WTF? Didnt realise these existed

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2008, 03:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTF? Didnt realise these existed

Torque GT Ltd : V-ltd WRX Type R (RA Spec) Version 4

V-ltd WRX Type R (RA Spec) Version 4 (1998/R)???????
Old 15 August 2008, 03:57 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dont , i am sure there is a thread on this car over on the type ra website. Edited to say i may be about a different car i am not 100 percent sure.
Old 15 August 2008, 03:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Seems dodgy right enough
Old 15 August 2008, 04:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a WRX Type R to me. The advert isnt explained as clearly as it might be, but compared to some of the rubbish posted on SN I think that its reasonably clear!

Its a two door bodyshell with standard WRX running gear. They have an applied model number which suggests that they are actually a Type-RA, but Subaru didnt market them as such. The only real way to tell would be to establish what the engine and transmission number were and compare them to those of the equivalent 4ED and 47D models.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 15 August 2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 15 August 2008, 04:23 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I heard that there was a small run of a few examples of Type R RA's you know, sort of 2 door coupe with RA spec.
Old 15 August 2008, 04:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
I heard that there was a small run of a few examples of Type R RA's you know, sort of 2 door coupe with RA spec.

correct, somebody else on here has one.....
Old 15 August 2008, 05:07 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

One of our members on Type-RA.co.uk - Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd, visit the WRX forum & Subaru forum lives in Japan and he went direct to subaru Japan to find out about the 2 door ra........

Its fair to say it has an ra chassis code but Subaru only ever marketed it as a type r v ltd......never a type r ra or 2 door ra...

Taken from our site....

Went to the local Subaru (as in Subaru's own) local tuning shop and got them to check the FAST computer. They checked the car in questions VIN number on the computer (unique to that car so the info on the page is about that car and only that car: GC8-066177) and.....

...the applied model code for that exact car is GC8E27D so on that he is OK. But, the car is listed by Subaru as a WRX Type R V LTD. That is how it was sold and what it should be sold on as.

The guy at the shop also checked the parts that that car was given at the factory and it left the factory with a standard Type R box, not a type RA close ratio box. He then phoned someone in the know who explained that that model code is explained by the fact it has a Type RA chassis with a Type R shell and all the rest of the Type R stuff stuck on. The reason for this was that the V Ltd's that were loaded with all the optional extras (as RichB's car is) ended up weighing an awful lot so the chassis was switched to balance this out. Now this does tally with what the guy selling the car has said, but it still isn't an RA. Suabru are adamant that the car is nothing more or less than the VIN number indicates: A WRX Type R V Ltd.

I was always under the impression that the Type R had a stiffer chassis and that was what made them special. Why take away the major advantage of a Type R???

There you have it. I f anyone wants to see it, the guy at Subaru printed the page for this car off of the computer so there can be no dispute over this.

Trending Topics

Old 15 August 2008, 06:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This post is a breath of fresh air.....
Old 15 August 2008, 07:45 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for explaining that for us all to understand exactly what is what.
Old 15 August 2008, 08:28 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. You've obviously went to a lot of effort there to get that info.
Old 16 August 2008, 09:47 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Info was sourced by Rikimaru......our resident expert in Japan.

People will always list these cars as the 2 door ra or type r ra,which is easy to assume as the chassis no. indicates an ra......

Was nice to get to the bottom of the 2 door ra myth....
Old 16 August 2008, 10:27 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

this type R/RA myth is better than a episode of mythbusters!!

Myth BUSTED!!

Old 16 August 2008, 11:43 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive always maintained that they werent, because the engine numbers that Ive seen have been straight WRX. I hadnt seen enough to be sure though.

