remap query

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2008, 03:42 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remap query

Hi there,

Did a bit of a reading around sn, and it seems that a remap is just what I'd need to get some extra power on my car. I have a my05 sti PPP, and I'm pretty sure is not hitting the claimed 305 ps(maybe just unlucky, anyway). Car goes still pretty well, no issues whatsoever. From what I read about, a remap by Bob is what I need, with colder plugs and sti panel filter potentially, and that would get me near the 340 bhp and 330 lbft ?

I've been wondering about reliability also: currently I can't use optimax as there is none around here, bp ultima is next best thing(97-98 ron) but sometimes I'm forced to use 95. Now I know PPP has some built in safety so that it will protect the engine if I use this low quality fuel, but how about this if I got a remap ?
Also I read that the ecu can retain 2 maps, and it is possible for me to change the maps via a button. Is this true ? as then I could keep the ppp map also and if I have to use bad fuel I just swich to that map ?

Now in order to decide to do this or not I really need to know about reliability, as I tend to drive a lot and long distances at very high speed(over 200 kph on autobahn) and I don't want to risk an engine crash.

Appreciate any advice

B.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:50 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If your using ultimate, no wonder its flat, everyone who has tried it alongside a decent super (such as one from a supermarket!) reckons its no better than 95 (based on knocklink or Apexi recorded knock).....perhaps try some better super first...

A remap will gain a bit, but if your stuk with rubbish fuel, its probably not worth the hassle and cost!

You can have duel maps with a switch input (heated rear window is common).

Simon
Old 29 January 2008, 08:56 AM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

got exactly the same car and running at 345bhp, 320lbs of torque. have 2 uprate the fuel pump and maybe a de-cat would help but the prodrive already has a high flow cat.. not sure if they work but halfords and such places do fuel aditives 2 up the octane rating. maybe that would be worth a go also. if you have a bob rawle re-map you should expect the same kind of figures
Old 29 January 2008, 09:27 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the answers.

So duel map is possible, that is cool
Was thinking of trying some octane booster, but I'm afraid it will damage the cat ?

Regarding the fuels, I had the chance to put in sometimes optimax(for like 2-3 days) and the car did feel a bit more powerful, but honestly the difference was really small. I also find this strange, as with my previous car, a bug wrx, the difference was huge. However if I do put in 95, it does go quite a lot worse, and pops and bang a lot and consumption goes really up. I tried other 98 octanes(esso, total) but they were actually worse than the ultima.

But how about reliability ? would I be risking engine damage if I had a remap an than driving for hours at high rpm ?

Very nice figures toyney83, that is smth I'd like too.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:35 AM
New_scooby_04

If you spend a lot of time going over three figures (in mph) then it may be worth considering a FMIC and remap, the Std TMIC is less efficient at sustained high speeds.

Have a word with your mapper and see what they think.

Ns04
Old 29 January 2008, 11:49 AM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maci
Thanks for the answers.

So duel map is possible, that is cool
Was thinking of trying some octane booster, but I'm afraid it will damage the cat ?

Regarding the fuels, I had the chance to put in sometimes optimax(for like 2-3 days) and the car did feel a bit more powerful, but honestly the difference was really small. I also find this strange, as with my previous car, a bug wrx, the difference was huge. However if I do put in 95, it does go quite a lot worse, and pops and bang a lot and consumption goes really up. I tried other 98 octanes(esso, total) but they were actually worse than the ultima.

But how about reliability ? would I be risking engine damage if I had a remap an than driving for hours at high rpm ?

Very nice figures toyney83, that is smth I'd like too.
if anything its more reliable now, runs alot sweeter and better on fuel. should save a few pennys 4 new shocks tho, apparently a common problem... mine went the other week so just had the ast's fitted all round. what a difference tht makes
Old 29 January 2008, 11:51 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It's not dual maps, it's just a restricted, lower boost setting and full boost.

I would get some octane booster personally if absolutely forced to use 95 and drive off boost. The car is mapped for the fuel that is in and you regulary use. If the fuel quality will be variable, i'm sure the map will be a lot more reserved.

For reliability, mine has been perfect, which has been taken quite a bit further than your planned route. It's all down to the map.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:52 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
If you spend a lot of time going over three figures (in mph) then it may be worth considering a FMIC and remap, the Std TMIC is less efficient at sustained high speeds.

Have a word with your mapper and see what they think.

Ns04
Bang your head this morning NS?

Not on a MY05. The TMIC is proven to be very efficient over 400bhp. If it wasn't, do you think AF would be running it on his 480/550??

Maci, you don't need a FMIC.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:58 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

you've gotta pass a tesco ....fk me they are everywhere and their fuel is 99 . Seems just as good as Vpower to me. I have been *cough Cough* running mine in, so been filling up almost every day, 2 days vpower, 2 days tesco no difference imho.

