s?
Probably why almost any diesel is not seen as performance cars at the moment because they dont imo involve the driver with the engine or gearbox as well, being a car which only needs changing up every 2 seconds at 4/5000 rpm.. how ya gonna break a sweat? For me hi revving is a must, it engages a frantic teeth gripping experiance which involves all the sences. Thats what i dont want to loose.
A guy i used to work with drove his dads wrx every now and again and said it pulls from 2500 to red line. Is this accurate?
Old 27 January 2008, 05:10 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Yes, a wrx will pull from 2.5k rpm. This is exactly why I didn't buy a ctr. I don't drive (or want to) at 6k+ all the time. You can drive like this in a wrx if you want to, but you won't get the same feeling as your ctr. Personally, I prefer not to be caught out by being in the wrong gear, but it sounds like you like the challenge.

It's not like a diesel, though, coz I know what you mean about them. They will pull at virtually any revs, but giving them stick doesn't make them more exciting to drive.

It's your choice, at the end of the day. Do you want a car that has to be thrashed to enjoy, or one that's as fast or faster with less effort?
Old 27 January 2008, 05:26 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Rmonkey
A guy i used to work with drove his dads wrx every now and again and said it pulls from 2500 to red line. Is this accurate?
IMHO thats statement not accurate but it's not false either Unless its been severly "Tweaked" . hard to compare Traits Turbo charged engine to a VTecs as chalk and cheese both have weaknesses both do a good job you just need to adjust driving style to compensate IMHO

Perhaps you ought to try a JDM Sti with a twin scroll turbo which revs 1Krpm higher than a UK car it might float your boat more

Tony
Old 27 January 2008, 05:36 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

I generally don,t drive the ctr flat all the time. I would have either been banned or dead by now. I am sensible and think about making my 20 quid go a bit further as i use it everyday. But obviously your saying that performance is easier to exploit in the scooby due to the turbo. Granted! but if you want to go for a good burn down a favourite route the ctr comes alive and gives that real touring car feel. Its not that difficult to use the vtec but is all involving. You get to the end of a fairly twisty b-road with straights and the heart is pumping. Why? because you have to drive the thing! Will i still experiance that level of involvement. Or are we talking the diesel experiance.
What happens if you rev high and change gear do the revs fall out its ****?

Last edited by Rmonkey; 27 January 2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:41 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

The best thing to do would be to go and have a test drive. That way you'll know for yourself. People can spend hours trying to convey a driving experience through writing but it will never compare to the real thing.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:45 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for reply,s and yes a test drive is the only way i will know for sure. It sounds like i may well prefer what i have. Maybe an ex ctr owner who made the change can convey a good comparison. Whether or not they miss this level of involvement. Iam first and foremost a drivers driver so this is very important. i never buy a car for what it looks like but how it feels. Although most people say the ctr looks like a bread van and the scooby is ugly i love the look of both they look purposefull. Thats what i like. Something thats ugly to most looks fast as **** to me. Thats what i like.
What happens if you rev high and change gear do the revs fall out its ****?

Last edited by Rmonkey; 27 January 2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:52 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

If your not bothered about a classic model then I highly recommend test driving an STi/WRX Type RA or an STi Type R (3 door shell).

They are worlds apart from anything else including the newage car's (I went from a newage STi PPP to an STi Type RA version 6). The gear shifiting is insane so you will always be able to keep the car within the powerband and they are not shy when it comes to revving however the CTR is an NA engine designed to deliver it's power higher up in the rev's as apposed to the Impreza which delivers it's power earlier due to the use of the turbo.

If you prefer a higher revving engine you can change the characteristics of the engine with a different manifold and remap which should move the powerband higher up allowing you to use the higher rev's. Ultimately what you want to do is get a test drive of a few Impreza's to see which one suits you best.

For me, my STi Type RA is one of THE best driver's car's I have owned, it fully involves you in the driving experience due to the raw nature of the RA car (i.e light weight, virtually no sound proofing, quickshift gearbox, quickrack steering etc etc). When I had my newage STi PPP I found the car great but found I wanted something a bit more track orientated hence why I switched to the classic shape RA.

Last edited by finalzero; 27 January 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:56 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

would these versions be imports or could i buy one from a dealer here? And yes i would prefer one the same age or newer than my ctr which is 04
Old 27 January 2008, 06:12 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rmonkey
would these versions be imports or could i buy one from a dealer here? And yes i would prefer one the same age or newer than my ctr which is 04
The classics would be imports so not what your after. If your after a similar age car then go for something like an STi Spec C/Spec V-Limited (these would be imports).

The newage Spec Type RA's are quite hard to find as only a handful of them came into the country via import but you could always contact someone like Immy at Performance Centre Manchester who might be able to source a good example for you.

