ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can I trade my EU WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2008, 09:57 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I trade my EU WRX?

Have recently been considering changing my EU WRX which is almost 3 yrs old. Have visited 2 Peugeot dealers a Renault dealer and a Ford dealer and so far none of them have come back to me. They all appear to need a Subaru dealer to underwrite the sale? The car is in good condition and has only done 24,500 miles. I would have thought any decent garage would be able to sell it themselves. Has anyone else managed to trade a similar car in. I suppose ideally I should trade it in for a new Subaru but can't stretch to an Sti at present
Old 30 March 2008, 10:25 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

Why do you have to tell them its an EU import (parallel) its the same car as supplied from subaru uk? only thing that will tell them its not supplied direct (subaru uk) is the service book every thing else is the same especially after the warranty has expired.

What does getting subaru uk to underwrite the sale mean???
Old 30 March 2008, 10:30 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pre-selling before PX, common practice these days to get the best PX price a dealer can offer. In some cases they will still take the car but offer even worse px value. If its presold or underwritten to another dealer the PX value is often greater. IMHO etc etc...and sometimes they just don't want the pain of shifting a PX.
Old 30 March 2008, 10:42 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Yes I have explained that it is to UK spec not sure if the problem is that its an import or whether they just don't want to handle a subaru? The glasses guide trade price is 9,800 so would have thought they could still make a profit selling it

Originally Posted by newbiefreddy
Why do you have to tell them its an EU import (parallel) its the same car as supplied from subaru uk? only thing that will tell them its not supplied direct (subaru uk) is the service book every thing else is the same especially after the warranty has expired.

What does getting subaru uk to underwrite the sale mean???

Last edited by HOWY; 30 March 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 31 March 2008, 08:51 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOWY
Have recently been considering changing my EU WRX which is almost 3 yrs old. Have visited 2 Peugeot dealers a Renault dealer and a Ford dealer and so far none of them have come back to me. They all appear to need a Subaru dealer to underwrite the sale? The car is in good condition and has only done 24,500 miles. I would have thought any decent garage would be able to sell it themselves. Has anyone else managed to trade a similar car in. I suppose ideally I should trade it in for a new Subaru but can't stretch to an Sti at present
i also have an EU import but did you register your car with I.M for warranty?
Old 31 March 2008, 09:14 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I guess the dealers also ask you if it's an EU import even before you volunteer the information, I've been getting prices for my Outback recently and although it is a UK car every dealer has asked the question. I guess with it being 3 years old it might be around the time that some euro's might not have quite been euro models (Malta, Cyprus etc) and they (IM) were still arguing about the warranty support etc.

Good luck with the sale, I'm sure you'll get it sorted. Probs just have to be a bit forcefull when you find the car you want and are close to doing a deal (although I guess you need a p/x price before then... arrgghh).
Old 31 March 2008, 05:36 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

There shouldn't be much of an issue with the value on an EU-import once its past about three years old (assuming its to UK spec., which virtually all of them do seem to be).
I think there is just a general problem with marketing these cars at the moment. Sentiment has changed in the last 6 months; much higher fuel prices, higher tax, mortgage payments looking like they will be going up and house prices dropping. A lot of people are looking to cut their costs and an expensive to run used car is not going to be a popular buy - dealers know this and so are wary of accepting it as a trade-in.

A friend of mine had an immaculate low-mileage bugeye WRX and really struggled to sell it. No private buyers and in the end he had to accept a p/x offer well below book.

At the other end of the scale I have been trying to order a new Fiat Panda diesel (60+mpg and £35 road tax) for my elderly mother and no dealers have them - they have been selling very fast. Its had to be ordered from the factory and she might get it late in May.
Old 31 March 2008, 05:45 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
i also have an EU import but did you register your car with I.M for warranty?
Yes its registered with IM so this shouldn't be a problem in fact the cyprus cars even have a 5yr transmission warranty so should be a better buy than a UK one whcih only has 3 I believe.
Old 31 March 2008, 06:29 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I think IM eventually caved in and ALL EU-purchased cars were covered by the Subaru Pan-Euro warranty anyway, whether registered with IM or not.
If the car is 3 or more years old then it wouldn't be an issue anyway...