ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

don't name and shame garages...

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2008, 03:36 AM
jason77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't name and shame garages...

Just found the volvo site i used is closed...

Board Closed

eek... a word of warning maybe?
Old 29 March 2008, 10:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't worry, mate, they'll soon find a new supplier for the pipes and slippers...................

Alcazar
Old 29 March 2008, 02:51 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i did say dealers were getting fed up with forums who blame them for everything and were going to do things about it well it looks like it has started!
Old 29 March 2008, 07:35 PM
Matt241
Scooby Regular

I have been a regular member of this site for the past year and a half, Real shame they had a good Snooker Arcade game on there!!!

Matt.
Old 29 March 2008, 08:47 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason77
Just found the volvo site i used is closed...

Board Closed

eek... a word of warning maybe?
Just clicked on the link....it seems open to me
Old 29 March 2008, 09:15 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Just clicked on the link....it seems open to me

It wasn't earlier today.
It all depends what was said to close the site down albeit temporarily.
Old 29 March 2008, 09:58 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

How do you know that it was closed due to naming and shaming ???

Trending Topics

Old 29 March 2008, 11:15 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a statement on the front page explaining someone was taking legal action against them for defamatory statements.
Old 29 March 2008, 11:20 PM
jason77
Scooby Regular

the whole lot had gone apart from a single front screen containing the following text:-

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It is time to release details of the events that led to the recent closure of this forum.

On 22 February 2008 I received an email from the owner of a garage that said, “I have just come across some very defamatory comments regarding my business on this forum site.”

The matter was investigated and the relevant thread removed from public view, and as a result I made the statement that posts about poor work done by garages would not be made. This was made after taking legal advice, advice that said the Volvo Owners Club, owners of the forum, could be held liable. The initial action taken by us did not resolve the matter, and it is still unresolved at this time. Hence, we cannot make any further comments.

Such legal action could be very costly and possibly exhaust the club funds. If the costs exceeded those funds the directors themselves could find themselves having to pay out of their own money.

My statement precipitated a torrent of abuse on this and other forums and some was not from members of the Volvo Owners Club.

The comments made on other forums, comments that have been passed to us were often defamatory and insulting. It is clear there are some people who have no consideration or respect for others. They seem only to want to insult others and disrupt the forum. I think we all agree with freedom of speech, but it can only be within the laws of the land.

We, the Board of Directors of the Volvo Owners Club, decided that the best course of action would be to close the forum as we felt the name of the Volvo Owners Club was being tarnished. This was done last Saturday evening.

The insults and abuse against us have continued on some other forums, and it is clear from the comments that some of those people will attempt to get back on this forum and possibly continue their campaign of disruption.

I hope it is clear now why the forum was closed, and how the irresponsible actions of some can have far reaching implications.

It may not now be a case of “when” the forum will reopen, it may be, “if”.

Robert Isaac
Director
On behalf of the Board of Directors
Volvo Owners Club

26 March 2008
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Good to see it's back up panic over lol.

P.s. please don't flame me for having a volvo

Cheers

J
Old 29 March 2008, 11:49 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

public forums , surly you can post your own views, good or bad
Old 30 March 2008, 12:04 AM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

When you register doesn't it usually clam that "The Forum" has no responsibility for your comments or statements.

Or something along those lines
Old 30 March 2008, 12:05 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

if you make public false statements in writing that can cause upset or anguish, then you liable for libel as is the hoster of your message. so as long as your statement is true, it's fine. you can say that peter sutcliffe is mass murderer but you can't say that o.j.simpson is a wife murderer. even if you make off the cuff remarks about someone like "he's a porsche owning sad tw@t troll who really needs to get a life" then that can also be libelous, unless you can prove that the person is sad or indeed a tw@t and lives under a bridge.
Old 30 March 2008, 12:32 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

either way..the garage will just bring its poor service(allegedly) to even more eyes and ears... it is a good site though as ive used it for a few years too...
Old 30 March 2008, 12:40 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
if you make public false statements in writing that can cause upset or anguish, then you liable for libel as is the hoster of your message. so as long as your statement is true, it's fine. you can say that peter sutcliffe is mass murderer but you can't say that o.j.simpson is a wife murderer. even if you make off the cuff remarks about someone like "he's a porsche owning sad tw@t troll who really needs to get a life" then that can also be libelous, unless you can prove that the person is sad or indeed a tw@t and lives under a bridge.

^^^
Old 30 March 2008, 01:02 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
Now who are you referring to then?? Anybody we know
Old 30 March 2008, 05:23 AM
jason77
Scooby Regular

how about if he only stayed under the bridge for a few days... not properly taken up residence?

LOL
Old 30 March 2008, 09:16 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

@ Gallois

I feel its kind of sad that the Volvo forums felt they had to take that option - and to be honest, I'd be very dubious about going to the garage that presumably was very quick to chase after legal action, rather than dealing with the issue in another way. Obviously I don't know the full story, but in my mind, if a garage feels the need to immediately run off threatening legal action it makes me think they've got something to hide, unless the complaint was obviously ridiculous. But thats the cynic in me.
Old 30 March 2008, 10:35 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I'd just like to say that Haddocks in Colchester were completely justified in charging me £750 for a cambelt service and I was ecstatic to pay them this amount, as it seemed a fair price for the same service that an independent garage would have charged me £450 for!
Old 30 March 2008, 12:37 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by rbaz
Now who are you referring to then?? Anybody we know

Think it starts with N and ends in ACRO.Lol

Mac
Old 30 March 2008, 12:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

So how can watchdog name and shame?

I posted some factual observations about a dealers i visited when getting some parts,

the thread was vaped,

if it had been BS then fair enough, but it wasnt, the findings were as seen.

prehaps i ought to have put,

i didnt visit a dealer, i didnt find the premises near on empty, and i didnt have to wait over 30 minutes at a deserted counter, calling out for someone to serve me. I also didnt see new cars on the forcourt with flat tyres, or have to drive round for quater of an hour trying to find a space to park on the delears premises.

Mart