Nearly killed on the A1 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2008, 08:09 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nearly killed on the A1 yesterday

Hi guys

Was taking my girlfriend back home to Pontifract yesterday up the A1 from Cambridge, was around the Doncaster area abt 9ish when a red Golf went past me, didn't think much of it, I was doing the limit and he decided he wanted to go faster, fair play the road was mostly empty, anyway after a couple of mins I was coming up to some traffic so went into the fast lane to overtake, went past the first car fine then got to the golf that had slowed down, as I was catching him I started to realise he was speeding up a bit, didn't think much of it as I get it some times so just sped up a little bit more to get past, wasn't going mad or anything just normal motorway driving speed really, as I was passing him I noticed his speed increase some more and said to my girlfriend "I think I have a bit of a **** hear" and sped up a little more to see what he would do, he decided to stay with me all be it slightly back, I then noticed a car in his lane that was getting close fast, the guy showed no sign of slowing in fact as I slowed to let him past he was speeding up! , I had no choice bet to put the breaks on in the end to let him past before going up the back of the car in front of him, shore enough as I put some breaks on he swung violently in front of my car missing me by very little and by the looks of it he was only inches from the other car.

I know what some of you are prob thinking "you was racing" but I wasn't this all started with me legally overtaking the golf and all happened in a very small amount of time, the guy must have bee suicidal or something, like I say people don't seem to like being overtaken by me some times but most would have done the sensible thing and backed off, waited for me to overtake the other car and then made there move if they wanted to, after passing the second car I would have quite happily moved out the way as I had now interest in racing him I was just driving my girlfriend home.

The sad thing is I don't think the golf driver realises I probably saved his life! if I was a **** too I could have easily kept my foot down and left him with nowhere to go but instead on realising that he was intent on playing chicken I did the only thing could and applied my breaks to give him room.
Unbelievably on overtaking the other car he went straight of anyway at the next slip road and had to slam his breaks on as it was a sharp bend....guess that's two of his nine lives gone....****!

Just wondered what you guys would have done, or if you have had similar experiences, from now on if the car I am overtaking speeds up substantially I will just slow and let them past.
Old 13 July 2008, 08:40 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time, best option I find is to open up properly and get past. Don't know what it is with these people. Same mentality as those who speed up and close up your safety margin when overtaking on single carriageways.
Old 13 July 2008, 09:00 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Yeah cheers that's what I was trying but the guy was staying with me! guess I could have dropped a gear but it all happened so quick as we were already doing way too much by the time I braked, wasn't expecting a race, if I was I would have shot passed quick to start with.

Some people out there are just insane! theres been many a close one before and most with people carriers or hot hatches, scoobys and the like seem to be driven far better in my experience than most normal cars, the amount of times i Have been over taken by a woman in a saxo etc or some plonker in a people carrier doing over a ton easily and in the wet too some times is astounding! people just don't seem to be aware of the danger, this guy tho was just insane.
Old 13 July 2008, 09:02 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

theres always some muppet and his mother who want to have a go
Old 13 July 2008, 09:41 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Not being in the position I couldn't give you a truthfull reply, but in my head I wouldn't of broke! I would of carried on as I was and if **** happened, then I hope he would be insured.
Old 13 July 2008, 11:26 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think that you did the correct thing, you saw a situation developing and took action accordingly.
I use the A1 quite a lot and enjoy driving on it, more so than most motorways, but yes, you do have to have your wits about you !

JBL
Old 14 July 2008, 12:03 AM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

I'd have done the same and broke.

Couldn't give 2 sh*ts about the Golf bragging in a pub to mates how he did a Scoob. Even though you'd have been 100% not to blame had he hit that car in front you'd have felt partly responsible for the innocent party being involved in an accident you could of helped prevent.

Or, if you there was a smash other witnesses might of said you 2 were racing so again, although 100% innocent and not to blame you could find yourself in trouble with blues and two's anyway.

People who drive like that will get there due rewards eventually anyway, just I hope when that happens there on there own in the car in the middle of no-where away from innocent drivers going about there business.

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2008, 08:52 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

I too yesterday had some bozo in an Audi.. I was doing around 65/70 in the outside lane on the 303 near Basingstoke, traffic was heavy and quite bunched up with the inside lane doing about 50 with huge spaces between them when some plonker in this Audi come up the inside doing about 75 and just braked hard and pulled in front of me and then braked hard again..I gave a few "shaking the Kenco coffee beans " not very lady like I know but the temper rose. What's the point of keeping a safe distance from the car in front when idiots like this pinch it and nearly caused me to rear end him and probably give myself 3 points, I tell you it was very close, inches.. Again after he'd this to me he then went up the inside and back out again just lane hopping as and when it suited, why.. I actually wondered if he'd just pinched the car ?
Old 14 July 2008, 09:53 AM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

You did the right thing mate....this happens to me everytime i drive on a motorway i just seem to attract w**kers, i just let them get on with it, i like my clean licence.
Old 14 July 2008, 10:07 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The single point of failure was here....

