ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Move to VX220T`

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2008, 11:00 AM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move to VX220T`

Has anyone made the move from a scoob to a VX220 Turbo?

Its time for a new car, i've got a WRX PPP at the moment and i'm considering either an 03/04 STI or also a VXT. I've read on the VX forums stories about scary handling and lift-off oversteer. Has anyone made the move or driven one of these on the road - how jittery is the handling bearing in mind you can throw a scoob about quite happily in the wet or dry

Cheers. Nick
Old 28 January 2008, 12:51 PM
NISFAN
Scooby Regular

Not owned a VX220T. But having driven one briefly, and driven a few Lotus Elises over the years, they are a different animal to a scoob. Much less forgiving, but then that is part of the fun (the term throw you used and VX220/Elise do not go well together).

Handling - On wet and greasy roads, they are bordering on lethal. They have relatively wide tyres on the rear, which means when they let go, they let go big style, with almost no warning. They also aquaplane quite badly, and do not suffer fools driving them (snatchy braking or mid corner lift offs). The VX has quite skinny fronts, which give it a lot more understeer than you get in a Lotus. That's Vauxhall's safety factor I suppose. But are light and nimble, and feel quite racy for a relatively low powered car.

For me they are no more practical than owning a superbike (dry weather, no luggage capacity, nightmare on long distances, too loud to listen to the stereo, etc), so I prefer my 03 STi. Let's face it britain's conditions are more WRC than than WSB.

Best advice is to take one on a test drive to decide if it is for you or not. they are a blast.
Old 28 January 2008, 01:02 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

An old school pal of mine had one for a year!

He said it was **** and cold in the winter and too hot in the summer!

Also said it needed alot of thought to drive, i.e you cant just floor it like a scoob!

PLus points were speed, looks and handling but he put on 19's and did the suspension!

Debadge it, put an exhaust and wheels on it and they are ok, standard ones not so good!
Old 28 January 2008, 01:02 PM
VXhalo
Scooby Regular

Default VX220 turbo

Hello mate

I owned a vx220t for 2 years before I got the subaru back in oct 2007

And if i'm honest it is twice the car in my opinion.

I'm no great driver but the handling is superb and acceleration is awesome,

The problem is living it through winter/autumn (as said) i was always paranoid of wrecking the thing in wet/icey weather. And its pretty uncomfortable getting in and out everyday. Reliablility wise is was pretty bad. My impreza has not had a single problem since i got it (touch wood) and is much easier to live with from day to day.

Though when is sun is shining i dont thing there is much out there for the money to put such a big smile on your face.

If you have any questions feel free to PM

Cheers vxhalo (its where my name comes from)
Old 28 January 2008, 01:55 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, i'm definately going to have to take one out for a test drive.

The +'s for me at the moment is that i work from home so its mainly for the gym, Tesco's and the weekend - so its going to be a hoot when the weather is fine and Summers coming up too.

I suppose I can always look at something else for the winter when it comes next year round

I'm just a little bit worried that i've never driven a powerful RWD car before - ive had the scoob's rear end out a few times but its probably nothing like the snappyness of a VXT.

I like to think I can control a car - but will have to take it easy when i get one, or if a good STI comes up then i'll have to rethink

Cheers guys
Old 28 January 2008, 06:16 PM
VXhalo
Scooby Regular

Default VX220t

Nick

there not that bad

I too done alot of research into them before i bought and when i got it was no where near as snappy as others made out.

Though when provocked it can (serious welly with erratic steering) kick the back end out.

Just be careful in wet/icey weather but this can be said for all cars

If you are looking for an STI then i'd be interested in selling mine though not actively advertising.

Cheers
Old 28 January 2008, 06:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I "chased" a VX last summer and he didn't seem best pleased at getting caught.
His driving became a bit dangerous, so I let him pull a few lengths ahead, he was overtaking blind into corners.... was a bit silly !

Seemed very planted to me, and quite quick top end as well.

I'm too old to suffer getting into one on a daily basis tho' LOL

DunxC

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2008, 09:14 PM
easyscoob
Scooby Regular

aye! it will get your heart going in the wet. your legs will shake and you'll enjoy life a whole lot more. In the dry awesome. once you get used to it stepping the tail out coming out of roundabouts etc is quite good fun you will see what i mean if you buy one takes a month or two to get used to it. knowing when to let off to prokove a rear end reaction and coming on again to play. It does get mighty boring climbing out of the thing, almost annoying. im not exactly fat (12st @ 5 " 11) and can remember some poeple laughin when i tried to pull my way out at a petrol station. my advice is buy one and get it out your system then come august come back to scoobyland!
Old 28 January 2008, 09:42 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look at this and have a chat with the guys down at Adrenaline before you commit to buy...
Adrenaline Motor Sport. Creators of Subaru Impreza based sportscars
Old 28 January 2008, 09:52 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by easyscoob
aye! it will get your heart going in the wet. your legs will shake and you'll enjoy life a whole lot more. In the dry awesome. once you get used to it stepping the tail out coming out of roundabouts etc is quite good fun you will see what i mean if you buy one takes a month or two to get used to it. knowing when to let off to prokove a rear end reaction and coming on again to play. It does get mighty boring climbing out of the thing, almost annoying. im not exactly fat (12st @ 5 " 11) and can remember some poeple laughin when i tried to pull my way out at a petrol station. my advice is buy one and get it out your system then come august come back to scoobyland!
I think from what people have said i'm going to take the plunge, ive got about 13-14k more or less to spend so i'm hoping i can get low mile 03/04 plate. I've had a play in a Caterham 7 before at Brands Hatch and it was a hoot, its going to be quite different on the roads though - i suppose once you get used to it you can definitely have some fun and Summers coming up too. You may find me back in the autumn in an Sti too