Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RIP OFF SCOOBY ROAD TAX RETHINK???

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 08:01 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP OFF SCOOBY ROAD TAX RETHINK???

I was listening to the Radio/reading the papers er the above.

Apparently the Labour MP'S that are poohing themselves about being voted out next election.

They are asking Gordon & Alastair Darlings to rethink along the lines of the 10p Tax.

Any one heard anything about this?

Also, do you reckon the Truckers are gonna Blockade the Petrol Refinery's like "MAD PIERRE and his mates "have done in the Fishing Boat/Diesel Protest?

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 27 May 2008, 08:10 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

On the TV today one of the organisers said if the Goverment does'nt listen they would escalate the protests, they also mentioned about cars drivers joining in. Would you put yourself out or leave it to the next person. Its the fight of the motorist, sit back and lose or stand united for victory.
Old 27 May 2008, 08:41 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

I'll join the ranks commrads!!
Old 27 May 2008, 08:42 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Lets do a French Revolution....that'll sort 'em out!
Old 27 May 2008, 08:42 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Old 27 May 2008, 08:45 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

what he said was he is listening ,which means he wont do sod all and that hutton bloke said go out and buy a different car if your not happy
Old 27 May 2008, 09:35 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Well I ain't happy.

If I had known in 2005 when I bought my Scoob that I would have been punished, NO WAIT A MINUTE, MAKE THAT RODGERED, for buying an intersting car.

Even if I had bought it in 2001 7 FRIGGING YEARS AGO!! I'd still be RODGERED!!

Mind you, it's all about saving the Polar Bears, so that makes it alright then??

My BOTTIE!!

Regards

Alan MaC

I Predict a Riot or, the Petrol Blockades coming on.

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2008, 10:02 PM
CTR54
Scooby Regular

ROGGERD ,FRIGGING ,BOTTIE .all in one paragraph,must be on about the goverment ..... .BAR STEWARDS ALL OF THEM.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:06 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmileyScooby
I'll join the ranks commrads!!

Me also..
Old 27 May 2008, 10:09 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hold your breath on this one, guys!
Doesn't matter if, once again, they've cocked it all up, not doing another U-turn is far more important than the rights of the man in the street.
JohnD
Old 27 May 2008, 10:13 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

I've posted this before.

My Grandad said to me, in your lifetime there will be a scheme to get the ordinary man in the Street off the Road.

Things will go back to my time when, only the Rich could afford to have a Horse/Carriage.

My Grandad was spot on.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 27 May 2008, 10:17 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Gordon: "we need to raise money......how can we do that"?

Alastair: "aaah Gordy, we'll just hit the motorist again like we always do. They need to drive to work, so they'l have to buy tax and fuel...**** em"!!

Gordon: "good bloody idea Alastair...tell you what, let's have it so we appear to be all green and we'll have a huge anti-car campaign. Remember, we don't have to drive to work do we mate and we can claim any costs back on expenses anyway"!

Alastair: "God we're good"!!......."But Gordy....what about the truckers"?

Gordon: "Truck em"!!!
Old 27 May 2008, 10:28 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Might make the Impreza a rare car again so can't be all bad

But on a more serious note it is a complete rip off, but I don't seem to recall many people moaning when it was just 2006 + car owners being ripped off. People are always apathetic until it effects them directly by which time it is usually too late. I'm all for those who do more miles paying more rather than solely on the size of the engine etc...

Suppose we need to pay for all these immigrants somehow eh...
Old 27 May 2008, 10:32 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Guy Fawkes had the right idea
Old 27 May 2008, 10:35 PM
CTR54
Scooby Regular

ANYONE GOT A MATCH.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:38 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CTR54
ANYONE GOT A MATCH.
Yeah, Gordon Brown's face and a Horse's ar$e
Old 27 May 2008, 10:44 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Road taxes, then fuel tax, then VAT. A ******* disgrace.

I was a very busy motorway today thinking..... Every one of these people have paid their taxes 3 times over for the privilege of going to and from work, which we get taxed on too. The government is raking in 10's of millions from driving alone.

I wonder how much of our earnings actually do return to the government? Scary thought eh?
Old 27 May 2008, 10:50 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC
I've posted this before.

My Grandad said to me, in your lifetime there will be a scheme to get the ordinary man in the Street off the Road.

Things will go back to my time when, only the Rich could afford to have a Horse/Carriage.

My Grandad was spot on.

Regards

Alan MaC

jesus your grandad was right
Old 28 May 2008, 08:20 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Going to state the obvious here - but Easiset way to reduce the road tax / petrol costs is to reduce the amount of tax that the goverment slap on it !