"I think I have a bit of a **** hear" and sped up a little more to see what he would do
DCI
Old 14 July 2008, 10:36 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Its amazing how many people say they have sooooo many drivers that think they can race you! I have hardly none around where I live They get ignored if I can't be arsed and I if I can be bothered they get a bit of a blitz just so they know not to bother
Old 14 July 2008, 12:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

When overtaking make sure you can easliy out accellerate the vehicle you are overtaking, just in case they develop red mist and want to stop you. 400bhp is usually more than enough to dispatch the jealous ones.
Old 14 July 2008, 12:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by andy97
When overtaking make sure you can easliy out accellerate the vehicle you are overtaking, just in case they develop red mist and want to stop you. 400bhp is usually more than enough to dispatch the jealous ones.
How much does yours have again Andy?

Ns04
Old 14 July 2008, 01:00 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
How much does yours have again Andy?

Ns04
Just a tad over
Old 14 July 2008, 01:43 PM
New_scooby_04

Old 14 July 2008, 01:45 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
The single point of failure was here....

DCI
Point of failure? I was over taking him!, he sped as I was doing so as some ***** do, so I did the usual and sped up a bit more to pass safely and "see what he would do" most drivers seem to like to accelerate to make you go faster and then they slow down, he had fallen behind but then accelerated along side me, when I sore the car ahead and noticed him going along side doing a suicide run I had to dab my brake to give him room....point of failure? .....yeah maybe, if I was psychic and knew his intentions wouldn't have sped up more, but I'm not a psychic so as far as I am concerned the failure was all on his driving not mine.....don't you just love trolls who pick up on one part of a post and try to insinuate something, do you work for the media by chance mate?

On a lighter note I did see a lane weaver get justce a while ago, it was an M3 weaving in and out of traffic on the M11, after a few undertakes he went speeding off at an exit only to be flashed by a camera ..it was a good day.
Old 14 July 2008, 01:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JPF
Point of failure? I was over taking him!, he sped as I was doing so as some ***** do, so I did the usual and sped up a bit more to pass safely and "see what he would do" most drivers seem to like to accelerate to make you go faster and then they slow down, he had fallen behind but then accelerated along side me, when I sore the car ahead and noticed him going along side doing a suicide run I had to dab my brake to give him room....point of failure? .....yeah maybe, if I was psychic and knew his intentions wouldn't have sped up more, but I'm not a psychic so as far as I am concerned the failure was all on his driving not mine.....don't you just love trolls who pick up on one part of a post and try to insinuate something, do you work for the media by chance mate?

On a lighter note I did see a lane weaver get justce a while ago, it was an M3 weaving in and out of traffic on the M11, after a few undertakes he went speeding off at an exit only to be flashed by a camera ..it was a good day.
Playing devils advocate for a moment:

I think what DCI meant was that you'd remarked to your GF that you suspected that the driver might be a bit of a plonker and wanted to race, but you still accelerated past him. Maybe the best thing to do would have just been to keep him in front of you at that point? Overtaking twonks, no matter how legitimate the move may have been, just provokes them. Ok if you've got a quiet stretch in which to see em off properly, not so good in traffic.

Let em get on with it mate. Not worth your time quite frankly!

Always remember the saying: "he was right, dead right, as he drove along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong!"

DCI isn't a troll btw, just a smart **** (I'm just smarting cause he got the last work in on the policy thread!)

Ns04
Old 14 July 2008, 02:09 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Sad to say it's one of the reasons why I got rid of my Scooby road car - I'd had enough of every idiot on the road trying to have a go.
Old 14 July 2008, 02:12 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Playing devils advocate for a moment:

I think what DCI meant was that you'd remarked to your GF that you suspected that the driver might be a bit of a plonker and wanted to race, but you still accelerated past him. Maybe the best thing to do would have just been to keep him in front of you at that point? Overtaking twonks, no matter how legitimate the move may have been, just provokes them. Ok if you've got a quiet stretch in which to see em off properly, not so good in traffic.

Let em get on with it mate. Not worth your time quite frankly!

Always remember the saying: "he was right, dead right, as he drove along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong!"

DCI isn't a troll btw, just a smart **** (I'm just smarting cause he got the last work in on the policy thread!)

Ns04
I was already passing him at that point tho and made the comment as I noticed him coming back along side me, I was braking very soon after, guess my post isnt clear enough. I agree with you, if I had known he was going to do what he did I wouldnt have past in the first place. troll comment was a bit harsh and I take it back, just delayed anger from nearly being run off the road I think grrr......ok chilled now, alls good