Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is there a lot of difference between wrx and sti(03)

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2008, 12:26 PM
daz_vx220
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a lot of difference between wrx and sti(03)

Hi guys im currently selling my civic type r to buy an 03 plate wrx sti. I used to own a 52 plate wrx a few years back and wasnt really that impressed, no faster than the civic and alot dearer to run. I love the look of the sti and was wondering how different they actually are. Anything i need to look out for that could cost me £££££. Are the engines/gearboxes reliable, will be looking at one with around 50k on it.

Cheers guys
Old 30 August 2008, 12:33 PM
H12MRO
Scooby Regular

Standard WRX 225 bhp
WRX with PPP 265 bhp
Standard WRX STI 265 bhp
STI with PPP 301 bhp

What STI you going for ?

With regards to a scooby with 50k on the clock, FSSH is always a good start and make sure its had the big service done with regards to belt change.
Dont really get many problems with them as they are built to take a bit of stick.
Less owners the better, If its a scooby brother then oil changes done every 5000 is always a plus aswell.
Bodywork - Might have the odd stone chip on the front due to the shape.
The only problem ive ever had with my scooby's was a problem with a wet spare wheel on my last one so check that area for leaks.

Last edited by H12MRO; 30 August 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 30 August 2008, 01:16 PM
New_scooby_04

I short, yes, there is a big difference in the way the car feels and performs mate. Sti significantly harder and more focused! Feels much faster than the WRX than the 40bhp would lead you to think and is a better base from which to tune.

You can do great things with a WRX and keep it as a sensible car, but if performance is your key criterion, then it has to be the Sti IMHO

Ns04
Old 30 August 2008, 01:17 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

WRX = night & STi = day. It's a simple as that!

TX.
Old 30 August 2008, 01:25 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

What about mine:

Subaru : WR Blue WRX STi Type UK
Old 30 August 2008, 01:49 PM
daz_vx220
Scooby Regular

Not really bothered what age either 01, 02 or 03. I like the bugeye and there is a nice one on here for £7800. Black, 44k just had major service and only 44k. Thought was a good price. Been looking at a cat D as well dare i say it 53 plate only £6800 with history and low mileage.
Old 30 August 2008, 02:10 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Most people who buy a wrx wish they had gone for the sti, its a totally different animal to the wrx and is a far better car in every way, the sti has stronger engine internals to handle the extra power and better suspension than the lesser wrx and that's just the start, don't get me wrong though the wrx is a great car but the sti is in a different league and with ppp added awesome.

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2008, 02:24 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
how much without the baby seat?
Old 30 August 2008, 04:03 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by daz_vx220
Been looking at a cat D as well dare i say it 53 plate only £6800 with history and low mileage.
Let me guess it only had a *** burn on the drivers seat

Never understood this. OK Cat D cars are cheap (1/3 less than non Cat D say) but you may be buying a f*cked car - why take the chance especially if you're gonna spend £7k!!

TX.
Old 28 September 2008, 10:16 PM
brocksta
Scooby Regular

have recently sold a 52 plate wrx loved it to bits fanstastic car real head turner full body kit full de cat /induction kit/big brake upgrade but sadly developed an internal engine problem so bite the bullit an traded it in at a local dealer at big loss could have sold it private but dint have the heart to rob someone of there hard urned cash basicaly lossed 2500 out me own pocket but stuck a few more cash in and got a box standard sti type uk 53 plate with 48 thou on it the difference between the two was mind boggleing i find it hard to believe you think your type r was as quick as a wrx but believe its not even close to an sti completly different machine wouldent even waste my time racing a type r these days get one brought you wont be disapointed amazing car laughed like a little boy first time out in it