ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

advice on getting a front mounted intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 11:26 AM
nathanw1983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on getting a front mounted intercooler

New on this site bought a 1995 wrx bout 3 weeks ago my first subaru been looking on ebay at front mounted intercoolers only £200 brand new seems cheap, worth getting? and how much power difference will adding one make? Also the air fillter has been changed but is still in the air box is it worth buying a big induction kit and leaving it outside the air box?

Last edited by nathanw1983; 21 February 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:40 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

ok mate

imo leavt the cheap copies from ebay alone, there are plenty of decent budget makes out there, one of the common ones is the HYBRID ones GT spec or GT MONSTER (i think its called) they can be had for around 350 quid. from speaking with mappers and specalists these are a very good budget range fmic

as for the induction kit as far as i am aware that if you are going for a fmic then you will need to ditch the box as it normaly gets in the way of the pipe work that comes up via the drivers wing so if you go down the fm route you will need to get a induction kit and im o i recommend a k&n kit they seem to be the common choice and are maf friendly('er) than foam kits etc.

depends on what you want from the car and as far as i rememebr the std sti top mount from a ver5 is good to hold out for 340 ish bhp so if you are not intending going ove that then the sti top mount can be had for less than a fmic. also scoobyclinic i think and a few others do a uprated top mount too.

have a search on here and speak to a couple of companies such as scoobyclinic, api, subary4you they will give you some good advice.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:45 AM
Steve169
Scooby Regular

I thought the autobahn 888 ones had got a reasonable enough rep ?
Old 21 February 2008, 11:50 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hybrid FMICs are known to be one of the best intercoolers available the sensible side of £1000.

Doing a special on them at the moment. £299 for the whole kit (GT Spec)!

Hybrid FMIC Kits - Subaru Impreza - best prices

In stock for next day delivery
Old 21 February 2008, 12:10 PM
nathanw1983
Scooby Newbie

Thank for the info dont mind spending the money i think its well worth it, but is there a cheaper or quicker way of getting some noticable power.
Thought the price of the intercoolers was a bit cheap.
When i bought the car the guy told me it has a td05 bigger turbo and it has been superchipped and is around 335 bph do you know anything about these turbo's or a superchips. Im going to get it tested on a rolling road asap see if the bph is realy 335 and to see waht they think or recamend i do, are you or what mods are you thinking of or going to make to yours? very nice p1 mate mint looks imaculate

Last edited by nathanw1983; 21 February 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 21 February 2008, 03:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by nathanw1983
Thank for the info dont mind spending the money i think its well worth it, but is there a cheaper or quicker way of getting some noticable power.
Thought the price of the intercoolers was a bit cheap.
When i bought the car the guy told me it has a td05 bigger turbo and it has been superchipped and is around 335 bph do you know anything about these turbo's or a superchips. Im going to get it tested on a rolling road asap see if the bph is realy 335 and to see waht they think or recamend i do, are you or what mods are you thinking of or going to make to yours? very nice p1 mate mint looks imaculate
Superchips are bad news mate. You'll want to get rid of this before toying with the idea of an FMIC; it could cost you an engine. Unfortunately, as your car is pre 99 it can't be ecutek'd i.e. a custom remap using the OE ECU. There are other options though, much better and safer than superchip.

Suggest you speak to someone like Jolly Green Monster, or another one of the very many reputable mappers on here.

335bhp would not be safe on the std intercooler of a MY95 too!! I would suggest that the person who sold you this car is either a) full of s*it! and you're not running anything like that power b) wasn't completely aware of what they were doing modification wise and has sold you a car with a far from optimal set up!

ns04
Old 21 February 2008, 03:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Yep as above, you wouldnt get that power with the injectors you will probaby have unless you have a adjustable fuel regulator as well. Superchips is not a safe way of gaining more power on a scoob, it changes the fuel cut limit and thats about it. Allows you to run more boost but the fuelling is not right so can cause long term damage.

A fmic is going to be of no benefit unless you change the ecu, on its own it will not gain you power, in fact is may lose you some power. It will prevent heat soak but thats about it. It will also possibly make the car feel slower due to the lag (the compressed air is going to take longer to get into the engine). If you get a fmic you will also need to do something with regards the dump valve so if you run the standard recirc then you will probably need to change it for a blow off type.