ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

breather pipe on Master Cylinder ??

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2008, 12:25 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breather pipe on Brake Servo??

what is the pipe running from the Brake Servo to the inlet manifold....is it simply a breather pipe???

if so can it be vented to atmos from the master cylinder, or just blanked off ??

Cheers
Chris. (trying to tidy up my engine bay )

Last edited by minty; 29 January 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 28 January 2008, 12:32 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

thats the vacumn pipe for your servo assisted braking,do not remove or blank it off
Old 28 January 2008, 12:39 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

OK

i just wondered also if i rotate the inlet manifold could i shorten the pipe to connect it to the inlet manifold once rotated.

Cheers
Chris.
Old 29 January 2008, 02:22 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Minty,

When I reversed my inlet I removed the vac pipe that runs from the passenger side of the inlet manifold (when its in its normal position) across the bulkhead and onto the brake cylinder.

I now use a piece of braided hose from the same take off from the inlet manifold (now on the drivers side) and run to the master cylinder. (see pic)

Whatever you do don't remove this pipe or block it off or you'll have no brakes!!!!

Old 29 January 2008, 06:39 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Just to add, it doesn't go to your master cylinder at all (thats the bit sticking out, made of ally) but to the servo its mounted on. Not meaning to be rude, but can I suggest you improve your general car knowledge before embarking on any modifying!

If you shorten it make sure you keep the one way valve (not sure where its located from memory and my cars not outside right now!)

Simon
Old 29 January 2008, 09:39 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

i meant servo...i do know the difference it was early hours so excuse me for a small mistake.

Anyway people knew what i meant.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:18 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Cheers Daz by the way
Old 29 January 2008, 03:52 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Just to add, it doesn't go to your master cylinder at all (thats the bit sticking out, made of ally) but to the servo its mounted on. Not meaning to be rude, but can I suggest you improve your general car knowledge before embarking on any modifying!

If you shorten it make sure you keep the one way valve (not sure where its located from memory and my cars not outside right now!)

Simon

Sorry mate but I think you're talking crap and being slightly rude.

When I started mine I had no mechanical experience whatsoever. I bought a £5 workshop manual on CD from ebay and £300 worth of tools from Halfords.

I now have a reliable 500bhp 6 speed roll caged classic !!!

The only thing I havent done myself was the mapping!!

Just because he hasnt been doing it for years doesn't mean he shouldnt be having a go himself!!!

and Minty, you're welcome mate
Old 29 January 2008, 04:04 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Cheers daz

i am getting there, i'm in Computers by day and moonlighting as a mechanic on my car by night

I've just removed a blown engine from the 98 WRX and then dropped in an engine from a 96 RA and then re-used all of the inlet manifold bits etc. from the 98WRX to get her back up and running. and she started 1st time

A new clutch, flywheel Turbo, front mount (in the process) etc. and all of it with great help and knowledge taken from this site and 22b.

I'd just like to say a huge thanks to everyone who answers the questions that help me get over problems and to the threads on here that help me to do stuff to. I'm getting there slowly following you daz, fair play to your achievements & your car.

I see you posting a lot Daz and it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers again
Chris.
Old 29 January 2008, 05:00 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

As long as you are sure about what your doing then i don't see any problem in trying things yourself. There is no such thing as a stupid question If you don't know ask, like the OP did... Stupid would be not finding out what the vacume pipe was and just blanking it off anyhow.

This would be a hard lesson to learn at the first bend of course
Old 29 January 2008, 05:24 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Soon to be in the same boat mate.

Ironically I too am an I.T. nerd lol

I've just bought a Type R shell complete with DccD and rear diff etc. I'm going to be attempting putting my engine (STI V5 ish) into a 97 shell.

Now I know the wiring loom and everything is different so I'm looking at getting a ver 3 manifold and loom and pairing that to my STI heads.

The head bolt patterns are different so manifold adaptors are required and then ontop of all that I have to widen the manfold by about 15mm.

I would go for the swap the dash and looms out of the Ver5 car thus getting rid of the problem but I actually prefer the V3 dash to the V5 one.

As soon as I take delivery of the shell I'll be doing a very detailed project thread on it.

Also minty I'm thinking of the wide arch kit. I notice that you have one on yours.
Please please please could you tell me the size of the wheels you used ET, Offset etc and what size spacers you used if any.

I want to do this but only if I can get it to look right. I'd hate for the arches to overhang the wheels.

Cheers

Daz
Old 08 February 2008, 02:25 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

HI Daz,

sorry i havent replied yet, i'll get you some pics and a few figures over this weekend hopefully for you.

Cheers
Chris.