ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Decat/Remap what else is needed

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2008, 07:51 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decat/Remap what else is needed

As above, but do I also need to fit a cold air induction kit or uprated fuel pump to all this?, or would I get full benifits from just the decat and remap?

car in question is a Blobeye STI (265), at the moment mod wise it has a H&S centre and BB, with a Green panel filter.

Thanks
Daz.
Old 24 June 2008, 07:56 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The uprated fuel pump will certainly help Darren. I already had that as part of the PPP But i also added a APS 70mm CAI when mine was mapped along with porting the headers & Colder firing Iridium Plugs. I never bothered with Decat as i couldn't be arsed with swapping back come MOT time. If i was u i'd look ouf for a Prodrive sports CAT on Fleabay and fit that, instead of full Decat.

Give Zak a ring @ Mocom and discuss what your after he's always there with some great advise
Old 24 June 2008, 10:19 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

MOT time is the only problem with a decat, been told it will cost me £80 to get i through each year, a high flow cat is very pricey think about £300, so the decat is cheaper to start with, you only gain a few bhp's over the high flow cat.

I can't remember where Andy from Special Scoobies said he goes for the remapping.

Guessing a CAI is not really needed, what I have will be fine, but if at a later date I did get one another map will be needed????
Old 24 June 2008, 10:23 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes M8 especially if u get summin like a APS as the MAF needs to be rescaled due to the huge increase in air flow past it.

If u get Zak to map the car he uses open source which means it's cheaper than paying the Ecutec License fee
Old 25 June 2008, 12:40 AM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Yes M8 especially if u get summin like a APS as the MAF needs to be rescaled due to the huge increase in air flow past it.

If u get Zak to map the car he uses open source which means it's cheaper than paying the Ecutec License fee
Glad someone is now supporting free to download open source mapping software. EcuFlash

Last edited by SqeekyMclean; 25 June 2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 25 June 2008, 07:37 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Once fully complete what are the chances of getting some pops/bangs from the exhaust and maybe the odd spit of flame?, or is that something that has to be mapped in i.e. add more fuel!?

Also guess the old insurance company will want to know about the remap?, the exhaust I know for sure.
Old 25 June 2008, 07:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
Once fully complete what are the chances of getting some pops/bangs from the exhaust and maybe the odd spit of flame?, or is that something that has to be mapped in i.e. add more fuel!?

Also guess the old insurance company will want to know about the remap?, the exhaust I know for sure.
Zak mapped in some pops, bangs and flames into my decat remap. You must tell your insurance everything, Moley knows every mod on my cars and covered like for like rather than like for standard. As for MOT's sports cats aren't a guarantee for passing but most new ones do. If it were me and I were buying new rather than reusing parts that I already had, I would go decat and pm me for a friendly MOT centre.

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2008, 07:52 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Think I can put up with a £80 a year MOT from £50 to have a full decat.
They estimated the bhp from the centre and bb to 270bhp on the insurance, so just wondering what they'll do for the end result?, 300bhp?.

Next is a call to them and see what the added costs are?.

Today I was still uming are arhing about whether to get it done or not, after all the final bill will be around £1000. Right now this very minute its a YES, and say sod itget it done, as its always been on the list to do for the last year. Just need more convincing from you guys maybe
Old 25 June 2008, 07:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on when your insurance is up I would phone Moley. You won't get cheaper and your mods are far more acceptable and insured than anyone else.

My MOT costs a friendly £45 !

Get it done mate, a DP is only £100 so no biggy to change it back if you get cold feet. Fuel pump, cold plugs and remap will only cost c. £600 at Mocoms mate and you will get somewhere in the region of 330bhp I expect. Get the DP on the H&S GB too