Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

whats are specs cameras set to?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2008, 07:16 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've often wondered myself as trucks cruise past me at 55-58....
Old 30 June 2008, 08:09 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

its not worth chancing anything over what it says as i dont trust the mobiles at all as they are there for the safety of the work force near by bit different to a normal mway if you think about it.
Old 30 June 2008, 08:11 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i was on there today doing 55 sixty untill i hit a fooking huge traffic jam then i was doing 5mph for 2 hours . ahhhhh
Old 30 June 2008, 10:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Legend has it that if you swap lanes between cameras you're immune

TX.
Old 01 July 2008, 12:25 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

stun...
Old 01 July 2008, 12:42 AM
Danuleson
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
Sorry, that doesn't work. S.p.e.c.s works on a number plate recognition system, so when it sees your plate for the first time the system just times you up until the next camera. With the distances between cameras pre-determined before they are put up (for arguements sake lets say 0.5 miles between cameras) it just times you over a distance, and if you are consistantly over the limit by more than 10% through a number of cameras then you'll get a nice letter. So, it doesn't matter if you're in the fast lane or the hard shoulder, if you can see the camera.....then the camera can see you.
Old 01 July 2008, 12:46 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Ah, but they're only licensed to check one lane at a time between one set of cameras. Switching lanes does work so legend has it I try & "hide" behind the car in front of me too so they can't "see" my plate Fun & games!

TX.
Old 01 July 2008, 01:06 AM
Danuleson
Scooby Newbie

Sorry, but legends/myths or whatever, changing lanes between cameras won't be of any use. One camera is enough to cover a dual carriageway, whilst they will be in pairs to cover 3 or 4 lane motorways. As for needing a licence for the lanes, the pictures from the cameras can be viewed on a screen by a controller, in a similar fashion to the mobile camera vans so they can see any lane any time. The cameras aren't just limited to one lane at a time, do you really think that our penny pinching government would be that silly to pass up the possibility of giving out more fines to the poor old motorist.
Old 01 July 2008, 01:14 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danuleson
Sorry, but legends/myths or whatever, changing lanes between cameras won't be of any use. One camera is enough to cover a dual carriageway, whilst they will be in pairs to cover 3 or 4 lane motorways. As for needing a licence for the lanes, the pictures from the cameras can be viewed on a screen by a controller, in a similar fashion to the mobile camera vans so they can see any lane any time. The cameras aren't just limited to one lane at a time, do you really think that our penny pinching government would be that silly to pass up the possibility of giving out more fines to the poor old motorist.

its numberplate reconision though,,, it aint a bloke checking all the reg's and then seeing where the get at but a computer !!!

reason i know this as i went through them same cameras at over a ton at 3am when my plate fell off and ive not heard ****e about it at all !!!

and i was REALLY over a ton too !
Old 01 July 2008, 01:15 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

All older style cameras (big yellow box- with film) give you 10mph above the speed limit, bascially as everyone's speedo calibrations are different. I checked my SEAT LEON againt gps system and was about 5-6 mph out.

The newer style small box (digital) on top long pole are different they work off a pad in the road once you pass the pad you can go faster straight away.

The latest cameras are lot more accurate you do have to watch out for the, 49 MPH in a 40 MPH zone should be ok thou. Remember With the older style you have to be flashed 3 times the newer ones twice, then you know your f****d.

The latest style of cameras don't really even need a flash they do flash to let the driver know that a pics been takin.

Good luck
Old 01 July 2008, 02:09 AM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Motorway camerea's work off speed averaging. The changing lane thing doesn't work.

Taking a chance if they are being enforced that day or not, if you brake the limit.
Old 01 July 2008, 08:33 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
This is true when multi cameras are watching individual lanes. If there is only one camera watching two lanes, I believe thay are enforceable. I do tend to zigzag down the A14 though
Old 01 July 2008, 09:51 AM
New_scooby_04

I think ACPO guidelines state that speed cameras should be set at 10% of the relevant speed limit +3 mph, but that is only a guideline and each force can set their own margins if they wish. Basically, if you see a camera, stick to the limit, not worth the risk!

IIRC TX is correct. It's not that SPECS don't work when a car changes lanes, it's simply that they are not licensed for more than single lane use by the HO. Can't see that lasting though!

Ns04
Old 01 July 2008, 12:21 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

i know how truck drivers get away with the ones which are facing so would catch the rear in that the trucks are soo long all the get is the side of the trailer which if its a container on back or a trailer without companies name they wont know who to charge!!
Old 01 July 2008, 12:34 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I do this run nearly everyday. My speedo reads 55 mph whilst the gps reads 50. I drive at the speedo reading of 55 and loads of cars/lorries overtake me.

I've requested a FOI to the highways agency regarding numbers of vehicles caught and successfully prosecuted but they won't let me have any information. they wouldn't even tell me how many foreign plates are caught, let alone prosecuted.
Old 01 July 2008, 12:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luther999
I've often wondered myself as trucks cruise past me at 55-58....
They have a calibrated speedometer / speed limiter. Your speedo says 58mph, but Im sure that theirs says 55mph. Ive never heard of an HGV being caught by SPECS cameras and as result Id happly drive through a SPECS enforced area on the limiter (if that speed seemed appropriate obviously).

Simon
Old 01 July 2008, 12:50 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SqeekyMclean
Motorway camerea's work off speed averaging. The changing lane thing doesn't work.

Taking a chance if they are being enforced that day or not, if you brake the limit.
turning around and going back the other way confuses them loads and you will not get a speeding ticket
Old 01 July 2008, 12:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I think ACPO guidelines state that speed cameras should be set at 10% of the relevant speed limit +3 mph
True!

Well that's the answer i got when i asked a chief kuntstubble i knew and also a traffic officer.
Old 01 July 2008, 01:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

10% + 2mph, the ACPO no longer espouse this leniency though...
Old 01 July 2008, 01:53 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just for info, somewhere I have a quote from the manufacturer of the average speed cameras admitting that if you change lanes the camera can't keep tabs on you. They were in the process of improving the system to prevent this. How you tell the difference between new and old cameras and whether they have solved this problem is unknown, but this time last year changing lanes did work.

Drivers can avoid speeding tickets...by changing lanes | Mail Online
Old 01 July 2008, 02:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
10% + 2mph, the ACPO no longer espouse this leniency though...
Spoilsports!

I don't get why folks want to push it though; if you see a camera in a 50 limit, don't exceed an indicated 50mph....this may well mean you are actually doing less than that, but the police won't accept an appeal against a ticket on the grounds that you bumped your speed up to compensate for a speedo calibration error!!

Besides you can always make up time when you're out of the camera zone!!
Old 01 July 2008, 02:05 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Its an average at the end of the day - amazes me how many people stomp on their brakes when they come up to a gantry
Old 01 July 2008, 02:10 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I do this run nearly everyday. My speedo reads 55 mph whilst the gps reads 50. I drive at the speedo reading of 55 and loads of cars/lorries overtake me.

I've requested a FOI to the highways agency regarding numbers of vehicles caught and successfully prosecuted but they won't let me have any information. they wouldn't even tell me how many foreign plates are caught, let alone prosecuted.
Have you tried the local safety camera partnership for the FOI request. You need to make smallish requests for data, as they will reject you if you ask for too much at once.
Old 01 July 2008, 03:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
stun...
I just got that!
Old 01 July 2008, 05:31 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Its an average at the end of the day - amazes me how many people stomp on their brakes when they come up to a gantry
cracks me up too, then some zoom off again. it's not a gatso ********!

i live near the complete foul up that is the A2 widening/moving and all this talk about switching lanes etc to get away with a fine i struggle to believe. when they did a stretch further up the A2 IIRC they made over £1.5m in fines, they're not going to risk losing revenue so i'll take it as read that they work 100%.

personally i find it loads less stressfull cruising along at 50 rather than sneaking over the limit and spending too much time looking for cameras to hit the brake pedal!
Old 01 July 2008, 07:43 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

it is possible to go through the second half of an average speed traps as fast as you like providing you travel the first half at half the posted limit or less.

just do the maths
Old 01 July 2008, 09:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by andy97
Have you tried the local safety camera partnership for the FOI request. You need to make smallish requests for data, as they will reject you if you ask for too much at once.
Yep, tried that.
Old 01 July 2008, 09:15 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Speed camera's uk website:

SPECS Speed Cameras

SPECS average speed camera systems utilise state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of a minimum of two cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators fitted on gantries above the road, so they can work day or night. SPECS speed cameras work out the vehicles average speed, given the time it takes to drive between the two camera positions.

SPECS average speed cameras are fitted either at the roadside or in the central reservation (as pictured below) a set distance apart to create a speed controlled zone, or where appropriate, groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network.

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras. There is no film used for SPECS.

SPECS are commonly used to enforce speed limits on dual carriageways and motorways. This is because one SPECS gantry can monitor up to four lanes of traffic at any one time.

Nottinghamshire currently has the most SPECS speed cameras with no less than 43 pairs all located in permanent sites.

SPECS speed camera are currently in use in permanent locations in the following counties: Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Greater London, Northern Ireland, Strathclyde, Cornwall, Gloucestershire and South Yorkshire.

In addition SPECS average speed cameras are being used in the following temporary locations: Hertfordshire, Kent, Wiltshire/Berkshire, Devon, Perthshire, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Staffordshire and West Midlands.

View all SPECS speed camera locations within the Speed Camera Database.

Quote from the manufactures of SPECS system. "The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours".

Points and Penalties

Being prosecuted in the UK by a SPECS speed/safety camera system can result in a minimum of 3 penalty points and a £60 fine. This fine amount is currently under review by the government and may increase in near future.

Last edited by SqeekyMclean; 01 July 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: whats are specs cameras set to?