Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

£2000 extra tax on new turbo Subarus ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2008, 07:45 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £2000 extra tax on new turbo Subarus ?

Alistair Darling to hit family cars with £2,000 tax - Times Online

Seems that Subaru dealers will be selling even fewer Band G cars (basically any petrol Subaru with a turbo on it) after the budget.
Old 09 March 2008, 08:31 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

yet another tax to put on the list............. did he say where the money was going by chance??????
Old 09 March 2008, 08:34 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

his pockets
Old 09 March 2008, 08:37 PM
WRX marv
Scooby Regular

can't we just storm the houses of paliment & burn these barstewards before they spoil every 1s enjoyment
Old 09 March 2008, 08:47 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I think that the Impreza STI diesel might be making an appearance rather sooner than expected. Talk about nick of time for Subaru. If this had happened last year when they had no diesel engine, sales would have slowed to a dribble. I still think they're going to suffer more than anyone else.
Old 09 March 2008, 08:53 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Just one more reason not to buy a brand new car!

I'll be alright, always buy mine a couple of years old anyway.

Having said that, it's another ridiculous tax, when can we vote this lot out?
Old 09 March 2008, 09:11 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Just one more reason not to buy a brand new car!

I'll be alright, always buy mine a couple of years old anyway.

Having said that, it's another ridiculous tax, when can we vote this lot out?
Just a thought, but this new tax will have exactly the same effect as an increase in VAT. Given that residuals are worked out using the VAT-inclusive list price it is reasonable to assume that they will now be calculated using the VAT+Green tax inclusive price. So, what I am explaining badly is that this tax will probably be passed on to the second owner and so will affect everyone in the long run. What percentage of the tax that is passed on is unknown, but you, and everyone else not driving a diesel or small petrol, are going to pay more.
Old 09 March 2008, 09:14 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

The sad thing is, these Politicians (there all the frigging same), is they have a delayed fuse.

The Papers go on about what is going to kick in about 6 - 9 months on the day.

When the delayed action kicks in, we all whinge about it and nothing changes.

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, THIS LOT ABSOLUTELY HATE US, THEY TAKE THE WEE WEE< THE REALITY IS, THEY ARE BANKING ON THE FACT WE WON'T BOTHER OUR BOTTIES TO VOTE!!

The only thing I can suggest is, we vote em out, in 2 years time.

But think about it>>>> what Will they have done to us by then??

I always quote this>>

My Granddad said to me, " In your lifetime, there will be a plot to get the ordinary man in the street priced out of owning a car. It will go back to my Granddad's time, when only the toffs could afford a Horse."

My Granddad was spot on.

Over to Scooby Netters.
Regards

Alan MaC
Old 09 March 2008, 09:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets face facts ..... we will all pay whatever it takes to run our choice of car - that choice happens to be a petrol drinking anti-social beast .... for that we need to pay heavily as no-one likes us!

I have forgotten how many people on here sit at home when it is voting day, saying pathetically "There's no point voting" but they still moan and whinge and blubber!

Now, I always vote - and I do NOT vote Tory ........ 2 Tories need to come out and vote to beat my vote - as long as they sit on their 4rse my party will win
Old 09 March 2008, 09:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When will this government stop.

Tax this, Tax that, their answer to everything. And I hate the way they say "Gas Guzzler" every ******* time too.

£50 they go ahead with the 2p tax rise on petrol too.

What we need is for the motor manufacturer's to stand up to this. They know having to slap £2000 onto the sticker price of a car is going to hit sales hard. They need to put presuer on the Government.

Labour vision of the future is to see British people driving around in Hybrids? What the **** are the rest of the world going to be driving around in? Not ******* Hybrids.

If we turned everything off tomorrow and went back to living in caves, it wouldn't make any difference at all. Why not Tax industry? They pollute more than anything. Why not? Because it's easier to tax you and me. ******* W*nkers

And the booze? Tax the majority to deter the minority. Although it won't, and they know this. All they want to to get as much money out of the British tax payer as humanly possible.
Old 09 March 2008, 10:47 PM
AER-SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

It's time to stand up and take action, as a nation we are being raped for hard earned!!!
Old 10 March 2008, 09:31 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

The only time things will change is via revolution (always does in history). The biggest thing is to keep people blind and this is what I mean... Most people pay PAYE and so don't see the tax as their money its just paid and you get the net but unfortunately you get tax'd a lot more than you realise.

