ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

v7 sti type uk bug eye

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2008, 02:01 AM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v7 sti type uk bug eye

hi guys just a few questions about the car, has anyone got any experience with this model?? iv had alook round one today at the local subaru dealers. so im thinking of selling my classic for one,

are these engines stonger than the classis??
what bhp would they be good for on standard internals??

thanks for any advice, kyle
Old 16 August 2008, 07:12 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i love mine, but not had any experience with a classic
i would assume the classic is quicker standard
wiley
Old 16 August 2008, 11:59 AM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiley
i love mine, but not had any experience with a classic
i would assume the classic is quicker standard
wiley
cheers wiley. anyone else
Old 16 August 2008, 12:28 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Bigger, heavier, better brakes, six speed, lsd's, tougher engines...

Mine's making around 360 bhp with bolt-on mods, clutch is fine, brakes o.k., Whiteline bits tidy up the standard understeer, noisy exhaust is popular.

Any specifics a PM is useless as my PC is dead ! Sorry...

DunxC

P.S. Against a Type-R mine lost a couple of car lengths out of slow corners, but easily gathered it back under braking.... at Blyton of course.
Old 16 August 2008, 02:55 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

It's been a while since I sold my classic and didn't go straight to the Sti so maybe the memory makes this slightly less accurate but my impressions are:

Sti build quality is MUCH nicer, great seats nice 6 speed 'box Air con etc. It all feels a lot more solid

Performance - I don't think there's a massive amount in it both cars being standard, the sti has more power - 261 but is heavier. THey both have that mid range punch when the turbo kicks in

I've not modified mine yet, but from comments here and my research 300-350 bhp is safe and easy enough and I hear it makes a massive difference. I'll probably confirm that soon!

Handling this is probably where the memory perhaps plays a trick and maybe this observation is just that I was 5 years younger when I had my classic and didn't know what it was like being involved in a crash! I reckon the sti doesn't feel as sure footed or predictable when really pushing on, mine tends to snap out a little unexpectantly which I really don't remember in my classic. Extra weight could be the obvious factor, extra years also! and tyres will come into it - mine has toyo proxes, always had the re 070s on the classic, will be changing them shortly so we'll see what difference that makes.

Brakes (brembo) in the sti are much stronger

Having had both, would I take the sti in your position? if looking to get some more power or the car was already ppp or modded then yes, otherwise I think I'd stick with the classic That's for a 99 model. I guess the older it is the more you'll appreciate the better build quality of the Sti. I reckon the sti7 is a serious performance bargain, you get a lot of car for your money and you can get them at seriously tempting prices.

Good luck!

Martin

Last edited by martin_oleary; 16 August 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16 August 2008, 03:05 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine is good for at least 400bhp, and people have run up to 460. I'd get scared at about 440. Mine runs about 372bhp ATM. The rest of the drive-train is even more robust, with clutch and gearbox good for over 450 - although the clutch will go a bit quicker at that sort of power.

Yes, it's a bit twitchy near the limit on standard tyres (Potenza RE040s), but much more predictable on Eagle F1s. Add an Whiteline rear ARB and it's a pussycat.

M