Accidents

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2008, 10:39 AM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accidents

Hi all,

Has anyone on here ever had a bad accident either in a Scooby or other car?
I have had a couple of close escapes over the years and it's really knocked my confidence. I have my Scooby now (which I am still selling by the way) and to be honest, I drive it like an old woman...haha. I can't help it, I just can't get previous close escapes out of my head.

First encounter was a few years ago when I had a Peugeot 205 1.9GTI. I was coming back from Pugfest and was in a convoy with a load of other pugs when the traffic on both sides of the road suddenly came to a halt. A car on the other side of the road must have been going some and couldn't stop quick enough. It went into the central reservation which wasn't the usual type (they were the wire type) and it elevated the car about 30ft in the air and over our heads into the bushes, luckily it missed the cars but as the traffic started moving again, I could see people rushing over to where it had landed (about 200ft behind us). It didn't look good at all.

Second one was when I had my GTI-6 and had been to another show. I was on my way back and in the fast lane at the time just doing 'slightly' over the SL when my bonnet flew up. It smashed the windscreen in and I couldn't see a thing. I slammed on the brakes and put the hazards on and heard beeping behind me. It was a very busy motorway and luckily the cars by the side of me put their hazards on too and let me move over to the hard shoulder. I was shaking badly and when I got out the car, my legs wouldn't hold me up and I fell over haha. The bonnet was hanging on so I closed it, got back in the car and went along the hard shoulder for about 20metres at 5mph when it came up again. This time it came off the hinges so I binned it on the side of the road and drove home with no bonnet. I got stopped by the police about 5 miles from home and they ended up following me to make sure I was ok.

The last one was about 2 years ago, this time it was in my 206GTI. I was travelling back from Bournemouth in the early hours after DJing (this one is quite funny if you think about it that way). It had been a long day and I had been up for around 24 hours. I was driving back and falling asleep but was holding it togeather. As I was overtaking a coach on the dual carriageway to get on to the motorway, I saw a load of girls at the window on the coach all flashing their boobies!!! That was fine but in the same split second, a rabbit ran out from the central reservation and I swerved to avoid it. I nearly hit the coach. I slammed on my brakes and then swerved right across the road and ended up on the side of the road facing the other way! Very scary.

So, anyone else have any stories of close esapes?
Old 15 July 2008, 10:44 AM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

You ever tried giving up and riding a motorcycle? lol
Old 15 July 2008, 10:53 AM
GaryCee
Scooby Regular

Haha, I think I am allergic to Peugeots!
Old 15 July 2008, 11:45 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Had a few. Binned a bike, stuck the nut on a telegraph pole and woke up in hospital having been through MRI scan etc. That was fun. Not keen on slippery conditions!

That said, 6 weeks ago, another bike smash, avoided the pole but managed to break my hand. Still rode home though. Nails.

Had a fairly big one in the car, coach on the wrong side of the road resulting in a total write off. I still don't like big stuff coming towards me but it doesn't stop me having a spirited drive.

Best advice is just keep driving, pushs it a bit, do a track day and get some confidence in. The bonnet thing is hardly your fault and neither was the other one. Advanced driving course, spotting hazards early might also help you be more confident in what you are already doing. sometimes having it confirmed that there is nothing unsafe about your driving can be a good thing!

5t.

Supra meets coach

Old 15 July 2008, 11:52 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

always remember, roads are dangerous places its the morons who use them that make them that way!, nowadays i stick to trackdays for fun
Old 15 July 2008, 01:49 PM
Dowsie WRX
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple now and they have both been in scoobies Rather embarassing though as they were only sport models

First one was a silver V reg Scooby sport. Was travelling down the A127 London bound between Rayleigh Weir and A130 slip road @ midnight on a Sunday (on way home from girlfriends). A Fiesta Si and Pug 306 go caining past me in the outside lane obviously racing eachother, I actually done the sensible thing and didn't bother going with them.......instead just sat back and carried on cruising along at roughly 65-70mph....to cut a long story short....these two numpties that had raced past me crashed into each other further down the road leaving both cars blocking both lanes of the A127......i didn't know this until i came round the bend and saw two cars sitting there! To say i hit the anchors would be an understatement.....anyway the police ended up closing the A127 for a few hours while they cleared the mess up......luckily now one was injured badly, just a few scrapes and bruises!