More than 50% of your income is paid in taxes

1) PAYE tax
2) National Insurance
3) More than 70% of petrol you pay is tax
4) Things you buy for your house (VAT)
5) Got Insurance (IPT)
6) Go on holiday (tax)
7) Road Tax
8) MOT

And just when you thought it was safe ..

9) Council Tax
10) Go to London (Congestion Tax)
11) Fancy travelling a little faster take the Tax (I mean toll) road
12) Make sure you got your televison tax (ooh I mean license)

Most people pay more to the government than they do to live on .... just have a think about that for a while.

And now we can look forward to...

1) More speed cameras
2) Higher Car tax
3) Showroom tax
4) Higher congestion tax (and more cities adopting it)
5) Increase on petrol taxes
6) Makes you feel like drinking oops nope their putting more tax on that too ...
Old 10 March 2008, 09:35 AM
Lord-Martin-Of-Leeds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mew
yet another tax to put on the list............. did he say where the money was going by chance??????
He`s going to waste it.
Old 10 March 2008, 09:48 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord-Martin-Of-Leeds
He`s going to waste it.
And even worse we will all continue to pay these taxes ....

forgot to mention...

a) If you manage to save any money, the interest you earn, on already taxed money is taxed..
b) Buying a house ... oh yes thats taxed
c) You manage to pay off your house and save money having already been taxed all your life and then when you die. Your children or whoever inherits your estate is then taxed ....
Old 10 March 2008, 10:18 AM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

I have forgotten how many people on here sit at home when it is voting day, saying pathetically "There's no point voting" but they still moan and whinge and blubber!
Voting is like a multiple choice test where none of the options are right!

Still there is an argument for getting someone else in as Labour are probably set up for a nice and efficient skim of all funds. The next government (assuming new party/inexperienced) would take a while to realise all of the myriad of ways they can be corrupt, and shaft the tax payer.
Old 10 March 2008, 11:01 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

don't get me wrong I'm not agreeing with the price on fuel or new car tax for that matter but it does get on my nerves when people say "they" are getting the money...

What personally??? Alistair darling getting a new billion pound yaught for xmas .? !! ?!?>..

The Daily Mail/Sun/Mirror/Whatever would have a field day.. (as they often do) if that was the case.

There is only a certain amount of money available and it has to come from somewhere, you may not agree with where they are trying to get it all from (I don't agree with them at all on many taxes) but don't be in doubt that the money would only get taken from somewhere else. I say tax the richest more (certainly don't let them take the **** as they do at the moment, the richer you are the least tax you pay proportionally) also the whole country should be run as a business.. ie local council is a farce the money they spend implementing ****e ideas (not central governments fault entirely) is laughable, another example is the massive amount of holiday and benefits available .... why ?? no "business" employees would get that.

If you don't like "where" they are taxing you + other issues vote them out but don't be daft and think the next lot will tax you any less it will just be different.

On another note I think there should be regional tax differences. I live in the sticks and travel all over the county and it would seem to me the places with the cheapest fuel are always the places with the best public transport, that is just bolx, why is there no subsidy for remote areas ... I'm sure Hamish McScottish in the far north of scotland would love to grab a speedy train but instead pays 10-20% more to use his car. The arguement to that is that it's your choice to live in a city/rural area... but... they don't want any more people in the cities ... go figure.

**rant over**

Pants
Old 10 March 2008, 11:39 AM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
don't get me wrong I'm not agreeing with the price on fuel or new car tax for that matter but it does get on my nerves when people say "they" are getting the money...

What personally??? Alistair darling getting a new billion pound yaught for xmas .? !! ?!?>..

The Daily Mail/Sun/Mirror/Whatever would have a field day.. (as they often do) if that was the case.

