Rust Removal advice

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2008, 02:07 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Removal advice

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place (mods please move if not) but my UK turbo is suffering from rust bubbles around the front windscreen. Only 3 bits and they are not huge but they are annoying and bothering me!!

The windscreen had been replaced at some point (before my purchase and I should have noticed this when buying but now I know they're there!) and I can only assume that the fitter scratched the paintwork while doing it!

The rust is on the roof and not on the pillars.

What is the best way to remove this? Should I do it myself or does anyone know a company that specializes in this type of thing a bit like chips away do to dents?!

How would you guys go about fixing this little issue?
Old 29 January 2008, 03:56 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simog
Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place (mods please move if not) but my UK turbo is suffering from rust bubbles around the front windscreen. Only 3 bits and they are not huge but they are annoying and bothering me!!

The windscreen had been replaced at some point (before my purchase and I should have noticed this when buying but now I know they're there!) and I can only assume that the fitter scratched the paintwork while doing it!

The rust is on the roof and not on the pillars.

What is the best way to remove this? Should I do it myself or does anyone know a company that specializes in this type of thing a bit like chips away do to dents?!

How would you guys go about fixing this little issue?
to start the screen would need to come back out so metal underneath can be done at same time,otherwise you could get the rust done and it would come back again.
personally speaking i would get it in to a decent bodyshop to be repaired.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:20 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see you have a 98model? how long is the perforation warranty on scoobs (10 years?)
might be worth popping to the dealers to see if it's covered by warranty - worth a try
Old 30 January 2008, 09:34 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Might well give that a go, although the previous owner didn't keep up with the bodywork services...do you think that might have an impact on any possible warrenty?
Old 02 February 2008, 09:13 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simog
Might well give that a go, although the previous owner didn't keep up with the bodywork services...do you think that might have an impact on any possible warrenty?
i seriously doubt subaru would repair under warranty for 2 reasons.

1 body checks not up to date

2 car had new screen fitted and the fitter probably damaged paint under the glass,so not a defect with the car.

but as you say might as well give it a go, if you dont ask you dont get i suppose
Old 02 February 2008, 10:26 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Not a hope in hell that Subaru will cough up. Reason they give corrosion warranties so long is that they know the vast majority of owners wont keep up the required bodywork checks.