ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Selling a car with private plates

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2008, 05:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car with private plates

I'm wanting to sell my car but i want to keep my plates.
With the car selling market as it is it could take ages to sell so i am reluctanct to take the plates off right away.
Is it possible to advertise the car with them on and event of the car selling straight away claim them back to put on my next car or must they be taken off as soon as the car's up for sale and put on retention.
Hope this makes sense.
Nik.
Old 28 August 2008, 05:28 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I'm wanting to sell my car but i want to keep my plates.
With the car selling market as it is it could take ages to sell so i am reluctanct to take the plates off right away.
Is it possible to advertise the car with them on and event of the car selling straight away claim them back to put on my next car or must they be taken off as soon as the car's up for sale and put on retention.
Hope this makes sense.
Nik.
You can advertise the car with the private plate still on the car but be sure to include in the advert "Plate NOT included".

Make sure you have all the paperwork ready to go then once you have a sale agreed and a deposit in your pocket go down to your local Vehicle Registration Office and apply to have the plate put on retention.

That is almost certainly the quickest way to do it.
Old 28 August 2008, 05:30 PM
H12MRO
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do would be put them on retention before you sell.
If a cash buyer turns up and offers you cash on the day, he would want the car straight away.
If you kept the plates on the car, you would only be able to take a deposit if your lucky and delay the new keeper from taking it off your hand and maybe even putting him/her off.
When you put the plates on retention its valid for a year anyway, then once you have your new car transfer them as and when your ready.
Old 28 August 2008, 08:08 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

deffiniatly get the plates swapped before selling the car.

getting the plates back can be a hassle if you don't own the car as you would have to wait for the new owner to get the paper work back etc and then trust them to change the reg back.

also it can take upto 6weeks to get everything back so if your wanting to sell better do it now.

also you will need to get a new MOT cerfiticate, Tax disk etc so that it all matches the new/original reg