There is only a certain amount of money available and it has to come from somewhere, you may not agree with where they are trying to get it all from (I don't agree with them at all on many taxes) but don't be in doubt that the money would only get taken from somewhere else. I say tax the richest more (certainly don't let them take the **** as they do at the moment, the richer you are the least tax you pay proportionally) also the whole country should be run as a business.. ie local council is a farce the money they spend implementing ****e ideas (not central governments fault entirely) is laughable, another example is the massive amount of holiday and benefits available .... why ?? no "business" employees would get that.

If you don't like "where" they are taxing you + other issues vote them out but don't be daft and think the next lot will tax you any less it will just be different.

On another note I think there should be regional tax differences. I live in the sticks and travel all over the county and it would seem to me the places with the cheapest fuel are always the places with the best public transport, that is just bolx, why is there no subsidy for remote areas ... I'm sure Hamish McScottish in the far north of scotland would love to grab a speedy train but instead pays 10-20% more to use his car. The arguement to that is that it's your choice to live in a city/rural area... but... they don't want any more people in the cities ... go figure.

**rant over**

Pants

Well they could start by stop blowing it all on wars, immagrants and giving the stuff away

Might be a bit more to go around then!
Old 10 March 2008, 11:43 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

The big difference of course between us and the rich is they can afford expensive solicitors and accountants to save them money in only paying the absolute minimum they need and I don't blame them.

Like I said before if you were to get all your money as gross and then pay tax after, many wouldn't do it or at least find better ways to not have to pay it.

I too agree with local taxing based on where you are. We would then see who the genuine workers were and those that just spunge off the government. As those that were paying for the spungers wouldn't put up with it.
Old 10 March 2008, 11:47 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
Well they could start by stop blowing it all on wars, immagrants and giving the stuff away

Might be a bit more to go around then!
Totally agree.

War in Iraq = £ Billions
Free houses/healthcare/education/benifits to immigrants = £ Billions and rising
Aid to foreign countries = £ Billions
Benifits to Chavs earning more than working = £ Billions

Sort this little lot out, mostly caused by `New Labour` in the first place and there would be Billions saved every year meaning tax breaks for the Tax payer.

They should but they won't. Easier to Tax the Tax payer to fund it all.
Old 10 March 2008, 11:58 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

aaaaarggggggghhhhhhhh... can't believe I got involved with politics on here (accidental) .... I'm off for a cold shower ... I can't apologise enough
Old 10 March 2008, 12:43 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

If this does indeed come to pass, then coupled with the large road tax on band G cars (supposedly to be £1000/year soon), I would have thought this will deter all but the rich from buying them. I certainly won't be - the government get enough money from me as it is.

As someone above said, voting isn't going to make the slightest difference - Cameron has already said he will support 'green tax' rises if elected.
Old 10 March 2008, 12:46 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Seems to be a bit of a weird tax - if they want to tax the people causing more emissions and making unnecessary trips, add the cost to fuel, or make road tax dependent on the previous years mileage ( as mileages are recorded at MOT time now ) so those who use their cars more pay more.

I'll bet if they could look at where the emissions are coming from, it would be the myopic dozy bints on the school run in their 4x4's who just HAVE to drive their kids half a mile to school rather than walking.

If 'pay as you use' was introduced we could all keep our fun cars for the weekend, and use a nice diesel or hybrid for commuting and long distance driving.
Old 10 March 2008, 01:39 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

We do have "pay as you use" - its called Fuel Duty. This isn't about forcing people to buy more economical cars - its about sticking on just enough tax to keep people paying it without actually making them change anything; as thats the most 'profitable'.

Its true that people in rural areas with the worst roads and public transport get the harshest deal out of these "incentives" to get people out of their cars.

While I don't agree with Ken's latest huge rise on the congestion charge, I do struggle to have sympathy with people who choose to drive in London every day - the argument that the public transport isn't good enough falls on deaf ears to much of the rest of the Country.

As an example, if I wanted to get to London from my house using public transport - I would need to get a Taxi (No more environmentally friendly than driving myself, just more expensive!) from home to the local town 5 miles away (£8 or so taxi fare + 30mins), then get a Bus from the town into Norwich (£4? + 1 hour), then either walk (+25mins) or taxi (£5+15mins) to the train station. So thats two hours and between £12-£15 to get to the nearest train station (25 miles or so) before you even THINK about getting on a mainline train paying through the nose for the privileged of not even being guaranteed a seat. Whilst I say all this I know fully well that there are many people in the UK in an even worse situation regarding public transport.

