ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby newbie couple of tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2008, 10:42 PM
scoobydann
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby newbie couple of tips needed

Hi all i am hoping you can help i have had many a fast car but this is the first scooby i have ever owned, i have always wanted one but never could afford it untill now (insurance and fuel aswell etc)

I know nothing about them at all and i am picking my first one ever up tomorrow its an L reg WRX turbo 130km rollcage meant to be uprated turbo and chipped ecu, 18" alloys turbo timer etc etc but i know nothing about them at all and wondered if you could give me a few pointers as to keeping it and maintaining it and on the road.

Things like firstly i have heared about using high octane fuel which i didnt know about shell optimax or super but if theres anything else a novice should know please tell me now! many thanks

Dan
Old 16 March 2008, 10:48 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobydann
Hi all i am hoping you can help i have had many a fast car but this is the first scooby i have ever owned, i have always wanted one but never could afford it untill now (insurance and fuel aswell etc)

I know nothing about them at all and i am picking my first one ever up tomorrow its an L reg WRX turbo 130km rollcage meant to be uprated turbo and chipped ecu, 18" alloys turbo timer etc etc but i know nothing about them at all and wondered if you could give me a few pointers as to keeping it and maintaining it and on the road.

Things like firstly i have heared about using high octane fuel which i didnt know about shell optimax or super but if theres anything else a novice should know please tell me now! many thanks

Dan
I'm no expert on classics or newage, but if yours has been remapped and has an uprated turbo, I wouldn't run it anything less than super. I tend to buy Tesco '99 RON, or V-Power (the "new" optimax).

Secondly, if it doesn't come with a load of history from reputable (or at least semi-reputable) dealers or servicers (is that a word!?) I'd be tempted to have it checked over before "giving it some" - that's more me playing it safe but being realistic it could save you money - you hear horror stories about people buying modded scoobs and having them go pop

Best of luck with it
Old 16 March 2008, 11:00 PM
scoobydann
Scooby Newbie

thanks very much i look after my cars so hopefully i wont have too many problems, any more gratefully recieved thanks again!
Old 16 March 2008, 11:22 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobydann

Dan
aye good luck, although I maybe wouldnt have gone for such a modified example for my first scoob. Your best bet is to ask the previous owner what kind of fuel he uses. If he doesnt have a clue you should then proceed to call him a **** before driving off! I would advise only running it on V power(dont use BP ultimate or any other sh*te) because its an import.

The main thing you should do is let the oil warm up properly for the first 6-8 miles before using the turbo properly(over 3k rpm), and I dont even use over half throttle until then. Also, if youve been really booting it, just cruise at 50-60 in top gear for the last 5 mins of your journey hardly using any throttle at all, as the air when moving cools it down way more than idleling ever could. If you do that you dont even need to use the turbo timer, although do it if you prefer.

Thats about all...just get it serviced every 7500 like your meant to.

Alan
Old 16 March 2008, 11:25 PM
scoobydann
Scooby Newbie

thats brilliant thankyou, i have no fear its not my only car so if it goes wrong it goes wrong as long as it gets me home i can get it how i want it after but i will ask him what fuel he uses in it! many thanks
Old 16 March 2008, 11:31 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU Reset

You might want to test the ecu for fault codes then reset it to see if they ever come up again. Above links will help.

I would never run my car on anything else than Super unleaded. Your L reg could have ran on standard unleaded but if its been chipped, please please please only put in V power ot Tesco 99. If the timing belt hasnt been changed in the last 40k, change it.
Change oil and filter every 6k.
Plugs every 40k (NGK7's)
And no long high speed runs...........ie above the ton for more than 30secs.
Old 17 March 2008, 12:26 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ecu for the chip (you may have to open it up) to identify who has done the chipping.
Check the turbo for any identification marks on it.
Does the previous owner/garage know what it's running power wise?
Was the modding done in this country?
A session on a rolling road can help show if the car is healthy (about £50).
Run it on Vpower/Tescos 99 ron plus octane booster if the chipping was done in Japan (they have a habit of pushing chipping to an extreme)

You'll find (if standard) the brakes are **** ,it will understeer like a bitch when pushed hard.
Old 17 March 2008, 08:39 PM
scoobydann
Scooby Newbie

this is very helpfull, the cambelt they dont know about so may want to get that changed anyway to be safe i take it every 40k on that then, thanks for your help!