ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

really sorry to ask, but knocking struts problem

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2008, 09:09 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry really sorry to ask, but knocking struts problem

i think one of mine has started knocking, if i push down on the back of the car there's a sort of clunk noise. the car is sitting level though and i thought they dropped down a bit on the affected side?

i guess best bet is to get it checked at subaru and if it is a strut problem has anyone had goodwill replacements when out of warrenty? just thinking that it's a well known issue that was a no questions asked warrenty job and the car has only done 20k!

typical timing as the car is getting lowered next monday, if it is the strut and i can get one will this be an easy swap for the fitter?

any advice much appreciated, just driven back from golfing hols in devon and i'm a bit knackered so can't find the energy to go through the long threads on the subject!

ta
Old 20 June 2008, 10:03 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

Will prob be a strut mate. Will be an easy job and you don't need to take it to subaru to have it checked. New strut from subaru will be 245 plus VAT. KYB is 111 plus delivery. No brainer mate
Old 20 June 2008, 10:12 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st33ly
Will prob be a strut mate. Will be an easy job and you don't need to take it to subaru to have it checked. New strut from subaru will be 245 plus VAT. KYB is 111 plus delivery. No brainer mate
thanks for the info mate would i need to change both struts though or are they pretty well matched? (or are they KYB struts anyway??)
Old 20 June 2008, 10:32 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

think LYB supply Subaru with thier struts. You can replace just one but i would advise to replace both at the same time. If one goes you can be damn sure the other will be soon to follow! I've started a thread in the suspension section. Look under my STi rear struts post. guys have posted links to site selling KYB shocks cheap. Do you have a STi?
Old 20 June 2008, 10:53 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st33ly
think LYB supply Subaru with thier struts. You can replace just one but i would advise to replace both at the same time. If one goes you can be damn sure the other will be soon to follow! I've started a thread in the suspension section. Look under my STi rear struts post. guys have posted links to site selling KYB shocks cheap. Do you have a STi?
yeah, an 05 sti which i thought they had solved the problem on cheers for the link, the guy who's doing the lowering is a kyb stockist i think, so might be able to come to some sort of decent price hopefully!!
Old 21 June 2008, 08:12 AM
tommihayes
Scooby Regular

They may just need greasing. My dad had a set of STI struts on his, from an 05ish sti and one of them started knocking.
It just needed taking off, taking apart and greasing.
Now, no clunking!
This was recommended by Olly Clark at RCMS so its not rubbish advice. Assuming your problem is similar.
Tom
Old 21 June 2008, 11:58 AM
vance1
Scooby Regular

I tried this Tom after one of mine started clunking, all I did was jack it up to get at it in situ and sprayed the best part of half a can of wd40 at the strut over a period of time. Touch wood the knocking's gone, for now maybe???
Old 21 June 2008, 01:01 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers for the tips guys, from what i've read any greasing or oiling seems to be a tempory fix (not that strut replacement is much different by the sounds of it!!), if i wasn't getting the springs changed i'd give it a crack, but i'll be kicking myself if the knock returns after a few weeks and i have to fork out again to get it changed.
Old 21 June 2008, 03:19 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When is it out of warranty?

Subaru will change them for nothing if warranty is still valid. Mine ran out in May, but luckily my rear struts went in March.
Old 21 June 2008, 04:11 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
When is it out of warranty?

Subaru will change them for nothing if warranty is still valid. Mine ran out in May, but luckily my rear struts went in March.
no such luck mate ran out end of feb.

i haven't tried the main dealer yet, mainly because i know the answer will be a no to any goodwill payment, but i'll give them a call just to have a rant.
they know it's a problem but, as far as i'm aware, aren't interested after your warrenty has expired. lots of people do low miles in these cars so i don't see why there shouldn't be a bit more give and take on the problem.

20,000 miles and i've got to replace shocks? **** me, most cars do 5 times that with no problems
Old 22 June 2008, 09:20 AM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
no such luck mate ran out end of feb.

i haven't tried the main dealer yet, mainly because i know the answer will be a no to any goodwill payment, but i'll give them a call just to have a rant.
they know it's a problem but, as far as i'm aware, aren't interested after your warrenty has expired. lots of people do low miles in these cars so i don't see why there shouldn't be a bit more give and take on the problem.

20,000 miles and i've got to replace shocks? **** me, most cars do 5 times that with no problems
I'm waiting on 3 struts to be replaced on my 57 Plate GB270!! I thought Subaru had sorted the strut problem out ages ago!
Old 22 June 2008, 09:42 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the dealer doesn't decide if it's a no to goodwill claim they have to submit a claim to subaru uk and the answer comes from them.
Old 23 June 2008, 10:05 PM
cptcaveman
Scooby Regular

I've got the same problem on my 05 wrx (the year they change the struts to sti similar), obviously i'm out of warranty, and the dealer wants to replace both rear struts and braces. I've never had a problem with my dealer and they've always been really helpful, but they want £900 all in to do the job... bugger...How do Subaru manage to time everything for when the warranty runs out?
Old 23 June 2008, 10:14 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

£900?!?! ****.

bloody typically KYB only seem to cover up to 2004 so unless there's another option the dealer is the only way to go

just to confuse things even more, i jacked the car up tonight and had a prod and poke, pulled a few things, swore loudly at the strut (as you do) then went of for a drive and nothing. no noise at all.

i'm sure it'll come back soon enough though
Old 24 June 2008, 08:12 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

jacking the car does lube the top bush for a bit.
Old 24 June 2008, 03:48 PM
Thevoicewithin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
i think one of mine has started knocking, if i push down on the back of the car there's a sort of clunk noise. the car is sitting level though and i thought they dropped down a bit on the affected side?

i guess best bet is to get it checked at subaru and if it is a strut problem has anyone had goodwill replacements when out of warrenty? just thinking that it's a well known issue that was a no questions asked warrenty job and the car has only done 20k!

typical timing as the car is getting lowered next monday, if it is the strut and i can get one will this be an easy swap for the fitter?

any advice much appreciated, just driven back from golfing hols in devon and i'm a bit knackered so can't find the energy to go through the long threads on the subject!

ta
Mine is a 06 and my local dealer did mine as a warrenty job, no questions asked.

That was about a year ago and they`ve just started playing up again.