Many people simply have no alternative but to drive their own cars; and often, due to the nature of many of our roads for half the year, many 4x4's are actually owned by people who need them, rather than idiots just using them for the school run.

And all of this from a government who has ignored the requirements to improve the national road system the whole time they've been in power, resulting in increased congestion and increased pollution, yet have pursued the expansion of major airports with a vigour only matched by their lust to ban hunting.

****ing idiots. No other way to describe them.

Last edited by Prasius; 10 March 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10 March 2008, 01:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Car Tax, Fuel Tax and Road Duty are OPTIONAL TAXES!!

If you don't want to pay, buy a secondhand diesel and catch the bus when you can ......................... painfully simple really (and this is what the green tax is supposed to get you to do) - if you want to keep your new Impreza using 18mpg of Super dooper fuel then you will have to pay for the pleasure - BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO!
Old 10 March 2008, 01:55 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Agreed. It was highly unlikely I'd buy a post 2001 Impreza anyway, this cements it.
Old 10 March 2008, 02:04 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by pslewis
Car Tax, Fuel Tax and Road Duty are OPTIONAL TAXES!!

If you don't want to pay, buy a secondhand diesel and catch the bus when you can ......................... painfully simple really (and this is what the green tax is supposed to get you to do) - if you want to keep your new Impreza using 18mpg of Super dooper fuel then you will have to pay for the pleasure - BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO!
Yes i do, i NEED a 4x4 in winter or i wouldnt be able to get within two miles of home, and i dont want a shogun or similar cos for the money i had to spend, it would be a sh1tter! plus who wants to drive round in something with the responses of the jahre viking? so a scoob or evo was the only sensible choice between winter "get me home" ability and summer fun!

Plus there is no public transport after 7 round here so i have no choice but to take a taxi or drive the scoob. and most taxis wont come to my road if the weathers bad!

So what choice do i have?
Old 10 March 2008, 02:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Yes i do, i NEED a 4x4 in winter or i wouldnt be able to get within two miles of home, and i dont want a shogun or similar cos for the money i had to spend, it would be a sh1tter! plus who wants to drive round in something with the responses of the jahre viking? so a scoob or evo was the only sensible choice between winter "get me home" ability and summer fun!

Plus there is no public transport after 7 round here so i have no choice but to take a taxi or drive the scoob. and most taxis wont come to my road if the weathers bad!

So what choice do i have?
You have just stated what choices you made ...... there were cheaper choices on offer (and still are) - if you choose not to cut costs yourself you cannot expect the government to do it for you.

The point I am trying to make is that taxes are being used in this case to social engineer peoples choices - as it's a free country, you don't have to drive an economical car if you do not want to - but you will have to pay an ever higher price for going against the wishes of the children of the future.
Old 10 March 2008, 02:17 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default Why can't we sue the Govt ...

... seeing as this will most certainly cause depreciation in the value of cars currently on the road? I can understand the effect on cars yet to be bought & that's a conscious decision by future owners however for the rest of us already within Band G then there is a loss that we will suffer due to an action of the Govt that had not happened when we purchased our cars small claims court anyone?

TX.

Edit - rant over as just seen it's new cars only. Be aware though that imports will get caught up in this even if they are not brand new. My car was reg'd Dec 04 in Japan & reg'd here in Jan 07; they put me in Band G on the basis that the rules state the banding applies for the UK registration rather than original Japan registration date

Last edited by Terminator X; 10 March 2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: read original post!
Old 10 March 2008, 02:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

TX - I agree it's a hard place to fall for you lot with G Rate cars and facing a massive loss on values ....... not many people will want an annual £1000+ Car Tax bill - hence the prices will collapse.

Your best bet is to keep the car I guess?

I am all for a small claims court action ....... I am no stranger to them - but, I doubt you would win anything
Old 10 March 2008, 02:26 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Troll alert to Major Tom!

Quick Reply: £2000 extra tax on new turbo Subarus ?