Now if all of Britain roads where super smooth and perfectly maintained - we could see where our money is going & possibly have a bit less of a moan - but they arn't and we are getting royally screwed at every opportunity.
Richard
Old 28 May 2008, 08:27 AM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil

jesus your grandad was right

Not a one-armed bandit but a one-eyed bandit in this case
Old 28 May 2008, 09:35 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan83590
Road taxes, then fuel tax, then VAT. A ******* disgrace.

I was a very busy motorway today thinking..... Every one of these people have paid their taxes 3 times over for the privilege of going to and from work, which we get taxed on too. The government is raking in 10's of millions from driving alone.

I wonder how much of our earnings actually do return to the government? Scary thought eh?
apparently...

the government take in around 1.5-1.8 billion a year from road tax.

by 2010 when the new tax rules and regs come in, they will be taking an estimated 4.5 billion

co2 emissions will be reduced by.................0.8%

my god thats worth it
Old 28 May 2008, 09:41 AM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
apparently...

the government take in around 1.5-1.8 billion a year from road tax.

by 2010 when the new tax rules and regs come in, they will be taking an estimated 4.5 billion

co2 emissions will be reduced by.................0.8%

my god thats worth it

It certainly doesnt feel like were driving on 1.5-1.8 billion a year roads does it????
Old 28 May 2008, 12:51 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I really do think it unfair on people who have bought a 2001 onwards high performance car.

I think it will make the *** fall right out of the 2nd hand car market, even more so than it has done already with the economy in such a bad state.

I personally think the whole idea of increasing tax again is totally wrong. Perhaps if they set a deadline from say tomorrow saying all new high performance cars/big polluters brought from tomorrow have to pay a higher tax band than cars boght before the given date. Then again that would make the *** fall right out of the new car market. Tony Blair & Gordon Brown have done a bloody good job, no wonder Blair ****ed off, knowing the **** was about to hit the fan.
Old 28 May 2008, 02:56 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my first 2001 reg WRX a couple of weeks ago after seriously looking into getting a pre-2001 reg to save on the road tax but then I looked closely at the published budget after reading the following times article Secret tax adds £200 to cost of running family cars - Times Online and saw this: "With effect from 1 April 2010, the VED rate for cars and light goods vehicles registered before 2001 will be increased in line with indexation" - they didn't shout about this in the budget speech did they! I figured why bother with a pre-2001 car when we're all gonna get fcuked over in 2010 anyway!
Old 28 May 2008, 06:35 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Instead of moaning about it, why don't you guys do something to help pressure the government to scrap it? I posted this (see below) in another thread and despite over a hundred people reading it, only one person said they'd fired off an email. Enough public pressure will force a climbdown.

Well, apparently the government could be about to wobble on the new vehicle excise duty rates that it intends to apply retrospectively to cars registered after March 2001 and which will see your annual road tax jump from £210 to £455 once fully implemented

So far, forty labour MPs have signed a Commons motion urging the chancellor to scrap this tax hike claiming that it's grossly unfair because it penalises motorists for purchasing decisions they made years ago. In addition, it will also hit many poorer motorists and at a stroke has reduced the resale value of our cars, making it harder to trade them in even if we were able to afford something newer. They are meeting with that theiving toe-rag Alistair Darling today to put their case.

The government are on the back foot at the moment so there is a real chance that, with the right pressure applied, they will relent. Please read the email below I have just sent to Alistair Darling MP ( darlinga@parliament.uk ) expressing my feelings. Please take two minutes of your time, copy it and amend as needed/you wish and email him too. Please also pass it on to friends/colleagues, and post on any other forums you use. If we can bombard his inbox with tens or even hundreds of thousands of emails on this matter, I think it could make a real difference

----------------------------------

"Dear Mr Darling

I'm writing to you about the retrospective increase in vehicle excise duty that the government is planning to introduce for higher emitting CO2 vehicles registered on or after March 1st 2001.

I am someone who cares about the environment and with dwindling oil supplies and the debate over climate change, I can see the logic in applying higher VED rates to higher CO2 emitting vehicles at the point of purchase, therefore allowing someone who is purchasing a new vehicle to make an informed choice in the light of these higher rates. However, to apply these rates retrospectively is disgraceful.

It's hard to believe that a British government would apply retrospective taxation. It goes against all notions of natural justice. Car-buying decisions aren't made lightly, but to tell someone years later that he or she made the wrong choice and that you’re now going to cripple them financially is criminal.

When I purchased my current car, climate change was far less of an issue, so I made my choice accordingly. With mortgage payments, fuel and food costs soaring, I can't afford to buy a cheaper tax band, newer car. And even if I could, the prospect of these higher rates has at a strike knocked £thousands off the second-hand value of my current vehicle making it even more impossible for me to do so. Besides, as I’m sure you’re aware, a large proportion of the total CO2 emissions of a vehicle results from its manufacture; forcing people to sell perfectly good vehicles (even if they are higher CO2 emitters) to buy new ones will actually produce a larger carbon footprint overall.