As soon as my insurance company paid me out, off i went and bought another Scooby sport (the black one in my profile)

Sadly this one ended up skidding off a roundabout and knocking down someone's 6ft garden wall and uprooting a BT telephone box (no one uses them anyore anyway) Funnily enough.....i crashed on the Friday night, first thing Saturady morning the little BT man was out with his red and white striped tent fixing the telephone box - he finished sometime on Sunday and them Monday morning another car knocks down the new phonebox and finishes off the wall for me!!!

Had MY00 UK Turbo now for just over a year and not even a close shave to speak of!
Old 15 July 2008, 02:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only accident ive had in a performance car is being hit from behind at a roundabout in stationary traffic, apart from that, 2 scoobs (my00 classic uprated a bit and a spec c), 3 gti-6's, 1 309 gti, 1 r19 16v, nope, no accidents, though i did roll a works astra diesel van walked away from that one with just a broken little finger, gf at time was not impressed

Tony
Old 15 July 2008, 02:45 PM
ISLANDMAGEEZER!
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine had a bit of a brown stain moment a while ago.He was travelling down a hilly country road at night in the rain and overtook a people carrier,as he went past it,it sped up trying to keep him in the other lane so when he pulled in his rear bumper hit the front of the mpv causing him to spin out,up the bank on to his roof,chop down a phone line,roll 3 times then he went through a security fence of a caravan sales place which then fell onto several caravans causing damage to them,before scraping to a hault in its carpark.the mpv slid sideways so hard the two drivers side wheels buckled in on themselves.My mate got out completly unhurt as did his passenger and everyone else involved.It was a stupid theing to have done imo,but he lost his licence and got a hefty fine.I have one not so good photo one my phone i;ll try and upload,but he's going to send me the police photos,and i'll get those up to show you how much impact these cars can handle!The foof was completly flat packed!!! Lucky boy!!!
Old 15 July 2008, 03:05 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an accident on the same bit of road twice, within about 25 metres of each other.

First one was travelling along at 60mph and a jeep pulled out from the t kunction, crossed 3 lanes and I went into the back/side of it. Not a lot left of that 205.

Second one, going up the same hill. I been driving home from work for about 20mins all the roads were fine, was a cold night though, but for some reason there was a load of sleet and ice on this particular bit of road, as I noticed it was a bit too late as was doing 60mph hit the ice and spun a couple of times and hit a tree. A couple of other cars coming down the hill spun off as well. Was quite scary waiting to be towed away with the traffic going past.
Old 15 July 2008, 03:59 PM
chezb
Scooby Regular

I was involved in a serious accident in January in my Impreza, which was not my fault. The speed of impact was over 100mph, and 4 people sadly lost their lives (they were in the other car). I've gotta go to the inquest next week.

My Scoob was a total mess, but it stood its own, and my and my fella are here to tell the tale.

I've got pics of my car, but don't know whether to post them. Don't want to feel like I'm being disrespectful as I know one of the girls sisters has been on here before.
Old 15 July 2008, 04:08 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

dopey walker not lokoing tbefore crossing ended up in this

Old 15 July 2008, 05:08 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Hit a tractor that had parked up in a lane, the chap driving it had stopped and jumped out to open a gateway into a field to His right. I came up the road behind the tractor and he pulled right across in front of me, never seen me approaching from behind as the trailer He was towing blocked his view. Killed my old XR4I, stove the near side front wheel right up into the gap between the engine bay and wing................
Old 15 July 2008, 06:18 PM
tompka
Scooby Regular

I had a Rover 220 GTi when I was in the Army.
Was ragging it down the runway with a couple of my mates in the car.
A car with another soldiers wife in it came from another direction.
Where the runway met the road I had right of way anyway so she should have stopped.
She ended up clipping the back of my car which led me to flip.
Rolled 3 times and landed on all 4 wheels.
Car was a right off but everyone got out fine.

Last one was when I bought my typeR.
Didn't know what the C-Diff done and was testing it out.
When I got it the diff was all the way to the front.
Meaning all the power to the front wheels.
Went round corners and felt the back end slip out.
Kept it on the road though.
Ended up driving down a straight and planted it to 60mph.
Since I went round the corner at 10 lol.
Ended up spinning and ended up in a bramble bush on the side of the road.
Car needed a new driver door and the side skirt had fell off.
Went back and got the skirt.
Car still lives today haha.