Last edited by GC8; 26 August 2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 19 August 2008, 08:19 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Ok, so its not called a type r-ra or whatever, BUT

theres is a wrx coupe type R V-limited
’†ŒÃŽÔ’T‚µ | ƒNƒ‹ƒ}Eƒ|[ƒ^ƒ‹ƒTƒCƒg Goo-net
and

a wrx STi coupe type R V-limited

They all appear to have the Roof Scoop and the antenna above the drivers window as per RA. With the Sti having dccd and the wrx not having it......

So these cars definitely exist.....at least in Japan they do
Old 19 August 2008, 09:16 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85
Ok, so its not called a type r-ra or whatever, BUT

theres is a wrx coupe type R V-limited
and

a wrx STi coupe type R V-limited

They all appear to have the Roof Scoop and the antenna above the drivers window as per RA. With the Sti having dccd and the wrx not having it......

So these cars definitely exist.....at least in Japan they do
The first car is the wrx type r v limited.......which is the confuser with the ra chassis code...

The second car is a version 5 wrx sti type r limited.......has chassis code and applied model code for a type r limited...

They both exist in the uk ....ie fatmanscoobs version 5 limited....and the car Richie B had for sale.....
Old 19 August 2008, 09:20 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
The first car is the wrx type r v limited.......which is the confuser with the ra chassis code...

The second car is a version 5 wrx sti type r limited.......has chassis code and applied model code for a type r limited...

They both exist in the uk ....ie fatmanscoobs version 5 limited....and the car Richie B had for sale.....
Nice

So do these 2 cars actually have the same chassis as the type RA? what ard the similarities between the above 2, and the normal 4door RA's?
Old 19 August 2008, 11:08 AM
type-ra
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

The press release for the Type R V-Limited & the 2 others is here:

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/pdf/1998_v_limited.pdf

They were, as stated by Rooferman based on the RA , but marketed as a WRX Type R V-Limited.

Sorry for the poor translation - 5/10 for Google & 1/10 for my bits.

HTH

Last edited by type-ra; 19 August 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: more info
Old 19 August 2008, 01:17 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i purchased that from Rich B on Saturday
Old 19 August 2008, 02:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85
Nice

So do these 2 cars actually have the same chassis as the type RA? what ard the similarities between the above 2, and the normal 4door RA's?
The Type-RA was the cheapest car in the range: the 'chassis' to which you refer is identical to the equivalent WRX... If the engine codes are identical to the WRX models (as the two that I landed both were), then its a WRX.

Last edited by GC8; 26 August 2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 26 August 2008, 05:29 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

One of our members on Type-RA.co.uk - Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd, visit the WRX forum & Subaru forum lives in Japan and he went direct to subaru Japan to find out about the 2 door ra........

Its fair to say it has an ra chassis code but Subaru only ever marketed it as a type r v ltd......never a type r ra or 2 door ra...

Taken from our site....

Went to the local Subaru (as in Subaru's own) local tuning shop and got them to check the FAST computer. They checked the car in questions VIN number on the computer (unique to that car so the info on the page is about that car and only that car: GC8-066177) and.....

...the applied model code for that exact car is GC8E27D so on that he is OK. But, the car is listed by Subaru as a WRX Type R V LTD. That is how it was sold and what it should be sold on as.

The guy at the shop also checked the parts that that car was given at the factory and it left the factory with a standard Type R box, not a type RA close ratio box. He then phoned someone in the know who explained that that model code is explained by the fact it has a Type RA chassis with a Type R shell and all the rest of the Type R stuff stuck on. The reason for this was that the V Ltd's that were loaded with all the optional extras (as RichB's car is) ended up weighing an awful lot so the chassis was switched to balance this out. Now this does tally with what the guy selling the car has said, but it still isn't an RA. Suabru are adamant that the car is nothing more or less than the VIN number indicates: A WRX Type R V Ltd.

I was always under the impression that the Type R had a stiffer chassis and that was what made them special. Why take away the major advantage of a Type R???

There you have it. I f anyone wants to see it, the guy at Subaru printed the page for this car off of the computer so there can be no dispute over this.