ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

nurburgring questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 05:33 PM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nurburgring questions!!

Me and a few mates are off to the ring in a few weeks but we are just wondering about petrol stations...or the lack of.
3 of us are mapped to run shell v-max but have heard there arent many shell stations on the way or near the ring.
Im sure we are not the only ones in this situation so wondered how you all get round it....do you use octane booster ??? or is there a high octane petrol station near to the ring thats as good as shell.
Old 27 May 2008, 05:36 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

good question bud, I am doing the exact same thing in 5 weeks and have the same worry!!!
Old 27 May 2008, 05:39 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

I went in May. Bob Rawle mapped my car and i asked the same questions.

You need to get some octance booster for all the stations that dont do shell.

Once you get out of France theyre are quite a few from there onwards

Prices are just under what we pay here

I hope that helps
Old 27 May 2008, 05:40 PM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

yeah.....my car was mapped by bob rawle and i always use shell v-max without fail....got caught out once with no option to put regular unleaded in and my knock link was going mental so i had to drive carefully til id run my tank dry.
Dont really want this scenario going round the ring at silly speeds!!
Old 27 May 2008, 05:40 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lammylama
Me and a few mates are off to the ring in a few weeks but we are just wondering about petrol stations...or the lack of.
3 of us are mapped to run shell v-max but have heard there arent many shell stations on the way or near the ring.
Im sure we are not the only ones in this situation so wondered how you all get round it....do you use octane booster ??? or is there a high octane petrol station near to the ring thats as good as shell.
The station near to the ring is 98 ron i just added some pro boost to mine and all good
Old 27 May 2008, 05:42 PM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

that helps a lot fella......so BP ultimate with a bit of octane booster will do the trick and do no harm then ???

Whats the best booster to get then??
Old 27 May 2008, 05:42 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

cheers folks. is it one bottle of octane booster per tank of 98 ron??
What is the best octane booster to buy to protect my engine?

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2008, 05:48 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

Right, once you get into france there are NO Shell garages. You wont find one till you get to Holland/Germany. I found out the hard way. Super unleaded in Europe is one octane point higher than here, so v-power is a hundred ron, Bp Ultimate is 98 ron and so forth so maybe that makes things easier. I took a 20ltr jerry can of v-power, but still ended up having to put BP Ultimate in which i was dreading. Take octane booster by all means just to be on the safe side. Have a look on the Shell website for locations. You might have to make a detour, but its the price we pay for driving high performance cars .

Hope this helps and have fun.
Rich
Old 27 May 2008, 07:45 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

i used the standard 99 ron fuel in nurburg and never had a issue,,,,,,,, so have many other people too and not had issues

be carefull in belgium though as we was at a shell station with V power that was only 95 ron !!!
Old 30 May 2008, 06:12 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
i used the standard 99 ron fuel in nurburg and never had a issue,,,,,,,, so have many other people too and not had issues

be carefull in belgium though as we was at a shell station with V power that was only 95 ron !!!
same here mate used the garage on the main road past the entrance.
if your really worried a bit booster wont do any harm!

have fun ya lucky so and so
Old 30 May 2008, 08:14 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

The Aral stations have 100 octane fuel. Sure there are stations near by, think there is one at Adenau...

5t
Old 30 May 2008, 08:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The local Shell stattion is no longer a Shell station, unfortunately...
Old 31 May 2008, 11:31 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Just make sure you have a few bottles of NF to hand. No big deal.

Oh and make you you have a full tank before leaving Dover, that way you should be able to make it to the first Shell station en route.
Old 31 May 2008, 05:12 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a pump just outside the ring on the main road..does 98ron...

I was driving from belgium and filled up from the Shell on the motorway in germany 99ron...but y the time i got to the ring i think another 80 miles up...i was near half a tank and after 2 laps i needed to refuel
Old 31 May 2008, 10:30 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
Just make sure you have a few bottles of NF to hand. No big deal.

Oh and make you you have a full tank before leaving Dover, that way you should be able to make it to the first Shell station en route.
half a tank is JUST enough on classic,,, this is from experience as i was worried as i was " testing" my scoobies reliability on the way to dover and done half a tank on the M20

oh fill up at the station BEFORE boarding the ferry as the first petrol station on the M20 is a ****ing rip off !!!
Old 01 June 2008, 08:27 AM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info guys....our plan was to fill up before the boarding the ferry but is there a shell station near the port?? Gonna do the jerry can thing too and a few bottles of OB just to be on the safe side.

Must say im sooo looking forward to it now and am gonna spend a bit of time giving the scoob the once over.....have ordered some motul 300v and an exhaust bung to hopefully shut my pipe up...its rather loud!!!!!!
Old 01 June 2008, 08:44 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Watch out with German fuel, they do quiet a lot of grades of unleaded, you have the normal 95/98 octane but also 92 octane. The small station on the main road just by the ring called "EDs Tankstelle" sells all 3, so make sure you get the correct pump, and expect to queue for a bit because they dont have many pumps and the queue is quiet often long.

There is indeed an Aral station in Adenau, that tends to be quieter because it has more pumps and its more difficult to get to.

Petrol stations in dover are few and far between and tend to be expensive because of their location. Depending on where you are heading to, I would buy in France and save a few quid.
Old 01 June 2008, 09:54 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lammylama
thanks for the info guys....our plan was to fill up before the boarding the ferry but is there a shell station near the port?? Gonna do the jerry can thing too and a few bottles of OB just to be on the safe side.

Must say im sooo looking forward to it now and am gonna spend a bit of time giving the scoob the once over.....have ordered some motul 300v and an exhaust bung to hopefully shut my pipe up...its rather loud!!!!!!
Theres a new one just after the channel tunnel exit

Be careful with noise limits they are now 95db

On the plus side they tend not to do much testing on busy days, try to go on when theres plenty of bikes lining up as it drowns out the noise of your car
Old 02 June 2008, 08:39 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
...Petrol stations in dover are few and far between and tend to be expensive because of their location. Depending on where you are heading to, I would buy in France and save a few quid...
Petrol is far more expensive in France now! At the end of April, petrol was cheaper in Dover, than in: France, Luxembourg, Germany, Holland and Belgium... Unusually, petrol in and around Adenau was some of the cheapest that I saw.....
Old 02 June 2008, 10:55 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Here you go:
from: 50.346477,6.966024 to: 50.382175,7.269334 - Google Maps

This is the closest Shell to the 'ring! Head east from the ring on the B412 to the A61, one junction south and there is a Shell station by the motorway junction! They Sell 100RON V-Power!

Last edited by BMWhere?; 02 June 2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02 June 2008, 02:03 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

IIRC the 1st Shell petrol station once off the ferry / Eurotunnel is about 100miles away, so you don't need to fill up just before in Dover, just make sure you have 100 miles left in the tank before you board. I can drive from my home to the EuroShell on one tank (M25 J8)

Once at the ring its 98 SUL so woth taking some booster.
Old 03 June 2008, 08:29 AM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Here you go:
from: 50.346477,6.966024 to: 50.382175,7.269334 - Google Maps

This is the closest Shell to the 'ring! Head east from the ring on the B412 to the A61, one junction south and there is a Shell station by the motorway junction! They Sell 100RON V-Power!
cheers for that...may come in handy..especially being 100ron too.