ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2008, 08:44 AM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding

If a marked police car is parked at night with no lights facing oncoming traffic, can they clock you for speeding without giving chase? Can they give notice later by post?
Any help appreciated.
Old 31 August 2008, 01:39 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 31 August 2008, 02:01 PM
The Greenwood
Scooby Regular

Yes, they can use a home office calibrated stop/start time system to record a vehicle between two given points (usually white marks on the road or the gaps between street lights/gantry's etc which are uniform distances). Divide the time over distance etc and your average speed is calculated. It is an old fashioned system but still used. They can also use laser/radar handheld devices or follow you using the VASCAR system. IIRC you will get a NIP in the post within 7 days if you have been rumbled.
Old 31 August 2008, 02:06 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

i think they would usally stop you, if you were doing mega speeds, usally there checking tax and insurance stuff.
Old 31 August 2008, 02:08 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

He was just round a right hand bend, so markers shouldn't come into it
I was under the impression if its handheld they have to catch you/stop you and show the speed etc.
Old 31 August 2008, 02:27 PM
Tim010
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by imf1
He was just round a right hand bend, so markers shouldn't come into it
I was under the impression if its handheld they have to catch you/stop you and show the speed etc.
Yes that is correct if they are using the handheld laser gun. A NIP needs to be posted to you within 14 days. I wouldn't worry about it though and I doubt you will receive anything from them.

Tim
Old 31 August 2008, 02:36 PM
The Greenwood
Scooby Regular

There are so many variables to this, they could of been on a doughnut break, waiting for someone in particular or waiting for some absolute tit hooning at an insane speed. My 61 year old mother was pulled in a laser/rader cash gathering operation and was given a ticket for 36mph. Whilst she was being spoken to they pulled at least another two speeding drivers and when she asked why they were not prosecuted was told something to the effect that the calibration on the device was in question with the other drivers. Welcome to Gordon Brown's UK and use your vote. This is the 3rd time my mother has been caught at 35/36mph in two years by cameras etc. Yes she was speeding and breaking the law but the police do not pull over all the uninsured ******* etc as they cannot afford to pay the fines and fill Labours coffers, anyways they will be back behind the wheel of another pool car and driving again the same day.

The police will never upset the mega rich as they will just move abroad taking their money with them, nor will they target the people who don't work (bless them all) as they don't pay the fines. All they can do is target the legitimate motorist who must have some kind of disposable income and fine them.

Trending Topics

Old 31 August 2008, 02:50 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, thanks for taking time to reply, really appreciate it.
I had been following a dick in a Range Rover and as he turned right I pushed past him in second gear where I then saw Plod parked just round a right hand bend, facing me with all lights off on opposite side of road. I lifted immediately and braked a little, all this in a 30 zone at around 23.30 hrs on a section with no houses etc, and he made no effort to come after me as I followed limits after my stupid frustration.
Old 31 August 2008, 03:02 PM
fl6
Scooby Regular

Old 31 August 2008, 03:06 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular