ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scammed but got (some) money back

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2008, 02:29 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Scammed but got (some) money back

Like most users I've bought parts from other members and have always been pleased with the products and service. However, I recently agreed to buy a Momo gearknob:
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...****-more.html

which I thought would make a nice accompaniment to my Momo steering wheel. After paying via Paypal I waited for it to arrive. A week passes and I haven't received or heard anything so I contact the seller and also the person that I made the payment to (I believe them to be different). No response from either, so I go through the Paypal process of reclaiming funds: this has resulted in most of the money being reclaimed.

The purpose of the thread is to warn other members: if this user/seller advertises the same gearknob again I would think carefully before agreeing to purchase it.

At the end of the day it was only £35, but I suppose the 'credit crunch' is affecting some more than others...

Nick

Last edited by Nick_Cat; 31 August 2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 31 August 2008, 03:50 PM
M535I
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mate money is money if you earn it its yours and you worked for it the amount is irrelivent glad you got some back .
Old 31 August 2008, 03:56 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Seems a small amount to scam you by even though it happens all the time but one thing is that person could have died, lost PC and forgot passwords, etc. I have had this happen to me by a user who then contacted me a few weeks after and sent me goods on later.
Old 31 August 2008, 04:05 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reano
Seems a small amount to scam you by even though it happens all the time but one thing is that person could have died, lost PC and forgot passwords, etc. I have had this happen to me by a user who then contacted me a few weeks after and sent me goods on later.
Yes point taken - the thought did cross my mind and I wondered whether the seller had gone on holiday. But after a month without any contact and the fact that Paypal would also have contacted the seller to enquire about the transaction, I think it is fair to conclude that I was never going to receive said item.
But I could be wrong, it could turn up tomorrow, in which case I'll eat humble pie and make my apologies.

Nick
Old 31 August 2008, 05:35 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

people dont just scam for large amounts some people think o well ill try and rape him for 35 and maybe he/she wont do anything and just keep waiting (i think paypal have a time limit on reclaiming )

£35 is alot of money to everyone i was gutted the other week when i lost a £5 note at work i was asking everyone but in this day and age no one admits to finding some money
Old 31 August 2008, 06:01 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Going through similiar thing with a member on here also so i know how you feel mate and i've kept quiet on here but since this thread has come up i'll say my piece too!!.
I paid for goods on 6th August and nothing through my door either.
I'm not one to shout and slag people off either but this user just takes the biscuit.
Again only £40 but the fact my car is off the road while i wait for said item is a fookin joke.
HDC subaru have come to the rescue and were very helpful indeed.
What makes me laugh even more is i've seen posts from this individual slaging off other members and advises people not to buy from others in the wanted section!!

YES 404BHP i'm talking about you!!

Just to add i've brought from others and had no problems what so ever
Old 31 August 2008, 07:04 PM
M535I
Scooby Regular

name and shame any and every one who messes you around saves them being able to do it again on hear !
Old 31 August 2008, 09:46 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My mistake! I've jumped the gun.

The member has got back to me and it would appear that he genuinely didn't realise about what constituted the 'working kit' for the Apexi boost control. Hopefully, I should get it sorted amicably one way or the other.

In case you're wondering what I'm going on about, I've deleted an earlier post in this thread, as it had a link to a thread started by me about the member which had his SN ID in (it has since been deleted by the mods on my request).

Terribly sorry people.
Old 01 September 2008, 12:52 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

That would be me bloody hell mate give me a chance it was a sat night you were contacting me on im 23 i was out with my pals thats why no reply till the sunday when i rose.

Least will be sorted soon.

Greig
Old 01 September 2008, 02:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX_SWRT
That would be me bloody hell mate give me a chance it was a sat night you were contacting me on im 23 i was out with my pals thats why no reply till the sunday when i rose.

Least will be sorted soon.

Greig
Yes, once again my apologies.

As already mentioned to you, I've just come off the back of massive expense and was freaking out a bit.

I should have taken a step back and painted a picture in my mind of a likely scenario i.e. as you've mentioned above.

Plus, I should've realised that you had probably made an honest mistake as you did send something... and quickly too.

Anyway, I'm glad we are now singing from the same hymn sheet....