ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Petrol Prices!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2008, 11:42 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol Prices!!!!

Had this e-mail today about fighting the rising costs of petrol, thought it may be of interest:

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it.

We are hitting106.9p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1.10a ltr.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join in!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by notpurchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:
For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.
If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!
Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send itto at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..
THREE HUNDRED MILLIONPEOPLE!!!
Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE
RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e.boycott BP and Esso
Old 27 February 2008, 11:43 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

not this bollox again
Old 27 February 2008, 11:51 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I was 18 when this trash was circulated, I'm now 28 :
Old 27 February 2008, 11:51 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
not this bollox again
In theory it makes sense to me, Shell made profits of £13.6bn (not sure about ESSO/BP) if there making that much profit they can afford to reduce the cost of petrol.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:54 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Really makes no difference to me, just thought it may of interest to some people. I only use Shell or Tesco anyway
Old 27 February 2008, 11:55 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

petrol stations make about 6p in every pound of petrol the rest goes to the government its not the petrol stations fault.This type of thread has been posted every time petrol prices rise.There is nothing you,me or anyone else can do about it.The motorist is the easy target and will continue to be for the forseeable future
Old 27 February 2008, 11:58 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

petrol stations make about 6p in every pound of petrol the rest goes to the government its not the petrol stations fault.This type of thread has been posted every time petrol prices rise.There is nothing you,me or anyone else can do about it.The motorist is the easy target and will continue to be for the forseeable future
Isn't that the actual petrol stations and not the oil company???

Could always Immigrate
Old 28 February 2008, 12:07 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
In theory it makes sense to me, Shell made profits of £13.6bn (not sure about ESSO/BP) if there making that much profit they can afford to reduce the cost of petrol.
ESSO's revenue for 2007 was £178 billion odd. So in my books 7.5% (£13.5 billion odd) profit is reasonable.

Before anyone say’s it. I'm against the high fuel prices but price increase is inevitable with dwindling oil stocks.
Old 28 February 2008, 12:08 AM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

£106.9p where can i get some £1.10p hear
Old 28 February 2008, 12:19 AM
kyah710
Scooby Regular

Its about 1p a litre profit that a forecourt will make.

Be glad you aren't on the isle of wight - we pay 115.9 per litre for super unleaded and its only ****e 97ron as well.
Old 28 February 2008, 07:00 AM
martiboy
Scooby Regular

As far as i'm aware esso and bp are NOT one company and I do know that esso also supply petrol to the major supermarkets ie tesco,morrisons etc as well as their own forcourts.Esso also supply petrol to shell and vice versa so to be honest buying from one retailer wont work.You also have to remember that the petrol market is only a very small part of an oil companies revenue,they also make things like lpg,fuel for planes,heating oils bitumin for roads basically a very long list ! The real people we should be lobbying are the government,they take approx 70p in the pound in tax !!!!!!
Old 28 February 2008, 08:08 AM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Probs go up even further anyway as the price of a barrel of oil has tipped at $102.
Old 28 February 2008, 09:03 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Its never gonna get to 69p a litre is it when the tax on a litre is circa 65p. The goverment is to blame more than the oil companys, but how can you tell them what to do? Petrol is gonna go up and up. Make do or get the bus!
Old 28 February 2008, 09:19 AM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

But saying that super unleaded in Bridlington is 110.9 but in York its 105.9 so I know im proper getting ripped off.
Old 28 February 2008, 09:48 AM
jimmyv
Scooby Regular

Not that it will make a huge difference to peoples pockets but isnt there a website, which when you enter your postcde it shows all the petrol stations around and the price of petrol aswell, i know between our 3 local ones there is quite a discrepancy in price. May be worth a look for some.
Old 28 February 2008, 11:45 AM
KevPage
Scooby Regular

If you want petrol prices to be lowered you need to target the government and get the tax reduced, the only way to do this is to show the government that we are not happy and won't take anymore increases lying down.

My suggestion is to organises a meet with all car clubs accross the country and bring London, major cities or motorways to a stand still on a specific day.

What do people think???
Old 28 February 2008, 01:15 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KevPage
If you want petrol prices to be lowered you need to target the government and get the tax reduced, the only way to do this is to show the government that we are not happy and won't take anymore increases lying down.

My suggestion is to organises a meet with all car clubs accross the country and bring London, major cities or motorways to a stand still on a specific day.

What do people think???
i agree with Kevpage,

u think shell etc make alot??

only about 30p goes to shell bp etc.... call it 6p to the garage (some1 else stated above) and then the REST goes to the GOVERNMENT...

so just think for a sec.. if esso make £178 billion and if the gov are taking double that... where the hell is it going??? they cant tell me its gone back into the roads lol because the roads are c**p and they cant say that its been redirected the healthcare because; well we all know whats goin on there lol

i just dont see petrol going to 70p a litre again

how do things work in the us? thats what we should adopt here, there pay next to nothing for their petrol and every1s driving around in 5litre whatevas..
Old 28 February 2008, 01:57 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

all joking aside, petrol prices need to reduce, don't we pay more than everywhere else, most of it's tax which that **** primeminister needs to cut.!!!!
Old 28 February 2008, 03:27 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

the government are putting it up again in the budget aren't they, thats what they said last year so we are going to get shafted again, just for a change
Old 28 February 2008, 03:56 PM
KevPage
Scooby Regular

Its about time people stopped moaning and did something about it!

Of course they'll put duty up again because the government can.....because they know people will sit and moan a lot but do nothing!!!!!

I'd quite happily be the first driver to get arrested for stopping the traffic on the M25 if it meant fuel duty was slashed!!!!!!!
Old 28 February 2008, 03:59 PM
trigot33
Scooby Regular

Dwindling oil stocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont make me laugh. The reality is for those of you who follow politics to some degree is that we now control the second largest oil reserve in the world. Ok maybe america is the leader here but we walk shoulder to shoulder so i reckon we should benefit by some of that oil.

Secondly - No matter how much oil we have, the powers that be will squeeze every f*****G penny out of us citing the latest trend of green issues and the like. Finally , the oil companies, shell , bp etc give the government massive revenue to sqaunder like they do, so this is why they have free reign to charge us what they like and they bloody well do. In the broad scope of things, we are the pawns in all this.
Old 28 February 2008, 04:01 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I passed two fuel stations on the way to work today, they both want 112.9 per litre for Diesel how mad is that !
Old 28 February 2008, 07:16 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

the govt have cottoned onto the fact that a vast majority of the motoring public are ditching their petrol cars and going for the more economical diesels so they are upping the cost big time.Diesel used to be 10p cheaper than unleaded its now almost 15p/ltr more expensive in some places and will continue to rise all the time the british public let it
Old 28 February 2008, 07:17 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

f**king sick of the government,take tax off fuel and add it somewhere else..**** for example(even more).
Old 28 February 2008, 07:41 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lem6
f**king sick of the government,take tax off fuel and add it somewhere else..**** for example(even more).
lol hate to p*ss on ur fire there

gov was talking about plans to issue liscences to smoke already lol, proves as id at the same time and guess what?? it costs £10!!!!!

u can just see it, 2day it costs £10 to put a cig in ur own mouth... next year they jack it up to £20 (car tax!!!!) and the costs go on and on