Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 01:47 PM
ScoobyGer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Scoob WRX

Hey,

As you may be able to tell from my previous posts im looking for my first scoob

Is there much of a difference in BHP between 1994 models and say 97 models wrx. Also what do you guys think of this example? Good and bad points welcome especially regarding any obvious engine points etc

Welcome to Jap Performance UK

Thanks as always guys
Old 26 February 2008, 01:56 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The earlier ones are 240ps, later 260ps and last wrxs were 280ps (approx 236bhp, 256bhp and 276bhp).

Ok had this wrong, just edited it:

pre Sep 94 - 236
Sep 94 to Aug 96 - 256
Sep 96 to '00 - 276.

That example looks ok - could be 260bhp as standard if its a late 94 model.

For that money though, you could easily get a facelift model which look better on the outside and have much much better interiors.

My W-Reg UK Turbo is running 273bhp, and is probably worth £4k as its done 103k.

<------------click on my 'Plus Profile' to have a look at the facelifts.

Why do you particularly want a WRX?

Last edited by StiX; 26 February 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 26 February 2008, 02:04 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sept 94 is when the 260ps model was introduced.

How much do you have to spend?
Old 26 February 2008, 03:59 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

That is the 260 ps model as it has the grey/black seats and the electric aerial on the passenger side rear quarter.

Engine looks completely standard and looks from the pictures to be a very nice example.

This is not a dig at the poster above, but I dont understand why people continue to advise you to get a uk car. If you want a WRX, there are literally thousands of perfectly nice imports out there if you know what to look for.

A lot of people seem to assume thay are all clocked and crashed, but there are plenty of reputable importers who took and continue to take in well looked after cars. Good ones will also have better bodywork than uk cars due to Japan having less sh!te on their roads.
Old 26 February 2008, 04:05 PM
ScoobyGer
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys

can anyone explain what 260 ps model actually means?

Im new to all of this
Old 26 February 2008, 04:13 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

It means 256 bhp, which were made from late 1994-96. I agree it would be worth trying to get a facelift (late 1996 - 2000) car on your budget.
Old 26 February 2008, 04:20 PM
ScoobyGer
Scooby Regular

cool,

thanks for all your help
Old 26 February 2008, 04:36 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
That is the 260 ps model as it has the grey/black seats and the electric aerial on the passenger side rear quarter.

Engine looks completely standard and looks from the pictures to be a very nice example.

This is not a dig at the poster above, but I dont understand why people continue to advise you to get a uk car. If you want a WRX, there are literally thousands of perfectly nice imports out there if you know what to look for.

A lot of people seem to assume thay are all clocked and crashed, but there are plenty of reputable importers who took and continue to take in well looked after cars. Good ones will also have better bodywork than uk cars due to Japan having less sh!te on their roads
I've had this totally standard 95 WRX for nearly 2 years with minimal maintenance costs. I have it serviced at Scoobyclinic, new cambelt when I first got it (I live in Chesterfield near Scoobyclinic ).

Anyway, at the risk of being flamed....Don't the WRX's have a bit more luxury inside. I've seen uk Scoobs..no recaro seats, no aircon, no skirts and I thought the WRX had a different ECU (Z4) which gives it a bit more umph compared to the equivalent uk car.

I know when I was looking I wanted an import.

Old 26 February 2008, 06:08 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JDM normally came with air con better interior (apart from the dash which is poor in both UK and JDM imo).

The Z4 ecu map found in the 260ps models was used as a basis for the PPP on UK cars.

the argument between UK spec vs JDM spec is quite hard as it's upto the individual person (plus with JDM you can get STI or WRX so even more choice)
Old 26 February 2008, 06:17 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

what bhp is a 1998 uk model? a prodrive one...
Old 26 February 2008, 07:05 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by sarnyboy
what bhp is a 1998 uk model? a prodrive one...
Standard 208 bhp. With PPP about 240 bhp.
Old 26 February 2008, 07:15 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by rossyboy

A lot of people seem to assume thay are all clocked and crashed, but there are plenty of reputable importers who took and continue to take in well looked after cars. Good ones will also have better bodywork than uk cars due to Japan having less sh!te on their roads.
I have had a '95 WRX, and now have a '00 Uk Turbo.

The reason I mentioned for the money he could get a facelifted newer car, as I know how much mine is worth (£4kish) - and having owned both I would advise him to go for a 00 instead of a 94!!

I know the reasons for and against both - I have had both.

The other point is that a late WRX is a lot rarer, and worth more than an equivalent UK Turbo.

As he was asking us to look at a car valued @ 5k, he can get a very late UK classic for that - or a 94 WRX?

Wasn't meant to be a JDM bash at all, and having owned a '95 WRX with the grey/black seats I should have noticed that it was indeed a 260ps model
Old 26 February 2008, 07:21 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
JDM normally came with air con better interior (apart from the dash which is poor in both UK and JDM imo).

The Z4 ecu map found in the 260ps models was used as a basis for the PPP on UK cars.

the argument between UK spec vs JDM spec is quite hard as it's upto the individual person (plus with JDM you can get STI or WRX so even more choice)
I also agree with your point that for equivalent years (94/95etc.) then the imports had a better spec.

However for later year classics there is not so much difference. As you say, comes down to individual preference - performance vs insurance, service history etc.

There seem to be so many more UK cars of 99/00 than WRXs of the same years, lots of V5/V6 STis though - but you pay a big premium for them. If I changed mine, I would get another classic and would seriously think which model:

P1/RB5/STi 5/STi Type R ????