Search for fuel information on here there's loads (inc info on octane boosters).
Old 29 January 2008, 02:05 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

ok, thx for all the info. Will run a search on octane boosters, and have a chat with a mapper
Old 29 January 2008, 02:09 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

ok, thx for all the info. Will run a search on octane boosters, and have a chat with a mapper
honestly no tescos near you ????
Old 29 January 2008, 02:16 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Bang your head this morning NS?

Not on a MY05. The TMIC is proven to be very efficient over 400bhp. If it wasn't, do you think AF would be running it on his 480/550??

Maci, you don't need a FMIC.
Gaz, only lightly!

If the TMIC works so well with the 05's aerodynamics then why did subaru significantly redesign the bonnet for hawkeye?

No doubt the TMIC works very well at much higher power for bursts of power and normal UK road use or, as you say, cars like the type 25 woudn't use it.

Personally I still reckon its in the wrong place and isn't optimal for sustained high speeds. Normally, I'd completely agree that an FMIC would be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist on UK roads BUT the poster has specifically said he likes to travel at 3 figures for extended periods, so it might make more sense in their case.

I did say he should have a word with the mapper and see what they think. They may say I'm talking b*llocks!

PS I'm putting my money where my mouth is soon and geting a hybrid for my Classic, rather than the STi 8 intercooler and upgrade, will get back to you with the results!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 29 January 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 29 January 2008, 03:00 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Additonally a map will take account of the fuel available to you. If you wanted it mapped just for 95 you could (in theory) have that done.

5t.
Old 29 January 2008, 03:03 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

speaking to JGM you could then have this switched so 95 run then switch to 99 as and when available !!!
Old 29 January 2008, 03:17 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
honestly no tescos near you ????
nope
Old 29 January 2008, 03:22 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Gaz, only lightly!

If the TMIC works so well with the 05's aerodynamics then why did subaru significantly redesign the bonnet for hawkeye?

No doubt the TMIC works very well at much higher power for bursts of power and normal UK road use or, as you say, cars like the type 25 woudn't use it.

Personally I still reckon its in the wrong place and isn't optimal for sustained high speeds. Normally, I'd completely agree that an FMIC would be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist on UK roads BUT the poster has specifically said he likes to travel at 3 figures for extended periods, so it might make more sense in their case.

I did say he should have a word with the mapper and see what they think. They may say I'm talking b*llocks!

PS I'm putting my money where my mouth is soon and geting a hybrid for my Classic, rather than the STi 8 intercooler and upgrade, will get back to you with the results!
indeed, long travels with 3 figures fimic is an idea I was toying with, but I think for the power level I aim shouldn't be necesary. That said, I will defo ask the mapper. Safety is first on my list, and I better just keep the ppp if I can't safely enjoy high speeding
Old 29 January 2008, 03:27 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

speaking to JGM you could then have this switched so 95 run then switch to 99 as and when available !!!
yeap, that is good that is possible. Normally I can get 97/98 ron but not better, and occasionally only 95(not very often so no need for remap for 95)

Now I have enough info to start bombing my mapper with questions
Old 29 January 2008, 04:35 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

indeed, long travels with 3 figures fimic is an idea I was toying with, but I think for the power level I aim shouldn't be necesary. That said, I will defo ask the mapper. Safety is first on my list, and I better just keep the ppp if I can't safely enjoy high speeding
If you're contemplating a FMIC, then an APS is the only way forward. Factor in 20kgs bolted to the front of your car and £1000 in the bank. Plus i don't know the lag implications. Would the VF35 flow well into one of those monsters? Doubt it. If you like instant throttle response, keep the TMIC.

I agree with NS in that it's probably in the wrong place, but a FMIC isn't as necessary as some people say. You're mapper of choice will be more than willing to discuss all with you.

A remap on an STi PPP will be very reliable. It will basically give you around 320-330bhp. Well within the limits of everything.

Respectable tuners offer warranty on their packages at that level of tune. I doubt they would if any number went pop.
Old 29 January 2008, 04:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I don't quite understand what you're saying?

You saying you can get a dual map for different fuel on an ECUTEK remap (UK Blobeye)??
Old 29 January 2008, 04:42 PM
New_scooby_04

If you're contemplating a FMIC, then an APS is the only way forward. Factor in 20kgs bolted to the front of your car and £1000 in the bank. Plus i don't know the lag implications. Would the VF35 flow well into one of those monsters? Doubt it. If you like instant throttle response, keep the TMIC.

