ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

exhaust and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2008, 12:53 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust and warranty

Does fitting a none prodrive exhaust invalidate the subaru warranty.
Thinking centre decat and backbox or maybe just backbox for now until warranty runs out in december.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:05 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

yes it does. prodrive are the only ones that you would be able to fit and still have the warrantry.

cheers
Old 26 June 2008, 01:06 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

even just a back box?
Old 26 June 2008, 01:09 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

I was told that anything backwards of the 2nd cat would be Subaru warranty friendly

Don't touch the cat's though
Old 26 June 2008, 01:11 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

sorry to say it but yes, even if you had a problem say with a lose trim you would not be able to get it replaced cos you have put the rear box on. but i know some garages that have done it before. you could risk it but i would get a prodrive one from subaru and have that fitted.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:12 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

i hope thats true. im looking at a car tomorrow with the standard exhaust so im excpecting to be underwhelmed compared to my my99 uk turbo with centre and backbox. Could cope with getting a new backbox now and then the centre in december when warranty is out.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:14 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=mickp;7965886]I was told that anything backwards of the 2nd cat would be Subaru warranty friendly

Don't touch the cat's though:nono

sorry but your wrong.
if your car had a rear box fitted and your engine went pop and subaru looked at it they could say it was down to the rear box and you will have to pay for it to be sorted.

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2008, 01:16 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leonski
Does fitting a none prodrive exhaust invalidate the subaru warranty.
Thinking centre decat and backbox or maybe just backbox for now until warranty runs out in december.
If its just a BBox, ask the dealer if they will fit your aftermarket BBox for you. Just keep the old one in case they require it to be refitted for their warranty paperwork. Most dealers are happy to do this.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:21 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyseston
sorry to say it but yes, even if you had a problem say with a lose trim you would not be able to get it replaced cos you have put the rear box on. but i know some garages that have done it before. you could risk it but i would get a prodrive one from subaru and have that fitted.
This is also inaccurate. The only things void on a Subaru warranty by using after market parts are if the problem you are claiming under warranty can be directly caused by the part in question. The problem with this is of course they could claim (obviously incorrectly) that a back box can cause any engine damage, it is for you to be able to prove otherwise. If you modify the engine it has no bearing on the body work and you are fine under warranty. I know this first hand.
Old 26 June 2008, 02:52 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leonski
even just a back box?
I asked 2 dealers when i first got the car. Both said a backbox was fine.

It turned out that 330bhp and all other mods was also fine for getting warranty work done.
Old 26 June 2008, 03:10 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

[quote=andyseston;7965902]
Originally Posted by mickp
I was told that anything backwards of the 2nd cat would be Subaru warranty friendly

Don't touch the cat's though:nono

sorry but your wrong.
if your car had a rear box fitted and your engine went pop and subaru looked at it they could say it was down to the rear box and you will have to pay for it to be sorted.

Very worst case scenario maybe but consumer law does offer lots of protection these days and there would have to be some unquestionable evidence relating an engine failure to an aftermarket B/Box before Subaru could void someones warranty.

It was a Subaru dealer who advised of the 2nd cat rule so that's good enough for me.
Old 26 June 2008, 03:13 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I would suggest keeping the original and refitting it for those special moments when you speak with Mr Subaru... much like how people who have decats do.

If anyone on here with a decat takes it off every time they go on the road I'd be very surprised

I doubt very much that anything back from the cat on the downpipe will cause any harm at all buy like i say, to be safe, keep the originals.
Old 26 June 2008, 03:33 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

I was told by Sparshatts when I bought my 03 STI, that the only parts that would be invalidated warranty wise are the ones that were taken off and changed for after market.

I had a problem with my gearbox and they went about fixing it when I had a Cat back system, Dumpvalve and uprated springs and shocks with out issue.

I kept all the oem parts and could have changed them back in the event of a major problem..

I personally would change what you want and just be prepared to put the car back to stock in the event of a major problem before taking it to the main dealers.

Vash