Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How do I get rid of the smell of Nitrous Formula from my car?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 07:34 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get rid of the smell of Nitrous Formula from my car?

I've just bought 4 bottles of NF from someone who participated in the group buy. I was originally going to get 5, but one of the bottles exploded in transit.

Despite only having them in my car for about 5 minutes, and keeping them in a plastic bag, my car now stinks and is causing headaches if you're in there for more than 5 minutes. My GF wont even let me keep them in the house, so they're currently hanging on the door to the coal shed.

I'm heading off to Ireland tomorrow, so I could really do with taking them with me since they only have gnats **** for petrol over there, so my questions are:

1) How do I get the smell out of my car? (would leaving all the windows open on the ferry be helpful?)

2) How do I get the bottles clean again without damaging the product?

3) How can I transport them without stinking out my car again?
Old 28 January 2008, 12:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Mine come from RCMS with a bag over the cap and elastic band and very well bubble wrapped. Never a damaged/leaking one.

Try searching for "smoking/removing smells". i remember reading a thread about all different products for removing smells outta the car.
Old 28 January 2008, 01:04 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've only had one leaking bottle and that was because the white plastic seal that sits inside the lid fell out while I was using the NF - I then replaced the lid without it in and when the bottle fell over onto its side, the NF started to leak out gradually; moral of story, check the NF cap to ensure seal is still there before you screw it back on

As for smell, I was lucky in that the leaking NF was over the rear mat, which promptly went into the washing machine.
Old 29 January 2008, 12:01 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Well it turns out that as well as one of them having exploded in transit, another one was punctured.

I am really really fcuked off right now, I have just driven from near Newport to Belfast via the Fishguard->Rosslare ferry and despite doing the whole Newport->Fishguard leg with all the windows down in the freezing ******* cold, the fumes are still there and I have a raging headache now I've made it to Belfast and also my eyes are stinging. I think the stuff has soaked into my (cloth) seat.

Even my bloody mobile phone stinks of octane booster and that was in my coat pocket the whole time, and it's not like I can just steamclean the interior because this stuff is a hydrocarbon so water wont dissolve it.

Anyone got a set of BE Legacy seats and carpets for sale?
Old 29 January 2008, 12:24 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
I've only had one leaking bottle and that was because the white plastic seal that sits inside the lid fell out while I was using the NF - I then replaced the lid without it in and when the bottle fell over onto its side, the NF started to leak out gradually; moral of story, check the NF cap to ensure seal is still there before you screw it back on

As for smell, I was lucky in that the leaking NF was over the rear mat, which promptly went into the washing machine.
Wow. I've never replaced the white seal and they've never leaked.