ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Crash helmet buying, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2002, 05:09 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I'am looking to buy a Crash Helmet soon, What should I be looking for?

I know it usually has to be Grade A Certified and British Std, but its all going over to European approvals now. So what do I need Minimum for an SIDC/other track day and karting?

I'am looking to spend the minimum possible as I'll be lucky to use it twice a year.

Cheers
Iain
Old 05 February 2002, 05:19 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

a bog standard open face one from MotorCycle city is circa £100 (isn't it?) .. just an idea...

Alex

PS. or halfords do the mountain bike ones if your strapped mate
Old 05 February 2002, 05:32 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Really this boils down to how well you are strapped in.
I know on a crash I had once, the seatbelt popped out...
If you have got full race harness, then open face should be fine, but personally, with a normal seat belt, I would run for a closed helmet.
Face on steering wheel at 120mph due to a popped seatbelt doesnt sound to good to me.
Old 05 February 2002, 05:35 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Comming from an bike rider's point of view, go for a helemet with an ACU gold sticker, this means it's approved for racing (bikes at least) and has been through the most stringent test's on the market.

And you should be able to pick one up for around £100-140, however you can pay lot's more but if you have the ACU gold sticker then it should be good enough, the extra cash would be for tings like removeable linning's, extra vents n stuff all nice to have but if you are only going to use twice a year stay away from brand names like shoei and arai, blooddy good kit but you pay for the name !!

Good luck,

Phill
Old 05 February 2002, 05:36 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've seen an FM for £86. Full face and fits just right. We used to use FM when karting as their quite light, so I think it sould be OK.
Anyone know anything about the new European approval thing?
Old 05 February 2002, 05:43 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Smile

Speak to the guys at GP Racewear, they sell all sort of helmets for karting, car and bike racing and will be able to help you with approvals and stuff. They may be more expensive than motorcycle shops!
http://www.grandprixracewear.com

Scott
Old 05 February 2002, 05:44 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Iain

I would go for a open-face, i have a full-face at the mo and your face gets so hot it makes you feel sick and gives you a nice headache at the same time

Who needs a full-face when your not gonna crash anyway you've got an airbag

Scott
Old 05 February 2002, 05:46 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I got an ACU Gold/Type A helmet for about 80 quid from a motorcycle shop. Bieffe and AGV ones seem fairly cheap, but best to try them on (some of the larger sizes in one brand were tighter on me than the smaller sizes in another brand). I've seen motorcyclists with both Bieffe and AGV lids on, so they can't be too bad.
Old 05 February 2002, 05:56 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

if you value your teeth/nose I wouldn't go open face. In the event of something bad happenning you need all the protection you can get!

greg
Old 05 February 2002, 05:57 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Iain,

I got mine from a local motorcycle shop.

Cost me £80 and it has all the certifications and legal to use on the road with a motorbike (and fine for go-karting and trackdays)

They had ones for £60, but my head was too big for them!

Andy
Old 05 February 2002, 05:58 PM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Demon Tweeks have a Sparco open face one for £55.I also saw a full face one at the local Halfords for £50 ish as well.

Chris
Old 05 February 2002, 06:08 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

The Demon Tweaks open face is OK for track days, but not for motorcycle use - depends what you want.
A lot of people use open face, Colin McRae etc - good enough for him - good enough for me
Old 05 February 2002, 07:30 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

ZAZ,
I'll give GP a call tommorrow, Cheers

All,
I do value my face, it may not be much but its the only one I've got So I was going full face. You never know what you might need it for!!
I'll just remove the visor for cooling.

McRae might have an open face but he's also got a full harness, rollcage and ***** on titainium I don't

And as for buying anything from Halfords ............!

Thanks for your replies, it sounds like the FM may be the way to go though I have got one other avenue to cheak fist

Iain.
Old 06 February 2002, 06:21 PM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

Iain

Find out what size helmet you need (try at a bike shop etc), as a friend of mine runs a bike shop in Bookham so should be able to get you a knock down price on Suomi and FM helmets

I might even have an old Arai giga in the loft (I'll have to look?), if so you can have that gratis.....Only problem might be that this helmet is used to speeds of 175mph+ (Bike not scoob before I get flamed for telling porkies)

Thanks again for organising a top meet on Sunday

Tony
Old 06 February 2002, 09:10 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

SIMPSON
what els can i say snell is beter than gold

garry( allso a 175mpher+ gixxer1100)

what ever you get it is better than none

Old 07 February 2002, 08:06 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

It really does depend on what you want it for.

If you want to do some Hillclimbs & Sprints which are governed by the RAC MSA then you need an approved helmet. Something like a helmet which meets BS 6658-85 A/FR standard.