Gaz,

I'll let you know soon mate. I'm getting my VF35'd UK classic FMIC'd soon and mapped by the wizzard Bob! He's advised that it would be a good mod, release more power and torque, keep temps completely under control and any increase in lag will only be evident in gear changes and then only very minor. I also get to remove the Dump valve and make my car sound like a "Squirrel mincer" as J Clarkson put it!

Ps I'm going for a hybrid! APS too rich for moi!!
Old 29 January 2008, 04:47 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Will be interesting to hear your comments; FMIC and no D/V wander how that drives...

Aye. Gear changes from what i've read. Are your temps already too high with your normal driving?

Will the VF handle the "wastegate chatter"

I've fancied blocking the DV myself.

The hybrids apparently work OK on the classics, just fit sh!te on the newage.
Old 29 January 2008, 05:01 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I don't quite understand what you're saying?

You saying you can get a dual map for different fuel on an ECUTEK remap (UK Blobeye)??
I think that is what I'm saying .....

basically lower setting when 95 is in the tank I thought, switchable at will.
Old 29 January 2008, 05:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Well from what i've been told there is no current dual swicthable map on a UK blob ECUTEK. Standalone ECUs, yes.

I think you're referring to the low/high boost toggle switch.

Even with that. I wouldn't be happy in low boost caning it on 95 fuel. It's still giving (0.8bar).
Old 29 January 2008, 05:10 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Well from what i've been told there is no current dual swicthable map on a UK blob ECUTEK. Standalone ECUs, yes.

Even with that. I wouldn't be happy in low boost caning it on 95 fuel. It's still giving (0.8bar).
I all fairness I was talking (to JGM) about hawks ... not that I know if that makes any difference !!
Old 29 January 2008, 05:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I have the dual/switchable map in mine and i asked Andy F about fuel when i had it done just in case it makes a difference or would cause problems if i was stuck in the middle of nowhere and the only Shell station was out of VPower.

He said 95 fuel will cause the car to retard the ignition almost immediately and it will take an age to 're-learn' or trust the fuel again on whichever map happens to be in use at the time.

However the ecu wouldn't know which map it was running so filling up with 95 and running on the low boost setting would only affect that map. Next time out i could put in VPower and the high boost map would be unaffected and not take the two or three tankfuls to advance the ignition it normally would.

Personally i see no problem with calling it a high and low boost map, makes it easy for people to understand.

5t.
Old 29 January 2008, 05:33 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
He said 95 fuel will cause the car to retard the ignition almost immediately and it will take an age to 're-learn' or trust the fuel again on whichever map happens to be in use at the time.
So that's the high map fooked then.

OK, here's a curveball. As the PPP says 98 RON to be used (is it 98 or 97, my standard EU STi says 98 on the cap).....Surely your warranty would be shafted if anything went wrong with the PPP whilst running on 95 or even proved to be ran on 95.

I dunno. I just wouldn't put that sh!te in the car full stop. I'd rather get low on fuel, call a fookin taxi to take me to the nearest shell.
Old 29 January 2008, 09:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is what can be done with a standard ppp sti 05..

The EcuTek dual map is purely switching.. the lower boost setting can be mapped on 95ron and the higher boost setting on 99ron etc..
the actual map used will be the same on each settings but the lower area of the map used on full throttle on the lower boost setting would be tuned for 95ron fuel.

This assumes there is no boost creap.. ie. we set it to run 1bar as the lower 95ron boost and it creaps at higher rpm to higher boost than that.. does happen on a fair few of the standard sti's, but can be resolved with simple wastegate porting.

Simon
Old 30 January 2008, 11:00 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
here is what can be done with a standard ppp sti 05..

The EcuTek dual map is purely switching.. the lower boost setting can be mapped on 95ron and the higher boost setting on 99ron etc..
the actual map used will be the same on each settings but the lower area of the map used on full throttle on the lower boost setting would be tuned for 95ron fuel.

This assumes there is no boost creap.. ie. we set it to run 1bar as the lower 95ron boost and it creaps at higher rpm to higher boost than that.. does happen on a fair few of the standard sti's, but can be resolved with simple wastegate porting.

Simon
How does that work then? You go to mapper with 95 ron fuel in the car, map for the low boost settings. Then run a few 99 ron tanks and go back to mapper for high boost settings?

From the sounds of it, it still doesn't sound like a duel map perse. Just switchable boost settings on the same map. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 30 January 2008, 11:08 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does that work then? You go to mapper with 95 ron fuel in the car, map for the low boost settings. Then run a few 99 ron tanks and go back to mapper for high boost settings?

From the sounds of it, it still doesn't sound like a duel map perse. Just switchable boost settings on the same map. Correct me if i'm wrong.
that is one way to do it yes

no you are correct.. it just switches boost level

Simon