In recent weeks, the government has claimed that it is listening to the pain of its people and trying to help them. If this is the case, I urge you to scrap these penal VED rates for older cars, which will hit many people who are least able to afford them and do absolutely nothing to help the environment.

Finally I would like to add that I have been a lifelong Labour supporter, but for me, this issue will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. If you implement this disgraceful tax rise, I will never ever vote Labour again.

Yours sincerely"
Old 28 May 2008, 06:43 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Okay.. I'll send the second email. Whos gonna do the next one?
Old 28 May 2008, 07:02 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

as a driver of a scooby and having seen my folks close their hgv firm many years ago i think it is about time that car drivers support them we can all go along and join in the green thing is bulls**t and is it me but do opec control there profits by reducing/increasing the amount of oil pumped?
anyway last time round there was a lot of support at the start then it all went away as a country of car drivers we should support the truckers and our own rights as well the tax in this country is disgracful and we all bend over and take it!

stand together comrades and i think brown is out even if he drops the price down!

maybe alistar darling needs the extra revenue for the black hair dye he obviously uses on them eyebrows!!!
Old 28 May 2008, 07:04 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
Instead of moaning about it, why don't you guys do something to help pressure the government to scrap it? I posted this (see below) in another thread and despite over a hundred people reading it, only one person said they'd fired off an email. Enough public pressure will force a climbdown.

Well, apparently the government could be about to wobble on the new vehicle excise duty rates that it intends to apply retrospectively to cars registered after March 2001 and which will see your annual road tax jump from £210 to £455 once fully implemented

So far, forty labour MPs have signed a Commons motion urging the chancellor to scrap this tax hike claiming that it's grossly unfair because it penalises motorists for purchasing decisions they made years ago. In addition, it will also hit many poorer motorists and at a stroke has reduced the resale value of our cars, making it harder to trade them in even if we were able to afford something newer. They are meeting with that theiving toe-rag Alistair Darling today to put their case.

The government are on the back foot at the moment so there is a real chance that, with the right pressure applied, they will relent. Please read the email below I have just sent to Alistair Darling MP ( darlinga@parliament.uk ) expressing my feelings. Please take two minutes of your time, copy it and amend as needed/you wish and email him too. Please also pass it on to friends/colleagues, and post on any other forums you use. If we can bombard his inbox with tens or even hundreds of thousands of emails on this matter, I think it could make a real difference

----------------------------------

"Dear Mr Darling

I'm writing to you about the retrospective increase in vehicle excise duty that the government is planning to introduce for higher emitting CO2 vehicles registered on or after March 1st 2001.

I am someone who cares about the environment and with dwindling oil supplies and the debate over climate change, I can see the logic in applying higher VED rates to higher CO2 emitting vehicles at the point of purchase, therefore allowing someone who is purchasing a new vehicle to make an informed choice in the light of these higher rates. However, to apply these rates retrospectively is disgraceful.

It's hard to believe that a British government would apply retrospective taxation. It goes against all notions of natural justice. Car-buying decisions aren't made lightly, but to tell someone years later that he or she made the wrong choice and that you’re now going to cripple them financially is criminal.

When I purchased my current car, climate change was far less of an issue, so I made my choice accordingly. With mortgage payments, fuel and food costs soaring, I can't afford to buy a cheaper tax band, newer car. And even if I could, the prospect of these higher rates has at a strike knocked £thousands off the second-hand value of my current vehicle making it even more impossible for me to do so. Besides, as I’m sure you’re aware, a large proportion of the total CO2 emissions of a vehicle results from its manufacture; forcing people to sell perfectly good vehicles (even if they are higher CO2 emitters) to buy new ones will actually produce a larger carbon footprint overall.

In recent weeks, the government has claimed that it is listening to the pain of its people and trying to help them. If this is the case, I urge you to scrap these penal VED rates for older cars, which will hit many people who are least able to afford them and do absolutely nothing to help the environment.

Finally I would like to add that I have been a lifelong Labour supporter, but for me, this issue will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. If you implement this disgraceful tax rise, I will never ever vote Labour again.

Yours sincerely"

my 95 is only 99 for 6 months so is that not discrimination? maybe it even affects your human rights?
as i am sure it emits the same amount of pollution if not more!!
Old 28 May 2008, 08:55 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Have you heard about the Carbon Card Proposal???

If you want buy Petrol/Gas/Electricity you cannot buy any of these without a Carbon Card.

How does that work then??

You get given an annual allowance by Gordie & Pals.

You present it at the Pumps BEFORE YOU CAN FILL UP!!

If you go over the annual targets you PAY More.

And wait a minute, it will also transfer to AIR TRAVEL!!!

WTF????

You will also get an annual allowance for Air Travel and, if you travel too many mikes or have too many Foreign Holidays, (over your allowance) you'll pay extra for that too!!

Enough!

Regards

Alan MaC