Try looking here for a list of FIA approved standards for helmets.
Its a PDF file from the FIA web site.

http://www.fia.com/Regle/REG_TEC/Lis...or_helmets.pdf

I use a full face helmet. Like this

But my brother and his mates use on of these.

(Taken from Demon Tweeks Web site.

It really does depend which style you prefer. To be honest I find my full face helmet a bit of a pain in the car as I find it slightly claustrophobic and restrictive.

My helmet meets BS6658-85 A/FR.

Just as important as safety standards ** MAKE SURE IT FITS PROPERLY **

[Edited by Blackscooby - 2/7/2002 8:13:00 AM]
Old 07 February 2002, 08:25 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Hi there!
im getting a new lid myself, i prefer open face, i think your visibility is better and not as chlaustrophobic (sp)
i spoke to demon tweeks and they were saying the 55 quid one will do the job but it looks like 55 quid (sh1te) they do a sparco open face for 138 quid, no vat as its BS stsndard.
methinks i might try that.

cheers Lee
Old 07 February 2002, 09:24 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I thought the simpson bandits were pulled from sale some time ago due to lack of acu stickers?

I looked at buying one but the quality of them compared to an arai looked very poor. looking at the inside was like looking into an eggshell!

Having ridden bikes for quite a few years can't recommened anything more than an arai really.
RX7RR for lost of vents and it never steams, shoei not bad but not quite as good (and do seem to mist).

Old 07 February 2002, 10:03 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Simpson bandits are banned in the uk for highway use as they never got the UK Kite mark, aka black visors etc, which is a shame as they look the nutz, but having said that I wouldn't trade any of my Arai's for anything else, as they say you only have one head, if you break it you aint gonna repair it.....

I would get for a car an Acu Gold approved lid, better to be safe than sorry, can get them from £125+ from any bike dealer.

Tony, I can get hold of my m8's 186bhp / 160kg Erion Fireblade if you fancy going out for a ride in the next couple of weeks on a sunday early morning (to avoid the piggies!), give me a shout m8
Old 07 February 2002, 10:19 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Hairy muff m8, I didnt know that

Bravo you find it noisy? I've heard they are very loud, ear plugs required stylee....

Must admit i've been pulled for wearing my Arai with black visor / iridium visors, but been let off as it's daytime, my argument was how come you can 'legally' wear a pair of sunglasses up to 70% tint under a clear visor but you cannot wear a black visor which usually they are under 50% tint i believe, they are like erm erm
Old 07 February 2002, 10:34 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

M8, I totally agree with you, I remember being pulled once on my RGV250 cos it was smoking, I was like "ITS A F@@KING 2 STROKE, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?????"!!!!

Yeah about the black visor thing you are 110% correct, I can't ride with sunglasses, they hurt, uncomfortable plus like you say they steam up big time, black visors are needed, totally agree with winter sun plus early morning rides / summer afternoons, in the evening i usually wear my lightly smoked visor cos it takes the glare off headlights, you know how it is when you are caning i reckon 6/10 cars have wonky headlights gets right on my tats!

I agree with the police stopping bikers for no reasons, it's cos we are a minority, an excuse cos obviously every biker is dangerous this is very obvious cos 66% of all bike crashes are caused by car drivers, makes me laugh when they say speeding is dangerous too, what was the statistic 5%? was it for all bike speeding related crashes last year?? >
Old 07 February 2002, 10:53 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Catch you later m8!

Yeah as Bravo has said, FM, Shark maybe AGV they seem pretty cheep nowdays get some good deals on those, Shoei do some good budget lids too.
Old 07 February 2002, 11:01 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

I've been riding bikes for more years than I care to remember and I've pretty much always bought Arai helmets. The reason is I have an 'Arai' shaped head (!) and they fit me the best. There are loads of other manufactures who make helmets of a similair quality (Shoei, Bell, Simpson, AGV etc) so go for the one that feels the most comfortable. Open face helmets are fine in an enclosed cockpit but you will not be able to use it for Karting...I actually find open face helmets make me feel 'exposed' (ohh err misses)

Buy the best you can afford and always remember what an old and bold biker said to me when I was a teenager on a moped....

If you got a 2 bob head buy a 2 bob helmet...

Good advice

Jeff
Old 07 February 2002, 05:29 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for all the advice Guys

Well I've bought the FM helmet as it was the most comfortable in my price range. So now as I sit here polishing my helmet I say Thanks once more

Iain.
Old 07 February 2002, 05:32 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

hehe, good luck with it m8

Quick Reply: Crash helmet buying, advice please