ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Opinions please; Evo Vs Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 03:52 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please; Evo Vs Scooby

This is NOT meant to be a slagging off thread for either car, im in a dilema, of a sort, the lad who I bought my 03 sti ppp from has got back in touch about the possibility of swapping back cars, he misses the scoob over the FQ300 he bought (Evo 8)

He's hinted at a possible part ex, trouble is, Ive always said at some point Id like an Evo but Ive spent nearly 3k on getting the car I bought from him, upto what I want.

His Evo is running 365 compared to mine (320) his is hands down the faster, but thats not whats really selling it for me, Im not that bothered about masses of power, I just want to know what ppl feel about the 2 cars, trying to be non biased and honest.

I know that Evo's have always had the reputation to be slightly superior in most departments, but he says his lacks the aggression of the scoob, the way the turbo spools and kicks in, the power etc, he says the Evo's just pulls totally differently, more lineared compared to the blob he had.

Whats everyones thoughts/ Im more bothered about driving differences, not running costs, as I know the obvious, more frequent services, etc, etc.
Old 27 May 2008, 04:08 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Jimmy............I think his own reasons for wanting the car back speak volumes.

I have just sold my 400bhp Newage and miss it greatly. Everything I have driven since is not a patch on it and that includes an Evo 8. Now I appreciate mine had a lot of money spent on it but when I first test drove it (standard save for remap), it made me want to buy it. The Evo's that I've driven in the last month have failed to deliver for me.

There was one exception and that was the Evo 9 GT. Problem now is spending close on 20k for a car that will be pampered and used at weekends (which was the main reason I sold the Subaru) Head says cheaper Classic and a sensible motor like a Mk5 Golf Gti for the Mrs............

One other thing I think the look of the Evo8 is bloody awful. The front end does nothing for me at all.

Tell him to stick it

Last edited by RLE; 27 May 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 27 May 2008, 04:12 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

LoL....cheers mate, I think he's trying to make it out that its ME who's getting the better deal, but Ive expended a LOT of energy, time and money into the Blob since I got it off him, took me an age to get the paint work in shape aswell.....
Old 27 May 2008, 04:19 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Test drive the FQ if you get a chance and you will soon see why he wants yours back. Dont get me wrong the Evo was still a quick car and is deceptively fast. I understand exactly what he's saying regarding the power delivery, it is linear and the handling felt really good yet it still missed that "special" feeling for me. Coupled with the looks it was quickly crossed off the list.

Now if he was offering you a IX GT I'd be saying snap his hand off. Nice car and they seem to be holding a good value.

Appreciate it's all very subjective. What one likes the other hates so whatever you decide good luck. Just dont be like me regretting your decision.
Old 27 May 2008, 04:20 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I'd keep the scoob but you could ask him for a test drive to see what you think of the evo.
Old 27 May 2008, 05:00 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
he misses the scoob over the FQ300 he bought (Evo 8)
says it all really, looks like he realises he made a mistake and now wants his car back, you might find your self in the same situation except it wont be so easy to get yours back
Old 27 May 2008, 05:12 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I went from a MY02 STI TD05 20g with full engine support mods and the whole Whiteline catalogue thrown at it, to a EVO 9 JDM GSR,

I've had that now for 12months at 300bhp and had more fun in the EVO than the STI with 380bhp. I think the power delivery is more linear, due to twinscroll more than likely, i just find it offers such a neutral driving experience that you can really have some fun and exploit its grip levels, getting the back end out as and when you want to with a prod of the pedal and a margin of weight transfer.

Evo hands down for me over the STI, although it lacks the flat 4 soundtrack and the understeer/oversteer snappin the STI had which i thought was "character". The evo is numb in the sense it goes where you want it to, where the STI kind of punched you in the face for telling it to go left/right.

Evo now has full 3" exhaust, induction and EBC and i'm in the process of mapping it, should be a riot with circa 400bhp and similar torques.....least until the GTR arrives early next year!
Old 27 May 2008, 05:18 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, keep em coming, I want a view from both sides so to speak
Old 27 May 2008, 05:26 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Easily rectifiable but the smaller diameter steering wheel on the EVO is a real bonus
Old 27 May 2008, 05:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
I went from a MY02 STI TD05 20g with full engine support mods and the whole Whiteline catalogue thrown at it, to a EVO 9 JDM GSR,

I've had that now for 12months at 300bhp and had more fun in the EVO than the STI with 380bhp. I think the power delivery is more linear, due to twinscroll more than likely, i just find it offers such a neutral driving experience that you can really have some fun and exploit its grip levels, getting the back end out as and when you want to with a prod of the pedal and a margin of weight transfer.

Evo hands down for me over the STI, although it lacks the flat 4 soundtrack and the understeer/oversteer snappin the STI had which i thought was "character". The evo is numb in the sense it goes where you want it to, where the STI kind of punched you in the face for telling it to go left/right.