Unfortunately there is nothing similar in the UK spec car's i.e those produced for the UK market, all of the Spec C's, Type RA's and the amazing STi Type RA-R can only be had through an importer.
Old 27 January 2008, 06:32 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Rmonkey - there is a world of difference in the handling too - whereas a CTR will wash-out with understeer on tight corners you won't believe the speed you can carry with a proper 4 wheel drive system. Unfortunately the CTR is inferior to other FWD cars like Clio 182/197, etc, in this aspect, but better straight line performance - I speak from experience having owned all these cars.

If you want an 04 plate onward Scooby and you want the hardcore thrills like a CTR then I would look at a Spec C model. This will zing its way to the redline whilst pulling from very low revs due to the twin scroll turbo. The sound will be more race car than typical subaru burble too - which you may prefer

I think there is a good one for sale on here from SpecC57
Old 27 January 2008, 07:08 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...a-up-sale.html - not quite newage but a stunning machine though
Old 27 January 2008, 07:32 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

terryb? wow great credentials(think thats how you spell it). just read your profile. Just the kind of experiance i was hopeing for. I have no real race/track experiance apart from cough cough a few track/rally days. But do feel i have a good understanding of the theory/physics of road racing. So appreciate your thoughts on my predicament.
Iam quite a sensible type and things like mpg and other costs do have a bearing on my decisions with cars.
Naturaly i believed that the car i always wanted since my pug 306gti-6 and the next step was a scooby.(bottled it last time bought the ctr insurance cost,s ). I have not done any track days in my own car and use my car for work and everyday so got pretty fed up with reliability issues with the pug which led to the trade in for the ctr(brand new back in 2004).
The pug showed me (coming from a renualt 19 16v way back when i was 23 which i loved) how good hot hatches could be but did enjoy and am enjoying the ctr it is a bit better straight line but pug had great involving handling more progressive.
From what iam hearing compared to the ctr, type uk scoobys may feel a bit diesel like in the power delivery with awd. So grip would be a dream but not the raw driving experiance which to me is what motor sport is all about cough cough lotus 7. Is the ctr about the closest iam going to get for this kind of driving experiance on the road for those b-road moments.
Old 27 January 2008, 08:03 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Rmonkey - I think you want a Spec C all the way - unless you go for a P1 (older, classic shape, but more raw then the majority of the newer age Scoobies).

You have to get one out for a test drive, or get yourself along to the next Hampshire Subaru meet and ask Darren (scoobytc) for a ride in his - this will be on 11th Feb in the Southampton area - look out for it on our site
Old 27 January 2008, 08:10 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

My Spec C Type-RA is up for sale (free plug )

Litchfield Imports
Old 27 January 2008, 08:18 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Rmonkey,

Alright mate, I used to own a CTR on an 03 plate before I bought my present car MY07 STi - pics in View My Scooby.

I owned my CTR for 3 years and whilst I had it, it was the best car on the road in my eyes, I think you get quite caught up with the CTR (EP3 model that is) as its a very involved drive, its a raw car coupled with some great components. As you say the gearbox is fantastic and VTEC is addictive.

When I sold my CTR I was devestated to an extent as it was 2 weeks further on until I was to pick up my STi. After a day of owning my scooby I forgot what VTEC was and all other things that are CTR related.

I am still a member of CTRO which is where Bushiwarrior and Alpha Charlie on this forum came from, both owning CTRs before going to Scoobs, again both of them really don't regret making the transition.

My advice would to be to take a few test drives in various models of scoobies and I think you will see the light mate, end of the day the CTR and the Scoob are in completely different leagues!!

G
Old 27 January 2008, 09:03 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks magicgreg!
MrRA lightweight nothing but a peanut.Ah ah aha h i saw that program ages ago what an animal. Thanks for replys guys
Old 27 January 2008, 09:05 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

You have been watching a bit of Ronnie Coleman have you.

He was a monster!!

G
Old 27 January 2008, 09:56 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Ye me and a couple of mates were really into the weights a while back. Still enjoy going down the gym just no where as much now. He has started a family and i bought a house.
Funny thing is now i dont eat, sleep, drink the gym i think i do better out of it. probably give me self better recovery now. And thats where the gains are to be had.

Last edited by Rmonkey; 27 January 2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 10:12 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA

Litchfield Imports
one of only a few correctly registered in Europe
Why the need for this line?? Why, when you HPI check Litcho cars, nothing apprears in the Model section, that 2 or 3 I've checked now.
Old 27 January 2008, 10:22 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MrRA

Litchfield Imports

I have a look at it tommorrow if it had been blue i'd would have had to hidden my credit card

Tony
Old 27 January 2008, 10:32 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ex 2006 premier ctr in nhb moved to a 2007 wrx and never looked back like night and day tbh and i loved my honda too.