ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

M.O.T advisory notice??

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2008, 07:27 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M.O.T advisory notice??

my classic had its m.o.t today and it passed with flying colours ......but on the advisory notice the guy put 001 exhaust system noisy [7.1.2b] mmmmmmmmmmm hello its a subaru i would'nt say my exhaust is loud anyway!!!! but more to the point what does he think i'm gonna do about it???? put the pea shooter back on I THINK NOT
Old 30 April 2008, 07:31 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Pretty certain they have do this to cover there backs, otherwise mr vosa may take away there mot license. Some new ruling about if it sounds louder than a "standard" subaru of a similar age they have to advise.
Old 30 April 2008, 07:38 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR 1mposter
Pretty certain they have do this to cover there backs, otherwise mr vosa may take away there mot license. Some new ruling about if it sounds louder than a "standard" subaru of a similar age they have to advise.
where do people get this crap from , wot new ruling if its louder than standard please
Old 30 April 2008, 08:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It will only get worse....

New Labour rules...

LOL

DunxC
Old 30 April 2008, 08:43 PM
CallumR
Scooby Newbie

I'm an mot tester and any car that comes in with a non-standard exhaust that is louder than a standard car of similar ae and mileage is supposed to fail.

The only exceptions to this are scoob's and evo's as some come standard with louder exhausts and were not allowed to say if they should be standard or not.

Stupidly loud exhausts are a fail anyway.
Old 30 April 2008, 09:09 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry about it to much Advisory can be issued for anything really, really just to cover the tester's a## from VOSA.
Old 30 April 2008, 09:29 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 34srm
where do people get this crap from , wot new ruling if its louder than standard please
This crap was happening back in 2005 !

Road Traffic act Section 42 (b) and the Road Vehicle Construction and Use Act 1986, citing Regulation 54, Sections 41 (a) and 41 (b).

Which basically states, aftermarket exhaust systems over 2 db louder than a standard/similar car same age.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...l-exhaust.html

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2008, 09:34 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Simple,don't go there for an MOT again and find yourself a nice friendly MOT tester like I have

I know people who have had their cars failed for things like a tax disc slightly too high and even for having a magic tree hanging from the rear view mirror
Old 30 April 2008, 09:41 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

As for MOT test there is no actual test they can carry out on the exhaust for noise levels, but they can if they wish refuse to test due to the noise from it, same for tinted windows they cannot fail the vehicle on its windows being tinted as they have no test equipment for it, but on both items the Law can do something about it. Crazy really, but as a nice traffic cop once said to me "it's not your window tinting you need to worry about it's your speed". I guess if your staying in the law with your speed and safe driving then you ain't got to worry about your exhaust or other Mods.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:19 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

The father-in-law is a mechanic & MOT tester and I was in at the weekend to give him a hand with service & timing belt, not sure how we got onto the subject but he was saying that he has only ever failed 1 scoob for having a loud exhaust, said it was just beyond ridiculous.
They don't have a specific noise level to test to but as has been said if it's considerably louder than standard then it can be failed.

Wouldn't worry about the advisory though, it's just that - advice. As said, if you're worried take it elsewhere next year.

Oh, I remember what we were talking about - on the next ramp was a DC2 Integra Type R with a massive slash cut exhaust and straight through pipework - said that must make some noise when it hits VTEC!!
Old 30 April 2008, 10:23 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an advisory for my child seat as they couldn't remove it to test the seat belt was working back drivers side, made no difference to the MOT.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:33 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

I know people who have had their cars failed for...having a magic tree hanging from the rear view mirror

That should be an instant fail. I expect they have their fog lights on too.
Old 02 May 2008, 09:03 AM
urdad
Scooby Regular

This----> ..it's worse with enduro bikes,testers are the same as police they don't know everything...