Evo now has full 3" exhaust, induction and EBC and i'm in the process of mapping it, should be a riot with circa 400bhp and similar torques.....least until the GTR arrives early next year!
character... no thats what cinquecento had andy

i do like the evo's, but as andy will tell you i hate the boring noise of them. the subaru's soundtrack is second to none, and unfortunatley i find the evo flatters the average driver more so than a scoob does - which is saying something with awd etc.

if you do go, youll be back... andy's getting a supercar because he misses his sti so much
Old 27 May 2008, 05:41 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
, and unfortunatley i find the evo flatters the average driver more so than a scoob does - which is saying something with awd etc.
My rebuttal to this comment would be the EVO has SAYC and yes it has ACD but these merely dictate the driving position of the car i.e. offering the neutral experience.

Where as the STI with its Diffs is more on/off you can catch understeer into the corner and maybe oversteer. With the evo i know i can turn in then its all down to the right foot how far the back end hangs out
Old 27 May 2008, 05:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
My rebuttal to this comment would be the EVO has SAYC and yes it has ACD but these merely dictate the driving position of the car i.e. offering the neutral experience.

Where as the STI with its Diffs is more on/off you can catch understeer into the corner and maybe oversteer. With the evo i know i can turn in then its all down to the right foot how far the back end hangs out
minerals?

still sounds like a bike though. sorry.
Old 27 May 2008, 05:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Stupidly small fuel tank, nice low end torque, hard suspension, and you won't have many friends.... V5 and 6 are hard as nails, flabby later(?)
ECU driven car, NEVER lift whilst cornering, oh ! don't forget the chocolate clutch/flywheel designed to save the transmission from breaking.
My ex-boss killed two in two launches....(FQ-300)

All IMHO

DunxC

P.S. If it is black, ask for £3K to swap !
Old 27 May 2008, 05:46 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

i owned a 320bhp evo v and now own a 03 wrx tuned by andy f to 290 bhp
I love the scooby sound, but to be honest there is something magical about the evo.
I felt the power delivery in the evo was more mental, saying that I have had an evo 8 turbo in mine.
The evo v was my first high performance car so I aint saying that had helped my decision on this one.
Plus the evos just look that more sharper in my opinion.
Old 27 May 2008, 07:25 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The evo 8's do seem very tame in the way they deliver their power, I presume it's the gearing and extra weight. The evo 6 with the same power actually feels fast, an 8 just looks fast on the speedo! Amazing cornering ability though.

The scoob vs evo debate is all bollox, whatever floats your boat I say. I've had as much fun in an old wrx wagon as I've had in an evo 6.
Old 27 May 2008, 07:30 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
The evo 8's do seem very tame in the way they deliver their power, I presume it's the gearing and extra weight. The evo 6 with the same power actually feels fast, an 8 just looks fast on the speedo! Amazing cornering ability though.

The scoob vs evo debate is all bollox, whatever floats your boat I say. I've had as much fun in an old wrx wagon as I've had in an evo 6.

Why is it bollocks mate? Ive asked for ppl with experiences to let me know the pro's and con's of both cars Ive mentioned....
Old 27 May 2008, 07:33 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies lads, I think as a few of you have pointed out, he's missing something with the Evo that he used to love on the Scooby, coupled with the fact Ive spent a LOT of time and money making the car into what I want it to be, this to me alone I think makes the decision for me, plus Ive only had it since the beginning of March...another 2 years yet I reckon then I might consider something newer...
Old 27 May 2008, 07:33 PM
evo north
Scooby Regular

Default evo's

The later the evo the better to tune,
The 8 non mr have crap cams and only 9.8t hot side,
With a remap, exhaust, induction you get around 350bhp,
The 8 mr have more aggressive cams, bigger 10.5t hotside
With the above mods get around 380bhp,
The 9's are best still bigger turbo, (comp side)
You get around 410bhp out of this with little mods,
The mivec is better as you can adjust the inlet cam, Better spool up,,
I bought just an 8 gsr and its cost me a fortune to get to 500bhp
I have bought at least 3 of everything,
You live and learn,
I would defo get a 9rs or gt,
Better stronger 5 speed box, no ayc either
Old 27 May 2008, 07:46 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

it's a plausible debate because these cars are completely different machines!! all they share is the fact they are approx 2litre turbo, awd four door saloons!

just depends what your criteria are for an enjoyable car that brightens up your day when you get to drive it!
Old 27 May 2008, 08:01 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

just the soundtrack of the subaru does it for me, as I was first after an Evo
Old 28 May 2008, 12:51 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Appreciate it's all very subjective. What one likes the other hates so whatever you decide good luck. Just dont be like me regretting your decision.
Why don't you just get something similar back.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:59 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Keeping the blob